Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, new to the bored, names kenny,

just started a turbo build on my 1989 mustang coupe, went with the 76mm turbo kit by on3, i got all of the supporting mods to go with the turbo kit, just running 6lbs of boost, had a performance shop look at car after i put everything on, they said they tuned the car. still stock motor/heads, picked the car up and it ran amazing(( first turbo mustang and was really happy lol, anyways i guess i blew the stock head gaskets to start off with, took the car back to the shop, had them replace head gaskets with some (MLS) gaskets? they said they are super strong head gaskets, also had them replace all other gaskets on motor, so after all of that picked up and brought car home just to fine out that some coolant was leaking in my drive way, the temp started to get a little hott but nothing crazy, just to throw out there it only starts to bubble when under boost, i opened the over flow, just to see it was full and bubbling, witch i dont think is good, so long story short i took car back once agine and now they say the they checked my head gaskets,, that they installed,, and they are still fine?????? they are now saying that i need some short of pump or something to keep some pressure or something down???? just need to know if this sounds right?? i dont know what to do at this point, just looking for some info on what to do, i will find out tomorrow more when i talk to the shop about whats going on with my car. sorry not the best typer and just yea lol car is driving me crazy now,, still love it and will never get rid of it lololol please help if you can, ask all the question and i will do my best to anwser them thanks in advance

agine just looking for info on if all of this stuff is normal?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
There is no need for the MLS gaskets. They should only be uses if the block and heads have both been machined flat. Make sure they did not reuse the stock head bolts. Get a set of ARP bolts or studs and a set of felpro 9333 pt1 head gaskets. After those parts are installed get a good tune on the car with a chip or something equivalent. As long as all other supporting mods are there and good then you should be good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You blew a headgasket. It may do it only under boost for now, but it will get worse. I just blew the headgasket in stock 91 motor.

·
Registered
528 Posts
More than likely the MLS gasket isn't sealing correctly. Like stated above they should only be used when you have a true flat surface and unless they pulled the block out and decked it and had the heads milled then it won't seal. Use felpro 9333 and a set of arp studs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys, so still the question is what is this pump thing they are talking about? Are they trying to use to cover a head gasket that's ####ed up or something.? Agine thanks for all the info

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Ok thanks guys, so still the question is what is this pump thing they are talking about? Are they trying to use to cover a head gasket that's ####ed up or something.? Agine thanks for all the info
There isn't a pump used to relieve cooling system pressure under boost. That system requires a certain amount of pressure to keep the fluid from boiling and the radiator cap is what regulates that pressure. If you get bubbling in your cooling system under boost, it's because combustion pressure is leaking past the head gasket into the cooling circuit. Sometimes bad enough to spray water around the engine bay (I've done this multiple times).

There are vacuum pumps for crank case ventilation and for other racecar type stuff but it doesn't sound like anything necessary for your car. From my outsider perspective, it sounds like they're trying to grab a little more money instead of admitting the mistake of installing MLS gaskets on a non-flat surface. That, or you misunderstood them.

Another thought: If they tuned the car and it blew up, it doesn't sound like they need to be touching your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay that's what I was thinking, and talked to them this morning and they definitely put MLS head gasket on the car. And that's the kind of pump they are putting on they said is for the crank case vent, they aren't charging me at this point, but agine not sure what to think about this, because I seen it bubbling in my over flow tank 100 percent sure, and they tell me it wasnt from the head gaskets, that they checked them out and was fine, and they told me that when I dropped car off this time that if it was they would replace at no charge, so I'm just kinda lost for words, I'm going to see car today to get some more info on it, just driving me crazy lol thanks guys for all the help

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
sounds to me like the shop didnt deck the block and heads to the correct surface finish to run an MLS gasket. if thats the case id find a new shop as they shouldnt be working on cars

Reactions: johnny408

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, headed down there tomorrow to short all of this out, went down today but didn't make it in time, will up date everyone on the info I get tomorrow from them agine thanks for all the info, glad to see there are still good people out there willing to help don't see that to much now a days!!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Do you have a wideband to check AFR as you're driving? Boost gauge to ensure you're at 6psi? Idk what the resolution will be with this shop but i'd get that gasket replaced with a felpro 9333, using head studs, and have the tune adjusted (by somebody who knows what they're doing) to make it a little safer.

Iron heads, pump gasoline, summer heat, and boost all make for a tricky tuning scenario. Gotta have that tune spot on or at least more conservative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have a afr gauge, and also a boost gauge, both read as they should, and I'm getting off early today to head down to the shop and figure this mess out, going to tell them to take the MLS head gaskets off and replace with felpro, is there any other way that the gases could be getting into my coolant system????? Thanks

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
yes... if you have too much timing in the tune under boost your heads can get up and start to float. but you really gotta lean on it to get that to happen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so it definitely has to do with the heads if it's going to get in to the coolant system? Just trying to have all the info when I go down there thanks

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
unless the block is cracked, yes. there's a remote possibility the intake gasket is breached between a cooling port and a runner if they installed/torqued the intake gaskets incorrectly.

a compression/leakdown test would help verify.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys here the deal, atleast what the shop is telling me, I took the car back Originally because I seen bubbling in my over flow tank, so they checked the car out and said that there is to much Pressure going into the bottom of my motor, and it is causing gaskets to blow out, they put on some type pcv Valve release system to Try to relieve some of the pressure in the bottom of my motor and they said it did not work, I think he told me he corrected the head gasket problem and put other ones on in fixed the bubbling in the overflow tank but don't "me on it just so frustrated at this point. Was just so pissed when I was down there lol anyways that's where I'm at now. Does this sound right, he said that he would take some blame on this because they didn't Noticed this The 1st time when we got the head gaskets done. So basically what he is telling me since there is a 130000 miles on the original 302 block that it needs to be gone through because it's leaking down in there and putting too much pressure on the bottom, agine I'm not dumb when it comes to cars, but this is the first turbo car i have played with so im pretty new to all of this turbo stuff, agine any info would be helpful at this point thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So just to ad original when the turbo kit first got put on and got the car back, it blew out the oil pan gasket, so that's when they went ahead and replaced all gaskets on the motor, if that helps any, many is true what they are saying about to much pressure going in to the bottom of the block, but I kinda think they should have none something was wrong at that point???? if that makes sense not sure agine new to the turbo world.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That's pretty accurate, if your engine is tired and you add boost to it your will have blow by and that will cause seals to blow out. You need to find a way to vent out or vacuum out crankcase pressure, even newly built forced induction engines will have some blow by.
So they swapped out head gaskets already and fixed the bubbling in the cooling system already?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Boost is hard on a motor, and stuff breaks really easy if everything isn't perfect.
I doubt blow by is causing your coolant to bubble thru the overflow tank though.

I ended up upgrading my heads to aluminum ones with a thicker deck than the irons, and added a j&s safeguard knock sensing/timing retard system. I was surprised how much inaudible knock there was.

How many labs boost are you running and what's the octane of your gas? I found I couldn't really get over 6 lbs boost on 91 octane gas without pulling to much timing to bother upping the boost. My next step is to install a water/meth kit so I can ramp up timing and boost more.

Anyway, just my experience with boost. I know you are relying on your shop to give you a turn key boosted product that goes fast, but its pretty easy to lift head gaskets.

Going thru a tired motor is a good thing. Not great for your wallet, but boost is expensive. I don't know how guys throw junk yard stuff together and it works.

I'm feeling for you, having pulled my motor more times than I care to remember.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
130k motors have been flogged on for the past 2 decades with boost and don't have these problems. You make it sound like you have a line coming off the manifold into your crank case. lol You just need proper crankcase ventilation via a catch can setup. That doesn't cause bubbling in the expansion tank either. As stated before, that's mostly caused by head gasket failure, heads lifting under boost, or very rarely an intake manifold gasket. Really doesn't sound like these guys know what they're doing so I personally wouldn't take their word as true. I don't really trust any shop that doesn't specifically specialize in SBF's and fox mustangs. Even then I don't really trust them.

Pose pics of you engine, including all the vacuum and crankcase plumbing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts