Ford Mustang Forums banner

1997 Cobra Questons - New to Cobras

779 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ls1greyhound2 
#1 ·
Hey, I might be able to get a deal on a 1997 Cobra (can probably talk them down to $9500 but it has 80k miles). I have been viewing the forums and have seen quite a few people blowing up their engines with a supercharger. I was thinking of going the supercharger route but really, I just want to have close to 400 rwhp. How should I go about getting that? N/A or Supercharging? I'm gonna put 4.10s in it if it go Super and most likely if I go N/A (although I might go one step higher - opinions?). Thanks guys!

-Code

#2 ·
quickest/cheapest route to that power and making sure your engine stays around is to get forged rods/pistons, and a used blower with 8lb pulley and intercooler. Upgrade your Maf new or used doesn't matter, and replace your midpipe, again used or new doesn't matter. The only things I would buy new are the rods/pistons, and maybe the blower core, other than that, get used it will save you some cash.

You'll make about 400rwhp with a conservative tune to ensure the car lasts and about 8lbs of boost.

#3 ·
Well, I know the mods I'm gonna do (not really new to the Mustang world):
Pro 5.0 Shifter
BBK LTs (ceramic)
Dr. Gas X mid o/r pipe
Magnaflow catback
Pulleys (if not getting it S/Ced)
Lightning MAF
4.10 Gears
SPEC Stage II Clutch
Maybe a Twin 62mm T/B but not sure if they're really worth the money
NO CAI - I know it's a waste of money
Bullitt Shocks/Struts (Tokico)
H&R Race Springs
I know about the Air Silencer Removal
I don't really want to rebuild the inside of the engine (lots of $$$) so I'm looking on if I can just slap on a supercharger like I could have with a GT or if I have to go the N/A route to reatch the HP I want. Like I said, I want 400rwhp or CLOSE to 400rwhp without blowing the block or working out the internals. Also, are the brakes good enough for around 400 rwhp or will I have to go Brembo? There are probably a few more mods I'd do but I can't think of N/A mods at the moment besides those. Thanks guys!

-Code

#6 ·
Hey Colt. I was refering to Joel's runs with the CAI. Wouldn't they be pretty much the same as the Cobra or with all that power, it's actually being worth something (besides 1-2 rwhp?). Also, a newbie question but how come some Cobras have the Pony in the front and some have the Snake?

-Code

#7 ·
Cobra's come with the Pony on the front from the factory, the snake you see is aftermarket.

#8 ·
Code001 said:
Hey Colt. I was refering to Joel's runs with the CAI. Wouldn't they be pretty much the same as the Cobra or with all that power, it's actually being worth something (besides 1-2 rwhp?). Also, a newbie question but how come some Cobras have the Pony in the front and some have the Snake?

-Code

I guess not all CAI are the same.
Before the WMS I was running 13.3@105 pretty consisent. With the addition of the WMS CAI I started running 13.1@107. I would say it was well worth the money. :)

#9 ·
A stock Cobra with a stock Vortech 8psi blower will make right around 400rwhp...adding the exhaust mods you intend will push you up in the 440rwhp easily. Get 42# injectors, a 255lph intank pump and the t-rex (that comes with the blower kit) and the lightning MAF and as long as you get a competent tuner you should be fine.

Remember though...these engines are not designed to handle the power you'll be making....so eventually you will need a rebuild. Some have been luckier than others in that regard. A few have run years with higher than stock kit boost levels with no problems, others have lost their engines within weeks of supercharging with the stock kit.

What you want to do before buying the kit is do a leak-down and compression test on the engine to see how healthy it is. If all looks good go with the stock kit and get it dyno-tuned. After you have everything working properly you can start adding in other upgrade parts....just remember to recheck your A/F ratios on the dyno.

I made 425rwhp with the stock Vortech SQ trim with FMS shorty headers and a bassani catted x-pipe. That was a 150rwhp gain over my NA numbers...

Tom Crews

#10 ·
After already owning one '96-'98 Cobra here's what I would do according to the mods you've got planned.

1. Skip the 4.10's at least until you GET a supercharger. Get at least 4.30's or 4.56's and then if you get an SC, go back to 4.10's if you want. These cars are awesome NA with 4.30's or 4.56's.

2. Skip the TB unless you're going the blower route for sure. It's worth maybe 1-2 RWHP and for $300, there's better stuff out there.

3. If you want 400 RWHP, you *could* get there NA, but it would probably be cheaper to just slap a blower on.

Personally, I'm going to pony up for some '99-up 4V heads and intake, port them, and slap some different cams in. Try to shoot for the 11's NA and have a very driveable car without the worry of blowing it up.

-Johnny V.

#11 ·
How much better are the 99+ 4V heads from the 97? Also, how much are they? How much would cams be? I was thinking Comp. Cams or am I still living back in the old big block days and there are better companies that supply cams?

-Code

#12 ·
I have ran a Vortech on my stock engine 96 for 2 years / 25,000 miles. I just recently pulled it to build a stronger motor, but not because it blew up. If you get a supercharger have them tune the car 'safe' and you shouldn't have any issues. My car dyno'd at 412rwhp with a 'safe' tune. However, someone once said "if you putting a supercharger on, have the money in the bank for a new motor, just in case"

#13 ·
I don't think I'm going to be going with a supercharger. With a GT, it would have been easier since you wouldn't get high enough to harm the block/internals (375RWHP). I think I'm going to go N/A. Is 375RWHP possible and what should I do to get to that HP?

-Code

#14 ·
My advice: Subframes, Gears, O/R pipe and a shifter. Drive the car and enjoy it. Learn more about the breed by going to events shows and so on. Then come up with a plan and stick to it. No offense but your all over the map right now and that usually results in wasted money on parts that become obsolete as the car progresses. Do each job once, and be done with it.

#15 ·
Yeah, I had a plan when I was gonna buy a GT (get a Steeda Supercharger, SFCs, Full Exhaust, Shifter, Gears and that's about it). Now, this Cobra came up and it just threw me a curve ball because I know so little about them other than the fact that they're slightly stonger, more HP and DOHC (also rev higher). That's the reason I came over here. I wanted to try to develop a plan but it can wait. I'll quit stressing over it and see how things go at the moment. Thanks for the info guys!

-Code

#16 ·
You have a lot of miles to consider dumping money into a supercharger without an engine rebuild. I would consider buying a bottle. With a bottle, you will only put strain on your motor when you choose to spray as opposed to a supercharger wearing on the motor constantly. You will also maintain your full economy. Just run a 75 shot and buy some 430 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.