Ford Mustang Forums banner

1991 5.0 - fires up every time, idles perfectly, but once it’s warm it won’t idle for more than 15 seconds

14K views 213 replies 20 participants last post by  Enjoy_the_Ride 
Right around 2001 or 02 I had a similar issue. Car would start running very poorly until I pulled over, shut it down, then restarted it.
It seemed random and there were no codes, but I finally realized it was water temp related.
Swapped in an ECT and it went away.

You have the EGR not opening correctly code.
IF the EGR valve has stuck in the open-or partially open-position, it will idle very poorly to not at all if the EGR valve is allowing EGR gasses into the intake at idle. It is supposed to happen only at part throttle (cruising).
This would also cause a lean condition as unmetered air (gasses) are entering post MAF.

If you have a vacuum hand pump, attach it to the EGR valve, pull vacuum on it and see if the valve moves in and out.
Even if it does, though, it could have carboned up to the point it will not close properly.
Consider picking up an EGR valve gasket, pull the valve and take a look at it.

thank baby black jesus, the corral gots you as the expert identifier of bookface tentacles...........

what would we all do without your tech.......oh my........
Been a little busy, just now got back to this childish comment.
Go **** yourself. (note:F.U.C.K)

You see, #IndytheAsshole, my post was actually a nod at you and others that show up and tries to help the poster to learn, while too many others post up with useless ****.
But in your hurry to be an ******* (Note: A.S.S.H.O.L.E) to anyone you perceive as contradicting you, or having an alternate route to the same solution, you posted stupid **** (note: S.H.I.T) in response to my post.
Maybe you should seek help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.