Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyas, I've posted before but since ALL the threads have been deleted I thought I'd post again :D

So anyway, I've been in the planning stages for 3 months to do a 2.3 N/A conversion to Turbo and so far this is what I've learned I'll need. (Special thanks to Turbonotch and all the others from here who posted and helped)

Essential Items:
8.1:1 Forged Turbo Pistons
Garrett T03 Turbo
E6 Exhaust Manifold
2.3 Turbo Throttle Body
Large Vam Meter
Gillis boost valve
EEC-IV LA2 (or LA3) Computer Module
Bypass Valve (Bosch/Saab Unit)
High Performance Felpro Head Gasket 1035
K&N Filter (Conical Style)
Volvo Intercooler
4.0 Ranger HD Radiator (23.5" x 20" x 1")
Electric Hi-Flow Fan
Autometer Phantom Boost Gauge (30psi)
Autometer Phantom Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
+Various related hardware to install items above

From what I can tell I don't need the intake manifold or a new head. My friend is selling me a Garrett T03 Turbo, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, E6 Exhaust Manifold, Half the Vam meter (other half is damaged) oil return lines and that's it I think but the other parts are no biggie. I can buy most of em cheap off ebay.

So am I correct in my assessment of the parts I'll need? I don't think I'm missing anything.

JK13

·
Registered
128 Posts
looks like you got it covered - are you using stock or aftermarket rods? what wiring harness are you going to hook everything together with?

for a little inspiration... I started out the same way you are - 3 years ago... becareful - it is addictive. Here is my latest rendition (from turboford.org):

Just for a reference.

here is what i know *will* be on it (already own):

- .040" 1984 SVO block torque plate bore/hone
- Esslinger D-port street head with *MAYBE* a quick cleanup of the port if it looks like it needs it
- main and head studs
- off the shelf dished turbo pistons (should be about 8:1 CR)
- billet crower rods *used*
- thunderbolt motorsports 4 into 1 header
- 94 Supercoupe TB
- gutted/rotate upper intake
- anti-pumpup hydraulic adjusters
- roller followers
- PTE .63 Stage III T3/60-1
- 3" exhaust elbow with factory internal wastegate
- Isuzu NPR boxtruck intercooler
- 2.5" turbo to IC and 3" IC to TB intercooler hoses
- MSD 6AL with launch control and MSD coil
- stock oil pump
- stock auxillary drive/distributor
- Bailey BOV
- Unorthodox Racing Serpentine Underdrive pulleys (may or maynot use depending on cooling)
- Homemade water/alky injection setup with a 60psi pump, a Graiger mini-mister nozzle, NOS selonoid to allow precise water/alky release at a full 60psi

here is what I also plan to do/still have to buy:

- holley commander 950 management system
- custom ground schneider roller cam
- 3.5" downpipe/exhaust
- 83#/hr injectors
- (2) walbro 255lph hp pumps
-8 feed/ -6 return lines
- SVPU fuel rail

- fuel pickup tapped from BENEATH the factory EFI tank within the factory fuel baffel to acheive the same result as an aftermarket pickup, but with gravity feed for the two inline pumps.

I think that is all the horsepower related stuff . Realistically, I plan to run this motor on 94 Octane Sunoco Pump gas with water/alky injection (at about 20psi). At the track it will probably live on 108 octane Unleaded and water/alky injection (at about 25psi until I get a good idea of how hot the intake charge is). I'd like to get pretty deep into 400rwhp territory on the motor alone and try to turn a 10sec timeslip (wouldn't we all)

It will be a while before I turn to nitrous probably won't do it unless I feel I've run out of room to improve the above setup or if I manage to start getting the chassis ready for certification (which depends heavily on what I am generally doing in life and how racing fits into my lifestyle), but when/if I do I'll either have it setup to be enriched via difference pulse widths on separate fuel maps OR propane enriched.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be using Crower rods and the stock 4 banger wiring harness supposedly that's possible) Nothing too fancy. Most of my "sources" for this are the local car parts store and the junkyard. I'll also use a 5.0 fuel pump to keep everything going VROOM!!!

The idea behind all this is to have an ultra reliable 230hp daily driver that gets 25+ MPG and gives me the least amount of headaches in ownership costs. If I could install Air Conditioning on this thing I would LOL, that's what kind of car this is gonna be. In a few years I might make it a race car but for the moment it's gotta pull double duty. No sense spending too much on it at present.

What I'll do is buy a 1985 Mustang SVO in a few years and tinker on that car with the knowledge I've gained setting up this one.

JK13

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah - the simpler the setup - the more fun you have, but sooner or later, many of us go big. :)

the N/A harness is PIE... take the wiring pin out diagram for the turbo harness and the one for the N/A harness - change move 1-2 pins on the N/A harness and add the wires for the VAM... bingo you're done.

i did this on my first turbo car and it went together nice.

here is a good page for wiring info...

http://gt350r.stangnet.com/

·
Registered
228 Posts
Why not just buy a smashed Turbo coupe and swap. That is probabpy the easiest way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I could find a T-Bird/Cougar Turbocoupe or Merkur XR4Ti to swap the engine in, I would :( But unfortunately in my area these cars were/are not very popular. I've looked in a lot of place and have a hard time finding something as simple as a manual transmission for my Mustang in a scrapyard. So you can imagine a T-Bird Turbo!

So I work with what I got, which ain't much. But I comfort myself knowing that even had I had a Turbocoupe to swap everything from I still would have rebuilt the engine to like-new specs. So in the end it comes out to the same thing except that I don't have a bashed in TBird that no one wants rotting in my back yard.

I also thought of the 5.0 swap but it seems a tad more complex than the 2.3 Turbo thing, what with all the rewiring from front to back, changing the rear end, brakes, suspension, tranny, radiator & everything else. This is my first big foray into building cars so I want to keep the headaches and initial $$$ at a minimum :D

Will keep y'all posted to how it turns out!

JK13

·
Registered
228 Posts
Scraps

I just went to pull-a-part today at lunch time. They have 2 turbo coupes and 1 turbo cougar XR-7. Too bad you don't live in the Atlanta GA area. ,No rust either. (I grew up in Rochester NY so I've seen rust)
Good luck with your project.
JW

·
Registered
2 Posts
ya, might also want to get some bigger low-impedence injectors. also I would reccomend getting a VACUME/BOOST guage, it helps in diagnosing engine problem. You might also want to look at getting a BOV(blow off valve), extends the life of your turbo by significant amount.

later,
david

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah - you need 35#/hr low impedance "brown top" injectors for the LA2/3 computers or it will be running lean (not good).

·
Registered
5 Posts
So turbonotch, Your saying that in order to convert a N/A car to Turbo the only wires you have to change on the harness is for the VAM? Just wondering if it is that simple?

·
Registered
128 Posts
No it isn't exactly that simple...

you need to go down the pinout list and compare...

there are 2-3 pins that need to be moved in the connector to another spot (simple procedure)

you need to either add the premium/regular fuel switch OR hot wire it to be on premium all the time

and you need to add the wires for the VAM

as wiring goes - it is one of the easier swaps out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts