Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first build thread I have ever done. In July I picked up a 1990 specail edition LX convertible, commonly referred to as a 7-up car. This car is for my wife as I already have a nice '93 white coupe. The car was completely rust free, had 77,000 original miles but was somewhat in pieces. The guy was actually parting it out when I got it. He had already sold the seats, rear interior panels and rear window motors. (This will be interesting a little later) The engine was torn down to the short block, and someone had painted some of the interior with bright white spray paint! YUCK! Here it is when I picked it up.

So I had it towed home and began work on it. My first two main goals were to get the interior straightened out, and to get it running. With so much free space in the engine bay since it was just a short block in there, I decided to paint the bay first before assembling the engine.

I started with this

Got it ready to paint

And sprayed some paint

Then next I assembled the engine with the parts that came with the car, and some parts I had laying around. Nothing went onto this car without being cleaned and painted first.

Got it fired up and it runs pretty darn good. Interior progress is next.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now on to the interior:

I had no seats, no rear panels, trashed carpet, dirty door panels and speaker grills that had industrial size screws right through the corners of the speaker grills on 3 sides. I had some work to do here.

So, first off was to take everything out, and to find some seats and panels somewhere?

some UGLY a$$ white spray painted parts

some of the dash had stains that wouldn't come out

so all plastic pieces got sprayed with SEM interior paint. That is some good stuff!

all dash vents were cleaned and sprayed

got ready to pull the carpet

and there we go

I went to the junkyard and found this pair of '86 GT seats for $100 Not bad. Not correct seats but not bad. * there is more to this story....hang on....*

I disassembled the door panels for cleaning/painting again with the SEM products

Then reassembly of door panels

I found these rear interior panels on ebay. I planned to paint and use them. *There is more to this that will go along with the seat story very soon I promise*

Installed new carpet from LRS:

put on door panels and installed the '86 GT seats I got from the junkyard.

*******Ok, here is where it gets interesting.*******

I was in Vegas the end of July, and I was cruising the Honolulu (where I live) craigslist ads. This guy had an ad for some smog pump related parts. I had contemplated putting all the smog stuff on my car so I texted him. We chatted breifly about his stuff and I said I might contact him when I got home from my trip. After that I completely forgot about the guy, and the parts as I just went short belt to eliminate the smog pump. So, last week I get a text from the guy. he says "remember me etc etc. smog pump etc etc." I was now not in the market for the smog stuff, but decided to go look anyway as he was very close to where I lived and I like talking mustangs with anyone. I get to his place and he has a hatch and a vert. They both are works in progress and the vert was quite rough and was for sale. We chat and I am about to leave as there was really no parts I needed. As I am about to go he tells me "I might take the hatch seats out and put them in the vert before I sell it. I don't like the vert seats." I look and the vert has black seat covers on it. I ask "whats wrong with the vert seats?" He says "They don't match at all. I have black interior and the seats are WHITE. I got them off a guy that was parting out a 7 up car back in July".. I'm like "O.M.G. are you serious??? I HAVE that 7 up car!!" I ask if he would be willing to sell the seats? He tells me to just get him some seats and he would trade. I offer up my '86 GT seats and he accepts an even trade! The driver's seat is rough but I DO NOT CARE! I now have the correct seats! So next I ask if he also bought the rear panels? Of course he did! He sells me the pair for $50! and the window motors? Why he certainly had those too and he didn't need them. I only needed the brackets as I had bought new motors so the brackets go to me for $10! I was so happy to have the correct parts back for this car!!!!!!!

So, seats came back out to trade

correct seats back in the car where they belong!

Here are the rear panels. They were also "treated" to the same ugly white spray paint that the previous owner used on the other parts.
So, they were also disassembled and cleaned and prepped for SEM paint

new bottom carpet

Interior complete

Next is to repaint the front bumper cover and a new top. I think I will attempt the top install myself. I have read up on it and watched videos and it look like I can do it if I just take my time.

Chris

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Just glad this car didn't get parted out. I started on the front bumper cover today and should have it painted this weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks good! Good luck on the top install, I'll be doing one when I get back from deployment. I agree it doesn't look hard just gotta take your time and be patient

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Nice save.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad to see another one getting some love!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't be afraid to tackle the top yourself. A buddy and me did mine a year ago. It took us about 5 hours I think, watching and pausing the video as we went. The longest part is all the adjusting after its installed to get out wrinkles.

Oh yeah, car looks good. Good save

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, not much scares me. If I need something done, I will almost always do it myself. I have better control over the quality that way. I have a good friend that helps me a lot and I'm sure we can handle the top install. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Wait. Maybe I don't want to know.....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Front bumper cover

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I appreciate it a lot.

So today was front bumper cover day. I started with this.

Off it came.....

some sanding

and some primer

base coat

and finally some clear

done

Getting excited to do the top now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's pretty crazy how you found the original parts! Looks like the car is coming out great!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That should work fine. The factory uses a few staples but I din't bother re stapling anything. I just used the spray adhesive and it worked fine.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good save and awesome story!!! With so few limited ed mustangs made its really important that people don't hack these things up. That car looks great, all your hard work has paid off for sure. Do you just have those seat covers on there until you can reupholster the original seats? What did you use to paint the front bumper? It looks like it turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, the seat covers are only there until I can get the $$ to buy the new seat upholstery. I used a base coat and clear coat which was mixed by the local Napa paint store for me. I sprayed it with a hvlp craftsman gun. For my paint booth (my front porch) and my ability to paint (somewhat limited in experience) it did turn out pretty good.

Chris

1 - 20 of 174 Posts