Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes out of no where the car will not start. You do not get the fuel pump prime, and then the starter will not engage. Out of frustration you start to check wires, plugs, fuses etc and then all of a sudden fuel pump works and it will just crank right up. Its never the same wire or location so I don't think its a wiggle the wire that starts it. The common ploblem on the column has been replaced with new switch module and wire plug from LMR. It never does it when you want it to and then all of a sudden it will just act up, away from home and or tools. Then after 30 mins +/- it will just work normal as if a relay or something has cooled off. Drive it another 30 mins back home, shut it off and it cranks right back up. Is there a wire plug or relay that I am missing that might have a bad connection or building heat etc...? Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
To me it sounds like power is not making it to/ through the ignition switch. Check all of the connections on the starter solenoid switch, check for corrosion on the battery terminals. Check battery to chassis ground. Double check the connector at the ignition switch. Might be a good idea to do a voltage drop test on the main 12v cable and ground if everything checks out

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I am going to just have to start at the battery and follow everything to the ignition and then back out. I feel when I finally find it, it will be something small and stupid. Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also, when you say "switch module" is that the neutral safety switch? That could also cause issues.

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, I installed a steering column out of an 89 so I can have tilt wheel and while I was in there the key switch module that is known to go bad, fell into several pieces and arced burning out a fuse link wire. Replaced everything as I had the parts already because I already planned to fix all this anyways. Couple hours later and the car was up and running. Have driven it several miles with no issues. I felt like I finally got it straightened out...........Until today. Its about 95 and high humidity so either something is heat related or I now have something else that has come loose. Cranked it up, went for about a 20 min drive to a friends house. Stayed for 10 mins tops, car acted up and didn't want to turn over. Wiggling any thing I could find until it cranked. Drove the 20 mins back home, turned it off and nothing. Changed battery connections to make sure tight and solid connection. Still nothing and by nothing I do not get a fuel pump prime and nothing at the starter as well. Tested fuse links, fuses, starter wire before I said its just to hot to be standing in the sun tracing wires. Here is why I wonder if it is a heat issue. Came back about 2 hrs later and everything worked fine and it cranked right up? Any idea where to start? Other wise I am going to have to get this thing hot to where it acts up and then start tracing everything all over again....

Thanks

·
Registered
25,576 Posts
Was it a crank no start?

OR

NO crank?

totally separate, be very clear about this.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
25,576 Posts
the crank circuit needs to be looked at

power to ignition switch, then from switch through safety to solenoid

use a test light

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be pullin this apart this week end trying to find an issue. Does any of the ignition, fuel pump, start up power run through the wiper switch as well? Or do I just basically concentrate on the ignition side of the column ? Thanks

·
Registered
25,576 Posts
switched power comes from ignition switch

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I found it. I guess its called the ignition but its the main part that bolts to the side of the column and then the harness plugs into it. Well even though its new it has a short in it. I could get it to replicate the problem by hand so I installed another new one and so far everything is back to working again. Thanks for the help, time will tell if its worry free for awhile.

·
Registered
25,576 Posts
YOU may want to check pin fitment in the connector, and tighten it up, and add dielectric grease

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done and done. I also added zip ties to the main plug for extra security in keeping the plug tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts