Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need info on a parts list for an efi 351w conversion and a carb conversion. what is better? What are the pros and cons of efi and carb? and most importantly the CHEAPEST. I know carb would be cheaper but would it be all that better? If someone could help with with everything i need for either carb or efi swap it would be appriciated alot. i thought about going efi but it seems to complicated so any help on this subject would be great.

· Registered
340 Posts
It depends on what you're using the car for. Daily driver, EFI is definitely worth it. Better gas mileage, reliability, and you don't have to worry about changing temperatures. If it's street/strip or drag, go carb. I'm currently doing a 93 2.3 to 351 conversion, full EFI. If you can find a donor car (HAS to be a 1990 model year 5.0), EFI is easy. Take EVERY wiring harness from the engine bay, plug into the 2.3 body harness, and done. You'll need the fuel lines, engine mounts, transmission crossmember, etc from the donor as well.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Doesn't have to to be a 90 but that would make it easier. If you don't have a 90 parts car you will need ALL the wire harness from front to rear. I did this with a 92 but used a 90 harness.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does it need to be a 5.0 harness or HO 5.0 harness? Or does it matter and will everything from the 5.0 engine harness usable with the 351w? Ohh and it is a daily driver car. And it has to be a 1990 year harness to make it a lot easier on me for the swap

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And one other quick question, I can get a complete 351 upper intake to pan do I need a distributor for the swap or can I use the one with the motor? And what would be the best year motor I should get/ look for?

· Registered
340 Posts
You have 2 choices for harnesses...get the engine, alternator, injector, and 02 Sensor harnesses from a 1990 Mustang 5.0 or the entire body/engine harness from another year. Everything will plug up from the 5.0 harness onto the 351w. You can use the stock distributor if it uses the gray TFI module on the distributor. The 94+ motors have roller cams (can use any 5.0 HO cam in it), look for F4TE cast in the block by the starter. If you get a motor with the intake, make sure you're using something other than the truck EFI intake. They are about 12 feet high and make NO power at all.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what year models come with the TFI module? are the the ones with the roller cams? and how come the trucks efi intake make no power? and thanks for the feed back Admiral Doom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.