Ford Mustang Forums banner
1181 - 1195 of 1195 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dont the lower head bolts run into the cooling passages? I had this same problem with mine. The permitex putty with Teflon solved it for me. 2 were leaking. I just took one out at a time and re-sealed them. No leaks since

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,182 ·
Dont the lower head bolts run into the cooling passages? I had this same problem with mine. The permitex putty with Teflon solved it for me. 2 were leaking. I just took one out at a time and re-sealed them. No leaks since
I have a Dart SHP block so the lower holes are closed off. My only thought is the rear coolant passages are leaking and it's coming up through the stud.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a Dart SHP block so the lower holes are closed off. My only thought is the rear coolant passages are leaking and it's coming up through the stud.
Oh ok. Since I can’t afford one, I don’t know too much about the aftermarket blocks.

But that means coolant is still getting passed the head gasket?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just curious what lifters you are swapping from and if there were issues? I’ve read good things about the johnsons. I’m currently trying to decide what I need for my current project 351 as well. Thank you. Awesome build by the way!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,185 ·
Oh ok. Since I can’t afford one, I don’t know too much about the aftermarket blocks.

But that means coolant is still getting passed the head gasket?
I had to double check to make sure the Dart block had blind holes. It's getting past but not into the cylinder right now so I feel safe running it for the next two events before I pull the engine.

Just curious what lifters you are swapping from and if there were issues? I’ve read good things about the johnsons. I’m currently trying to decide what I need for my current project 351 as well. Thank you. Awesome build by the way!
I'm currently running Elgin lifters which are the same as the Ford Racing lifters. I haven't had any issues with them they work fine. I just wanted to go to a link bar lifter and get rid of the dog bones. I'm also going to a higher lift cam and wasn't sure how well the Elgin's would work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm currently running Elgin lifters which are the same as the Ford Racing lifters. I haven't had any issues with them they work fine. I just wanted to go to a link bar lifter and get rid of the dog bones. I'm also going to a higher lift cam and wasn't sure how well the Elgin's would work.
Thank you! I’m also looking at a link bar setup. I’ve been eyeing the Howard’s 91260 but the specs don’t look much different than the 5323 morels and I know woody swears by them. It just seems lifter information is pretty cryptic.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,187 ·
Thank you! I’m also looking at a link bar setup. I’ve been eyeing the Howard’s 91260 but the specs don’t look much different than the 5323 morels and I know woody swears by them. It just seems lifter information is pretty cryptic.
I believe the Morel 5323 and the Howard’s 91260 are the same lifter. I was also looking at the Morel 5323 lifters.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,190 ·
I started doing a few minor things on the car before the next event. I talked with Chris at Pro-M and the car doesn't need to run the evap system anymore. I thought it needed it since the system had a plug for it it's not needed so I added a breather at the end of the line and mounted it inside next to the gas cap.

I'm not going to do much on the car until June as long as I don't have issues with the motor. I still have a bit of coolant leaking from the back of the head even after torquing the heads back down. I'm also thinking about swapping out the trans to a TKX while i have the car apart this summer. I'm worried the added power might be tough on the T5Z. I figured might as well since i will have the car apart while the engine is out. I'm still thinking about it. I noticed at the last event it was getting a bit rough to get the car into second gear. I'm also thinking about having my T5Z gone through to make sure its still in good condition. I don't launch hard even when the tires are hot so it makes me wonder if the trans will even be a problem.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,191 ·
So I pulled the trigger and ordered the TKX. I decided to get the version with the .81 5th gear since I'm not worried about having an OD 5th gear. I talked with Mcleod and for $60 plus shipping they will convert my 10 spline disc to a 26 spline disc. Since the new clutch only has about 500-700 miles I figure this will best route. I'm going to pickup a bell housing most likely the standard ford one that most people use I really don't think I need a quicktime one. I might swap the car over to a MDL hydraulic clutch but not sure just yet. Looks like the Tilton hydraulic throwout bearings are back ordered right now. I'm also going to stay with the speedo cable so I will have to look into that since I heard you need a longer one.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,192 ·
Had some autocross fun this weekend with the SCCA. It was really fun course and the surface is really good tons of grip which worked well since I was running some pretty used up tires. I ended up winning my class so that felt good. The car was working pretty good I went to even softer springs in the rear but I might have gone to soft since the car feels like it picked up a bit of a push. It was a good warm up for NMCA this weekend. The only thing I need to work on is getting faster right off the start. I ended up running 4 class runs then 4 time only runs. My fastest in class run was a 36.009 my fastest time only run was 35.500 so I left .500 of a second on the course so I need to work on that. Here's my fast run from Sunday.

I have two more events before the motor comes out and the work begins on the up dates. The Jesel shaft mount rockers came in last Friday and the System Max intake is due 5/26. I'm thinking with the new TKX I might run a MDL hydraulic clutch setup since I will have the car apart. I think the only issue will be the Tilton throw out bearing.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,193 ·
More parts coming in for the updates. I got the Jesel shaft mount rockers today. I should have the Systemax Intake next week or it ships next week.

Can't wait to get this stuff installed.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,194 ·
Had a another good weekend out with the car. It was the third round of the NMCA series and I ended up taking the win in Classic Muscle on Sunday. Which I was pretty surprised about since Saturday went really bad. The car couldn't get any grip and was not working at all. It turns out I must have killed the Yokos at the last NMCA event. I swapped the car to a new set of the Nankang CR-S tires and the car felt great. I didn't even download the videos from Saturday they were so bad. Here's the class winning run from Sunday. I had a better time but hit 2 cones on my fastest run.

Now one more event before the summer break and the engine upgrades. I'm going to need them now that I'm in the pro class.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,195 ·
Final weekend before the summer break went pretty good. With the win at the last event I was moved to the pro class with all the previous winners this year. The course was pretty rough for my car it was long straights with a 180 corner followed by another long straight. I had to shift a lot to keep from either hitting the rev limiter or to keep the car going since it would run out of steam after 5100rpm. Here's my fastest run from Saturday.

Sunday was the same story just trying to manage the car. I should have put more gas in it to keep the rear from getting to light weight which usually causes the car to get a bit loose.

Now that the event is over I have most of the engine torn down. I should have the exhaust out and trans out in the next 2 days. I'm hoping to have the engine out this Sunday so I can take it to JBA next week so they can get started.

1181 - 1195 of 1195 Posts