Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I can keep the glass window or have to buy a new one with a new top. Anyone know of a quality source for a top? I'd rather buy a quality top then take it to shop to install. How much $ did you pay?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Re: 94-95 Convertible Top Replacement

scoupe89 said:
Anyone know if I can keep the glass window or have to buy a new one with a new top. Anyone know of a quality source for a top? I'd rather buy a quality top then take it to shop to install. How much $ did you pay?
I replaced my glass when I had the top done. It didn't really need it yet, but I figured it would be a lot easier to get it done all at once.

I paid $800 installed for the new top and glass (which has a rear defroster). It's one of the best looking tops I have EVER seen too. I got it back in November and it still looks brand spanking new.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Re: 94-95 Convertible Top Replacement

scoupe89 said:
I'd rather buy a quality top then take it to shop to install.
Im curious to know why you think taking it to a shop would mean low quality? The top is gona be the same (just about) no matter where you get it. Most shopps will supply a better warranty too.

There are 3 pieces to your top, the large exterior roof, the rear piece that holds the glass and the interior lining.

If the glass is sperating from the material in the back, you will have to replace that piece too.

When I did my top, I had to replace the roof and the rear piece with the glass (no defrost) and it was almost exactly 600 fully installed with a 3 year warranty.

I watched him do the entire thing, and you really shouldn't attempt this isntall on your own.

What I recommend, which is what I did, is to call your local ford dealership, and ask them where they take THEIR cars to get tops replace, and then take your car right there.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Re: Re: 94-95 Convertible Top Replacement

BigPimpHustler said:
What I recommend, which is what I did, is to call your local ford dealership, and ask them where they take THEIR cars to get tops replace, and then take your car right there.
That's what I did. I got the car back the same day too. I dropped it off at 9 AM and they were done by like 4 PM.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are both decent prices for the complete job with quality top. I am willing to pay that. This top lasted 8 years, and I want to avoid replacing it again soon (AZ sun).

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
scoupe89 said:
Those are both decent prices for the complete job with quality top. I am willing to pay that. This top lasted 8 years, and I want to avoid replacing it again soon (AZ sun).
I paid $800, but honestly if the guy charged me an even $1000, I wouldn't have complained. The top is PERFECT.

I suspect that it looks better now than the day it was bought.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys, when you got your new top did the weather stripping come with it, or did you buy it separetly, or did you not replace it? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well, if u want the better quality top, ur looking at 800 or so, like the others said. The $800 one is made of a much better an tougher material then ur stock top. It kinda feels like rubber,canvasy. Dunno the name offhand, but it should last some time. My dads in the Uhpolstery business,been there for 30 years or so, so ive seen a few mustang come and go, he did my top actually. fit was awsome. If ur going to get any top on ur stang, never go cheap and not get the glass, ur stock glass has a very thin piece of material that conects it to the rear section of the top, and over time, that piece likes to give way and rip. SO go with the whole top, and get it in black, makes any car look nicer. Its ataleats a days job, if u get someone to do it, unless u want alot of pain and suffering, dont attempt it urself. And dont expect it to look perfect that day, tops need to sit in the sun and strech out good.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Black94GTvert- Weatherstriping doesnt come with the top, or a top job, unless of coarse u ask them to do that. I wouldnt worry about it, i highly doubt it will leak. Ur car is fairly new as far as weather stripping life goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i got my top from CJ Pony Parts. I had to replace the back window only because it was separating. It cost my 149.99 for top and 189.99 for window and 250.00 installed just to give you an exact estimate. just my 2 cents. Good Luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had my top done at a shop here in Phoenix that regularly does Mercedes, Porsche, BMW etc. They used a black fabric top, cost $900 with rear window. It looks incredible! Most people thought I got a new car.

·
Registered
713 Posts
900? wow.. expensive. Call around for good prices, check a referral or two, and check the warranty. This job doesn't really seem practicel to do yourself. The shop I took mine to used this really cool steam tool, with this really long nozzle, and reached inside the top with it and steam shrunk the top once it was 99% on. It got rid of every single microscopic wrinkle in the material.. 600 for the top installed like that.. is a steal in my book.

calling 3 or 4 places might save you a couple hundred bucks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought my car 3 months or so ago top looked fine. after driving it more than the once or twice test drive I ound the back glass rattles, when u look at it from the outside the right side has come loose from thetop part of the material the glass is sandwiched inbetween. it looks funny left side tight to the top and the right sagging so low u would think it could fall out. when u drive with the windows down the glass rattles. so after reading this there is no fix just a new top?? at least i know how much to pay and where to start looking.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
hard to say wihout seeing it, but sounds like u need to just buy the new glass, dont get cheap and try to reuse the old glass, that material is rotten more then likely. So it just needs the glass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts