Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve acquired a 1994 mustang Cobra. The car has sat for 4 years and I’ve just recently got it running. It runs and drives fine but randomly it will just die and won’t start back up. It will just crank and crank but won’t fire. I primed the fuel pump over and over again and it will start after about 10 minutes but I’m not sure if it’s because I primed it or because it sat for awhile. I’m completely new to these cars and would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 Mustang GT
1 Posts
If you know you’re getting fuel I would check your ignition. Have you checked the plugs, wires, cap and rotor? Another option is if it’s running too hot. I had that problem when the fan wasn’t turning on and I would get vapor lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founder of corral.net
1,585 Posts
Things to check:
1) Clogged fuel filter / fuel pump pickup sock. Rust in the tank could clog the pickup area, or the fuel filter. As the car sits after stalling all the fuel returning as the line depressurizes can unclog it slightly which could allow fuel to flow again.

2) See if you're getting spark when it dies. If not then replace coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. The fact that it will drive for a bit makes me think this is a heat-related issue which sometimes points to things electronic.

3) Check for a bad ground or loose wiring. Make sure all ground straps are tight and are functioning. When the car is running do a "wiggle test" on various wiring harnesses to see if a loose connection is the source of the problem.

4) Run an EEC scan and see if there are any stored codes.

Reactions: 1994cobra illinois

·
Registered
977 Posts
That sounds very much like failing pickup coil and/or TFI module.
I won't say replace distributor right away, but check for spark when it won't start.
If no spark, likely one of those 2 components.
Pickup coil is inside the distributor and I believe the TFI module is remote mounted.
I know there is a writeup somewhere to help diagnose which one (google should help).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys, last time it did it I did have spark. I have brand new fuel pump and filter, but didn’t think about it getting clogged. I’m going to try and check fuel pressure the next time it does it to see if that’s the problem. It did not start one day after being cold so I thought the regulator was bleeding off. I replaced it and it started right up so I thought that was my problem but it appears it’s still something else.
thanks for everyone’s input.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you need to replace the pickup in the distributor, it is much better to rebuild the oem unit. Aftermarket distributors are garbage. I've rebuilt quite a few stock distributors. They take less than 30 minutes to rebuild. You need access to a press and a 1/8 punch. Du50 is the part number for the pickup and then seal in the bottom is 5321 from skf.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello guys, haven’t had time to work on it in ahwile but I got it out again and same thing. Died after driving for a little bit. I checked fuel pressure and it’s good. I let it sit for like 10-15 min and it started back up and I drove it home. My coolant is low in the resovour and I didn’t put any in since I didn’t have any and I was just taking it around the block. Could a low coolant code cause a no start after driving? It has coolant just low in the reservoir. Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hello guys, haven’t had time to work on it in ahwile but I got it out again and same thing. Died after driving for a little bit. I checked fuel pressure and it’s good. I let it sit for like 10-15 min and it started back up and I drove it home. My coolant is low in the resovour and I didn’t put any in since I didn’t have any and I was just taking it around the block. Could a low coolant code cause a no start after driving? It has coolant just low in the reservoir. Thanks
No.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Man, I wish someone would just go ahead and tell him that it’s the pip in the distributior.

why keep it a secret?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Man, I wish someone would just go ahead and tell him that it’s the pip in the distributior.

why keep it a secret?
Why replace the PIP when you can keep driving it around letting it die and then ask again what could be the problem.

Reactions: HYBRED

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why replace the PIP when you can keep driving it around letting it die and then ask again what could be the problem.
I just got it for a project and have been busy with school and work to work on it. I’m not familiar with the car and just wanted to get different ideas of what it could be before I dig into it and was just updating the situation that I checked fuel and spark and asked a question which I thought was the purpose of forums. I just didn’t understand how I had fuel and spark but not running but after doing some research I feel confident enough to rebuild the the oem. Thanks

·
11,170 Posts
I just got it for a project and have been busy with school and work to work on it. I’m not familiar with the car and just wanted to get different ideas of what it could be before I dig into it and was just updating the situation that I checked fuel and spark and asked a question which I thought was the purpose of forums. I just didn’t understand how I had fuel and spark but not running but after doing some research I feel confident enough to rebuild the the oem. Thanks
Have you checked for codes? That should always be the first thing you do. No exceptions.

So you said you had fuel pressure and spark. That's good news. If your car cranks and cranks, it sounds like you have good grounds, but just to make sure, verify that the +12v cable from the battery to the fuse box is secure.

Let us know what the codes are, please.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts