Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing a rear brake upgrade for my 95 gt to cobra spec. The following is a list of the parts i will be using i was wondering if i missed anything and if there is any difference between the 95gt and 95 cobra calipers?

upgrade list:

Cobra rear "power slot" rotors (11.65in)
Cobra rear brake pads (thinner than gt pads to fit thicker rotors)
Cobra rear caliper bracket (mounts gt/cobra caliper further outboard to accomidate the cobra11.65in rotor)

i believe this is all that is required to have cobra rear brakes on my gt mustang.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions you have on installing or completing this upgrade. i will post how it goes when i finish the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the price at www.diskbrakesrus.com I called a ford dealer in the area and he priced out the same parts at $77 a piece + tax. So i think the online place might be a little better.

Also I found rear cobra powerslot rotors for $109 a piece at laurel mountain mustang.

Still havent decided on the type of pads i want, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i don't want the powerslot rotors just yet.. wouldn't be worth it without having the fronts done too.. so i'd just need the bracket, I can get rotors/pads at autozone.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brake upgrade woe's

Well guy's i started on the cobra rear brake upgrade. I bolted up the new disk brake adapter braket to the axel flange. i noticed a additional brace that runs from the the adapter bracket to a clamp on the axel tube to form a triangle style brace. I wondered what this is for and if i need it or not. If so can i get one at the dealer? part # nothing of it is mentioned in the service manual. Also I noticed that the caliper support bracket is very close to the rotor. Can i grind on the caliper support bracket to clearance it a bit or is there a specific bracket for the cobra? thanks for any info you can provide. I would like to post pictures of the install if anyone knows how or where i can post pictures.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
To do the swap you need these parts:

-Cobra rotors (2)
-axle to caliper brackets (2)
-Cobra antimoan brackets (2) - or modify the stock GT ones by cutting and welding
-Cobra specific rear pads

http://sn95brakes.cjb.net

For the braking bias, if you have ABS the computer will be the electronic PV there. If you do not have ABS, then you need to gut the stock PV, install the FMS plug and adjustable valve.

For which is better, if you have 17" wheels go for the 13" front brakes first. That is my opinion.

If you need P/Ns, get them off the FMS directions at the bottom of the page:

http://www.elpasomatrix.com/tech/m2300/brake.html

For the powerslut rotors, you just wasted your money. They crack under hard use.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info guys. I just got back from the ford dealer, i ordered the anti-moan braces $43 a piece and the caliper support brackets $39 a piece. A far as the power slot rotors. I figured that since steeda supplies them on there GT360 mustang that they would be good enough for my street mustang. I am looking to upgrade the apearance of the brakes through my cobra r wheels as well as upgrade the performance from the wimpy stock gt brake system. Overall I think i was successfull. Finally does anyone know where i can post pictures for you guys to see the install?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts