Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time to the track last night and was very dissapointed. I had very consistant times but none all that great. I have only been driving a stick for a very short time also so maybe thats y.
Runs in order from left to right:
R/T 1.05 .562 .735 .653 .941 I KNOW THEY ARENT GREAT
60' 2.22 2.29 2.19 2.25 2.29
1/4 15.38 15.38 15.3315.33 15.75(missed 4th)
MPH 91.1 91.7 92.26 92.58 89.33
I didnt feel that bad there was a 96 Cobra I ran against the last race and he only got a 14.85 @91.43. Are these really that bad and let me hear it if I suck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
What is the track altitude? What were the weather conditions that night? When did you shift? You spun a lot, that has a lot to do with it. If you could get a 2.0 you would have high 14's. There are many factors that can hurt track times, so don't feel bad. Take care.

-Billy

·
Registered
672 Posts
Those times could be better. Your 60' should be around 2.0 or lower, depending on what tires you have. Not sure what you have, but if you have radial tires, there's no point in going through the water box. Go around it and just barely heat up the tires to clean them off.

The rest is probably just learning how your car wants to run. Once you get comfortable racing your car and get better/more consisten R/Ts (which have nothing to do with your ET), start trying different shift points on your car.

I wouldn't dwell on those times too much. It was your first time, plus you said you haven't driven a stick that much. Practice Practice Practice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am running Dayton Daytona ZR's. I dont know much about them, but they came with the car. The strip is about 1900 ft about sea level. The tires really dont spin too bad off the line, more like a little chirp. I was shifting between 5 and 5500, takeoff was about 1500.(tried 2grand once and really smoked um) I was looking for my next mod, any suggestions? Almost forgot the temps were in the 50's with high winds.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Learning to Drag

try lauching at 3000rpm and don't dump the clutch feather(slip it) until the car is rolling at 3000rpm then floor it. If you don't let the clutch slip you will anilate your tires and lanch. another thing you can do it power shift, when you shift 2,3,4 don't let of the gas just press in the clutch and hammer the gear to the next and drop the clutch. it will rev up in between gears to probably 6000rpm. You have to be quick though!! This will cut your times down a lot. Get a short throw shifter if you don't already have one, or cut your stock one down if no cash for that. Like the other fella siad no water box, just heat them up... Try leaving on when the last yellow comes on... All this crap will make you faster at the track!!!
Good Luck Bud!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take it from someone who knows correction and elevation. Take .4 tenths off your time if you were at sea level and that isnt allowing for correction, just the 1900ft. in actual elevation. I have run over the past 3 years at 4 diff tracks, 4200ft(my home),2700ft.,2500ft. and 50ft actual. My car picks up .2 tenths for every 1000ft. I go down in elevation. Also figure 1mph per 1000ft. going down in elevation. Things get better dont they?
;)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Where did you run at... I see your from PA, so am I. I run at Keystone near Pittsburgh, but its not openm yet as its being redone:D The above advise is good, but it will take a good bit of practice to get the 300o rpm launch down. I was cutting 2.08-2.09 60's with stock suspension, 3.73 gears, 245-50-16 kelly H rated tires with a 2K launch rpm slipping the clutch. Still though, I was running 15.2 at 90mph with 2.3 60's, so I would think that with a trap speed of 92-93 and a 60' of 2.1, that should be a 14.9 pass or so, how many miles are on the clutch as that could be the culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts