Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my 95gt rear brakes to cobra spec. I think all i need other than the larger rotor (11.65?) and thinner cobra pads is the bracket to relocate the caliper farther outboard to accomidate the larger rotors. My question is do i need to remove the rear axels to change this caliper bracket or can it be done at the ends of the axle?

Anyone out there done this mod upgrade? and also, am i forgetting anything else i need to do this upgrade?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
all you need is the new rotor, thinner pads, and i think the bracket. the axels don't need to come out.. the bracket comes off the back of the spindel (??)9 and you njust put the new one on.. (i have to take it off every time i do brakes anyway.) check at an autoparts store.. see if there is any difference between the cobra and Gt rotors (besides being vented).

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mgranzow....... i was surfing your site. those MAC guage faces, what are your thoughts on them? how do they look compared to real cobra quages? and have you had any problems with blotchy lighting at night. Nice looking car

·
Registered
162 Posts
mgranzow- have you actually done this swap?

You need the large flat flange that the caliper is mounted on. The Cobra piece moves the caliper further out. There is also an angle bracket that attaches to the axle and the big flange. This is there probably to reduce flex. You'll need the Cobra piece because the caliper mount holes are now further out. If you look at your car you'll see the two brackets I'm talking about. Also, you'll need the larger diameter Cobra vented disks and Cobra pads.

I've been accumulating parts to do the swap and got everything for my swap except for the angle bracket which I guess I'll get at the dealer.

This site is helpful: http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KPL........Thats what i figured. I just wanted to know if i have to remove the axels to get those brackets off, and if in eed any different brake lines due to the fact the caliper is farther outboard. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
visually it looks like the axles need to be pulled as I don't see how to get that big plate R&R'd...I don't think the hole in the middle of the plate is big enough to go over the end of the axle. I haven't had the disks off for awhile so I don't remember how big the end of the axle is. Axles aren't a big deal to pull anyway, just messy with draining the diff.

Stock brake lines should be fine as far as I can tell as they do have a short length of rubber in them, and if need be the metal part of the line could be bent slightly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.