Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What company, or product, can reprogram my 1998 3.8L ECU to run stand alone and disable PATS? I want the bare minimum to run the engine in closed loop. So far the engine has had the PVC bypass and EGR delete. Also, the bottom end is 4.2L with 1998 single port heads. I've asked around and no one can lead me to a solution for the PATS problem. I'm not putting this engine in for all out power. It's just an upgrade from the blown up 4 cylinder. I happen to get the engine cheap when a kid decided to go V8 after building the Wee6. I also have the 4r70w transmission that was with the original 3.8L.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Efidynotuning.com. Hit up @Decipha over there since you can't PM him here.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
are you sure its not a split port?
seems like an aweful waste to go through all that effort and then toss single ports on her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Efidynotuning.com. Hit up @Decipha over there since you can't PM him here.
Thank you.

are you sure its not a split port?
seems like an aweful waste to go through all that effort and then toss single ports on her.
I agree but I got the entire drive line for cheap. I'm not sure the split port will fit under the hood of my Ranger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
better off keeping the 4
It has been dying a slow death. The later 2.3 and 2.5 four cylinder engines had head problems. I've looked for another good used engine for the better part of 10 years and can't find one. My engine died from what most of the others died from, receded valves and cracks between the valves. I talked to several rebuilders. They all have said no bueno. Even the machine shop I use regularly for years has said no deal. Finding a rebuildable head is very difficult at best. There are people selling rebuilt heads online. I bought a couple. They are junk heads with new valves lapped into the receded valve seats, which are cut directly into the cast steel. No replaceable seats, unfortunately. A lot of the rebuilders I have found to be clueless about this problem. A new head casting is $600+ machining and new parts, $1100-1300 complete. No way am I using my old beat parts in a new head. I am into this V6 drama for $500. This truck is my beater for hauling garbage and doing field work when I get a call. If good used trucks in my area weren't going for stupid money, I'd consider buying another truck. Roached out Rangers like mine are selling for $8000-10,000. I tried selling mine, but no one wanted it at $1500. It still runs, but just barely with low compression in two cylinders from the valve issues.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
It has been dying a slow death. The later 2.3 and 2.5 four cylinder engines had head problems. I've looked for another good used engine for the better part of 10 years and can't find one. My engine died from what most of the others died from, receded valves and cracks between the valves. I talked to several rebuilders. They all have said no bueno. Even the machine shop I use regularly for years has said no deal. Finding a rebuildable head is very difficult at best. There are people selling rebuilt heads online. I bought a couple. They are junk heads with new valves lapped into the receded valve seats, which are cut directly into the cast steel. No replaceable seats, unfortunately. A lot of the rebuilders I have found to be clueless about this problem. A new head casting is $600+ machining and new parts, $1100-1300 complete. No way am I using my old beat parts in a new head. I am into this V6 drama for $500. This truck is my beater for hauling garbage and doing field work when I get a call. If good used trucks in my area weren't going for stupid money, I'd consider buying another truck. Roached out Rangers like mine are selling for $8000-10,000. I tried selling mine, but no one wanted it at $1500. It still runs, but just barely with low compression in two cylinders from the valve issues.
You can get a new head with new valves, springs etc for 1300?

If the rest of the engine is good, that sounds like your best bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get a new head with new valves, springs etc for 1300?

If the rest of the engine is good, that sounds like your best bet.
Bottom end is loose. I've already torn down the engine and consulted with the machine shop I use. They said if I can get the new head casting, they can machine it and build the head. Crankshafts are hard to find so if mine is out of spec, I'm hosed. All of the bearings were down to copper and there is light scoring on the main and rod crank journals. This truck has so many other problems outside of the engine, I'm considering scraping it. I can't afford a good used truck with today's prices. I sold the 4.2/3.8 hybrid engine for what I had in it. Thankfully the bottom end is going back into an F150 and the heads are getting work done to go into another Mustang along with the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts