Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the tranny fluid it my aode in my 95 gt pretty soon and I was wondering what the best way to go about it. I've done it before and I always get full of tranny fluid. Also, whenever i do it the fluid in the converter doesn't get changed, just the stuff in the pan. Do any of you know how I can change the fluid in the converter and the pan myself. Also, how much fluid does it typically take? I'm also going to be changing my brake fluid which I haven't done before so any tips for that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys,
Brian

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, unless you've installed a drain plug in your tranny pan, you just have to take the pan off and let fluid go EVERYWHERE. As far as the converter goes, take the rubber plug out of the bellhousing, and using a big screwdriver, turn the converter until the drain plug is facing downward. Take it out and let it drain. Bingo.

I think our trannys hold like 13-15 quarts, but don't quote me. As far as the brake thing goes, IHNI.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Not necessarily fluid ALL over the place when dropping the pan. Remove all the bolts except a few on the front or the back of the pan. Gently pry down on the unbolted end slightly to separate it from the trans, and most of the fluid will be directed out of a relatively easy to control area. When it slows down to a drip, remove the rest of the pan bolts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The last time I changed mine I disconnected the line to the tranny cooler added some hose to get to drain pan. started engine till no more oil came out then dropped the pan which was pretty much empty this was alot less messy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94topless said:
The last time I changed mine I disconnected the line to the tranny cooler added some hose to get to drain pan. started engine till no more oil came out then dropped the pan which was pretty much empty this was alot less messy.
Is that ok for the transmission? I mean, leaving the car run with no fluid in it? If it's ok for the tranny that sounds like a lot better way to do it. Will that get the fluid out of the converter too?

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts