Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes out of no where the car will not start. You do not get the fuel pump prime, and then the starter will not engage. Out of frustration you start to check wires, plugs, fuses etc and then all of a sudden fuel pump works and it will just crank right up. Its never the same wire or location so I don't think its a wiggle the wire that starts it. The common ploblem on the column has been replaced with new switch module and wire plug from LMR. It never does it when you want it to and then all of a sudden it will just act up, away from home and or tools. Then after 30 mins +/- it will just work normal as if a relay or something has cooled off. Drive it another 30 mins back home, shut it off and it cranks right back up. Is there a wire plug or relay that I am missing that might have a bad connection or building heat etc...? Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
To me it sounds like power is not making it to/ through the ignition switch. Check all of the connections on the starter solenoid switch, check for corrosion on the battery terminals. Check battery to chassis ground. Double check the connector at the ignition switch. Might be a good idea to do a voltage drop test on the main 12v cable and ground if everything checks out

·
Registered
1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I am going to just have to start at the battery and follow everything to the ignition and then back out. I feel when I finally find it, it will be something small and stupid. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also, when you say "switch module" is that the neutral safety switch? That could also cause issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts