Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so i'm wanting to lower my car about another half inch to an inch to get the tires flush with the wheel wells. I'm having a problem with the stock x-brace under the k-member. It hangs about an 1 1/2" off the ground and so far the car is only lowered an 1" on all four corners. I have Maximum Motorsport full length XL subframes and was thinking about taking that x-brace off to gain some clearance. I was wondering if anyone had used the 4 point k-member brace that maximum motorsports offers on their vert? Does it hang as low as the stock x-brace? If so i'll leave the stock brace. I know the brace is there for a reason but was hoping i could find something that didn't sit as low to the ground.. Any input?

·
Registered
475 Posts
If this is your only vehicle, I'd say don't do it. Any parking lot with speed bumps may give you trouble even now. If it's a second vehicle and you have to run to the store to pick up something because #1 is in the shop for maintenance, then still maybe no. If it's a third car for shows, meets or track days, then go for it. I'd contact MM and talk to one of their techie's about their brace in comparison to the stock brace. I'm running the stocker, Kenny Brown subs, extreme braces and jacking rails and my convertible is nice a rigid and flex comes from the suspension. Good luck....subscribing to see what others say that have installed an AM piece!

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
I took out the factory brace on my 96 vert and replaced it with MM 4 point. My stocker were all banged up and bent at the bottom plate, The MM sits higher and gave little more clearance. This was on 96, the 94-95 might be same or totally different story.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome thanks for the input guys. Even if the MM brace sits as low as the stock one i may just go ahead and get it anyways, i'm trying to stiffen up the frame as much as possible. The subframes were a huge help, before it felt like a wet noodle when ever i would go over bumps or rail road tracks. and short circuit do you have any under car shots of that MM brace with the car on the ground?

·
Corral Charter Member
11,387 Posts
IIRC, the convertibles also had rocker braces at the pinch welds. These could be adapted to the coupe rockers too. As far as being able to buy them new today - I don't even think you could get them through Ford any more. The part was a steel part that ran the length of the rocker, it had multiple rivets in it to secure it to the pinch weld. From what I can recall, I think there was also a forward or rearward bracing that went across the floor pan too (it's been a while since looking under a SN95 94/95 vert).

If I'm not mistaken, Kenny Brown used to sell a similar bracing kit called "jacking rails". Those were excellent ad ons for frame strengthening and for creating a more rigid chassis, plus allowed the owner to literally jack the car up from under the rockers without damaging the rockers or stock frame rails.

The MM k-member x-brace is an excellent ad on for sure and will perform just as the stock vert x-brace performs, but the MM part is of much higher and superior quality.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Any input?
I posted a fitment question this summer for the exact reason, I have a small 1.0 drop and my x member hits at all the wrong times, not on speed bumps (because I can control the angle and speed) but on waves and dips in the road, I have new shocks and springs. Better the x member then my rack.

I am trying to find a used x-member and modify it, making it higher and with a skid plate, my post was about if there was other models that fit so my search in the CL would be easier, seems like its a 94-95 vert specific part...

If you can keep me in touch with what you end up doing it would be much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts