Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm stuck and needing some help. I have a battery relocation in the trunk of my 94 GT. I want to run 12v to the trunk release even when the battery cutoff switch is off. Basically to be able to still get the trunk open in an emergency. I'm stumped on the wiring of the trunk release. There is two wires going to the trunk switch. A black wire to ground and a purple wire with a yellow stripe. When the button is depressed it obviously joins the two. Where does the trunk solenoid get its 12v from? Can't check with a meter because my car has battery and wiring out.

Thank you.

·
Registered
767 Posts
From what you've described, it sounds to me like the switch is throwing a ground to the solenoid when it's pressed. If that is the case, the solenoid always has +12v wired to it, and it would activate when it gets the ground from the switch.

·
Registered
22,422 Posts
power to the solenoid will come from ignition switch, doubt it is hot all the time

if you have found the ground, then you dont have to power it, just follow the other wire

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I went back to the trunk solenoid itself and it has two wires. A black wire and a purple wire with a yellow stripe. The black wire goes to ground and the purple wire with a yellow stripe has continuity with the same wire on the trunk release button. Still don’t understand how it gets its 12v!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The trunk release button has a constant 12v, (with fox bodies it’s key on 12v.) When you mash the button it connects that purple wire from the trunk with 12v and powers the trunk solenoid. (As you stated the trunk release solenoid has a constant ground thru the black wire)

There’s only 2 wires on the trunk release button. Take the one that’s not going to the trunk solenoid and cut it (this would be the 12v supply mentioned above). Add a new wire from there back to the battery with an inline fuse. Now if you hit the cut off switch and the car is powered down, you’ll still have power to the trunk release button to open the trunk.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the explanation GTO44. The only thing that has me confused is the black wire on the trunk release button goes to ground testing with my meter.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that’s how it works, I must have a wiring mistake elsewhere taking the 12v source to ground. I’ll start checking for that.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTO44 said that the trunk switch is my 12 v power source. However mine currently goes to ground. Somewhere in my rewire, I must have a wire going to ground that shouldn’t be. That is all I can figure at this point.

·
Registered
22,422 Posts
you put the black wire to ground without knowing it is suppose to go to ground?

i dont follow

the switch either switches power or ground, its just the simple

without a wiring diagram, i will use my 89 as an example

power leaves the ignition switch, and heads to the hatch button, when pushed it closes and sends that power to the solenoid, which has a ground near it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys much! I didn’t have access to the diagram and couldn’t find it online!!

·
Registered
22,422 Posts
that diagram might not be for your car, it was just an example

you should buy an EVTM for your specific year if are planning any wiring changes

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree thanks Indy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts