Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peoples,

I am looking for a new daily driver as my 91 GT is beginning to show its age. I am in the market for a 94-95 Cobra. I've been told that these cars are fairly easy to upgrade, while being no slouch out of the box. I plan on getting on of these cars and adding:

1) FRPP Short-Length Headers
2) Mac Pro-Chamber Pipe
3) Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers
4) Magnaflow 3 1/2" Tips
5) CAI, (BBK?)
6) K&N Air Filter
7) Underdrive Pullies (BBK)
8) Crane 2031 Cam
9) Custom Chip/Computer
10) FRPP 4.10 Rear Gears
11) Pro 5.0 Shifter

If all of these upgrades will work good together, then please let me know. However, if there is anything that would not be a good idea, be a waste of money, etc. etc. Please let me know. Also, am I forgetting anything?

All said and done, I would like a car that can at least run LOW 13's. and possible 12's driving it like a freak.

Thanks for any input, and all suggestions are welcome.

RioRed

·
Registered
657 Posts
How about a FRPP 65mm T/B and a ProM meter? Might as well uncork it the whole way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The roller rockers on the cobras are 1.7 cranes stock. The cobras are good performers out of the box. I kinda wish i got one instead of a gt but i am eventually going to replace everything so it does not matter to me.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Defeinitely throw on a mass air meter. But I'm not sure about the TB. Most reports I've seen is that it doesn't help any until you add heads. If you do this, I'd do it the last thing.

Lastly, I'd suggest long tube headers instead of shorties. They are tougher to install, but well worth it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You might want an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and higher flowing fuel pump as well. Aftermarket wires too...please stay far away from the FMS/FRPP wires. They turn to junk after about a month, if not sooner.

Bump your timing :). Also check your balancer for wear. Seems a ton of 94/5 owners have been caught by surprise by the stock balancer. If you need to replace it, go with a Romac.

Oh, subframe connectors whether you are going to race the car or not. I could continue into suspension mods, but I'll stop here. :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well those mods looks good, but after u do them get the chip burned accordingly, ya know. Not befor. Those mods willnt work worth a dam unless u tell then computer to read them and sort it all accordingly, via a chip. I wouldnt say u would need a MAF or T/B with those mods, Dont spend the money on MAF or T/b Until u get a set of higher flowing heads,along with bigger cam and intake. Or a superchanger, What u have stock as far as t/b and maf will do perfectly fine for those mods, as will injectors. Well stock sn95 cobras are running 14's i guess or 13's i dunno for sure. But with those, along with that Cam, yea ull be good for some quickness. 13's 12's I can see it, Good traction, Yepp.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the BBK CAI and I like it alot. Once I installed it, I felt the difference. Really great mod. I would suggest (IMHO) a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter instead of the Pro-5.0. Driven cars with both and liked the Tri-Ax better. Course you could get the Pro-5.0 and get a Tri-Ax handle. The handle is what makes the piece awsome, canted towards the driver for better comfort. Also go for the complete exhaust upgrade and suspension mods. I have had other Mustangs with headers, h-pipe and cat back and it really made the difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would go with the Steeda #19 cam instead of the 2031. It's made for the GT40 heads and intake combo and is made to work with the J4J1 computer. I was really happy with the gains of my TB and mass air. Mass air made a HUGE difference. Computer's in the cobras suck real bad. I've gained at least 2 mph in the quarter with just tuning with my EEC tuner. I'm all for the steeda tri-ax i love mine. I'm expecting 105 mph with my mods and letting my car cool down at the track. I ran what's in my sig with my car hot, it's got more in it for sure. Gears are a big improvement. That's what i'm doing next and hope for 12's with some good tires (Drag radials). Good luck.

RYAN

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just my two cents...

Be sure your car is in a good state of tune first and foremost. I would do gears and a shifter before everything. Then get a set of subframe connectors. Get full length and go with a quality brand such as Maximum Motorsports (not KBs).

After that, get a different intermediate pipe. You probably aren't going to see much difference between an X or H and offroad/cat. I chose and X-pipe because I didn't want to be like every other Mustang on the road. Then get a set of headers. Or get a set of longtubes and matching mid pipe.

On the intake side, Pro-M's have recently shown good gains on some users cars on here. I have a ported stock mass air meter and have no problems with it. I'd like to see results from a C&L though before I made a decision. Tuning device is your preference. Users have had good gains with the PIH/A9L swap as well as tuners such as the Tweecer/EEC Tuner. I'd like to get one before too long.

Cam swap is also up to you. I got good gains with it but don't have any track times yet. It is very mild and I have no problems with daily driving. Hope this helps. Later!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did you guys running the 2031 cam have any idle problems after install?

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
I saw above that you don't need a TB without a head swap-:bs: Cobras have better heads and intake than a GT so a throttle body is needed.

Do some ignition upgrades while you're at it too.

You'll never see 12s without some rear suspension work-new controll arms at least.

·
Registered
672 Posts
AJMcCurdy said:
I saw above that you don't need a TB without a head swap-:bs: Cobras have better heads and intake than a GT so a throttle body is needed.

Do some ignition upgrades while you're at it too.

You'll never see 12s without some rear suspension work-new controll arms at least.
I'm just quoting from what I have read about TBs. If anything, the gain will be pretty small until aftermarket heads are used. Maybe a cam would make better use of it, but I think that money could be much better spent on something else, like ignition ;).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ignition on a NA car won't yield much if anything. The stock TB might provide a little better throttle response, but as was said it isn't that big of a restriction.

Won't see 12's without rear suspension work huh? We will see...:D

·
Registered
705 Posts
Why not Supercharge?

That is sure a long list of parts to change, and I don't think you would hit high 12's with all that.

If you are going to buy 94,95 Cobra, chances are the engine will still be good. So why not just save all that money from all those parts and buy a supercharger? It would be fast easy install and probably about the same money and less screwing around....
Good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought the 2031 Cam was made specifically for the 94-95 Cobra too? Why is the Steeda better? Just curious....
All i know about the steeda cam in relation to the GT40 heads etc. is on the steeda page. The #18 cam (which is the same as the #19 except for LSA) ran very impressive times with the cam and heads and intake. You can go to www.steeda.com and read about it. I don't have any first hand experience with the cam, however it's a slightly more radical cam than the 2031 which usually means more HP. I'm looking at putting a cam in my car very soon and have been trying to find the best cam for the stock heads and intake and that LOOKED like the best one i've seen. No flame intended here if in some way it comes off that way......

RYAN

·
Registered
724 Posts
KB subframe connectors are no good?? I was going to order some as I heard good things???

Also, if you go supercharger, your gonna have to buy injectors, maf, and get a chip or EEC tuner anyway. No one seems to like the FMUs you get with the kits. Expect to pay $3500 or more when everything is said and done. I have been looking at used kits for some time and am getting frustrated trying to find a good setup. N/A is starting to look like an option for me as I would like to dump more money into brakes and suspension also.

So many options with the 302, it is hard to decide!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasn't trying to be a bung either yo

I was just wondering. I have also heard many good things about the Steeda cam as well. But what about supercharging? Would that be the best way to get fast? Or should all the other upgrades take place first?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts