Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I need a little guidance. Im 17 and act like I know a lot about cars but I dont, LOL anyways I had wanted to get a SVO y-pipe and run a dual exhaust out the back of my 93 NA 2.3 (wasnt graced with the 5.0 I planned to get when 16) but my dad gave me the save your money speech ... and after readin up I learned the exhaust manifold is real restrictive in air flow on the engine. Im sure theres no aftermarket manifold for the 2.3 so I was wondering if there would be a bolt on from another Ford from the late 80s or early 90s. I came across an SVO aftermarket manifold but is that going to be completely different because of the turbo?

The exhaust buildup was near $300 and the manifold is $200.
Im hoping to get it for graduation ... planning ahead of course.

Anyways thanks a lot guys!!!

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
the 3rd and 6th posts listed under yours in this forum already mentioned something about this :p

stangs4evr-roy said:
the 93-94 ford ranger 2.3 came equiped with 2 different types of exaust manifolds 1was cast iron and the other one was a header this is a straight bolt on swap but if you can use the egr pipe from the ranger too other than that you will have some bending to do

egr pipe needed minor fiddling around but o2 was no problem.I was told it would be a good idea to get it ceramic coated inside and out
SVO42 said:
Also from a Ranger, get the tubular exhaust manifold. It's essentially a factory header. Do some searching and you can find info on it. I think it was used in the early/mid '90s models.
The 89-93 EFI 2.3L Mustang uses a cast iron exhaust manifold that has initial primaries of 1.1" (diameter of tube) the primaries are short and merge into a combined chamber about 1.8" in diameter. The manifold weighs approximately 37lbs.

The Header I am using is a Ford Motorcraft part designed for the 93+ Ford Ranger 2.3L/2.5L. It is a tubular design with primaries of 1.5". The primaries are longer than those of the manifold and merge into a chamber about 2.25" in diameter. It is equipped with an Oxygen sensor hole and a threaded EGR tube connector. It weighs approximately 13lbs.

You may want to send your header to Jet-Hot or any other ceramic coating company to be coated. This preserves the life of the header, keeps the engine compartment cooler, and keeps exhaust velocity high. The header below was coated with Jet-Hot 2000 Black ceramic coating inside and out.
Look in the new 2.3 section of the classifieds for turbo motors.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea ...

Good point but how about the SVO manifold? Do you know if that will fit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The SVO manifold will fit, but it doesn't do you any good without a turbo. Two completly different manifolds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks leach

·
Registered
227 Posts
so whats the name of a good aftermarket upper/lower intake for the na 2.3?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont know of any aftermarket EFI intakes for the 2.3L motor. But you can port the lower intake and gut the upper for turbo motors.

For a n/a car I would port the upper but not gut it. Those runner tubes will promote better velocity in a n/a car. Withe the turbo motor the upper is gutted since the turbo is pumping air through and needs the volume more than it needs the airflow.

·
Registered
227 Posts
how much would that cost - porting the upper and lower?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea what type of price am i lookin at for the port job? and what kinda gain could i expect

·
Registered
227 Posts
bumpity bump bump

·
Registered
72 Posts
Racer Walsh sells a nice EFI intake manifold kit for the 2.3. It will run you under $500 for the kit, but from everything that I have heard about it, it is a really nice setup. Flows nicely, but all of that will be pretty much worthless without a better flowing set of heads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
www.40bob.com ..bob lee ports upper and lower intakes for $80 each.youll have to part with your car till you get it back,or buy the manifolds off of a junkyard car and send those to him.he does both ported and gutted uppers,and ported lowers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
miked - only one head - 2.3

mullet - thanx

·
Registered
371 Posts
I put a dynomax single 2.5 cat back on my 92 & it made a big difference.If you go w/duals you lose low end grunt.Also,you can use the tubular header from a 93 up ranger,& it will bolt right on,ad power & save weight.Do some research & look into doing a complete 2.3 turbo engine swap.I have everything you need cheap,& could possibly deliver parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how much for the stuff you got, maniac? and how much to ship to 18015-bethlehem, pa

·
Registered
227 Posts
Svo Maniac said:
I put a dynomax single 2.5 cat back on my 92 & it made a big difference.If you go w/duals you lose low end grunt.Also,you can use the tubular header from a 93 up ranger,& it will bolt right on,ad power & save weight.Do some research & look into doing a complete 2.3 turbo engine swap.I have everything you need cheap,& could possibly deliver parts.
thanx for the good info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts