Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
A little bit of tension on the tv cable is fine, too little is not because it causes excessive slippage and leads to band failure. A little bit of material is normal but if it was the whole bottom of the pan I think that’s a little excessive. Can you engage 4th at all? Will it catch or freewheel? Your od band could be on its way out. Does it slip in 2nd?

·
Registered
361 Posts
How are you verifying temp? Have you dropped the valve body? It might be a good idea to open it up to make sure there’s no crap in it.

Also, that shift point with low throttle input is a little high.

Freewheeling is like pushing the clutch in and revving. It sounds like you don’t have od for whatever reason. Without going into the transmission I think opening the valve body is your best bet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why do you need to take the heads off? That intake could probably be welded if you have a good machinist closeby. Fans are available and so are clutches so you might as well swap them out.

As far as temp goes, don’t assume how hot it’s running. Verify temps with a laser thermometer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah Im almost 100% gonna swap the fan and clutch for a newer one that is in better condition. Also sorry I dont know what was going through my head but I thought that you had to unbolt the heads to take off the intake but its the other way around. I was also thinking of getting it welded but I asked a few people over the phone and they said that cast-iron intakes cant be welded. If it can be welded though then I would absolutely do that instead of spending $400 on a original 5.0 intake for a foxbody.

Also probably a stupid question but I havent looked into laser thermometers before. Are there laser thermometers that are able to read the temp of the engine and have it read on the gauge? I know what kind of laser therm. you are talking about but I am wondering if there is some sort of product that basically replaces the normal temp sensor with a laser one
It’s all good I was just curious why you were going to touch the heads. And the intake is aluminum not iron. I know Tmoss can weld intakes and I’m sure a local machine shop that can weld aluminum can weld it. Otherwise they’re pretty cheap online. The same lower intake was used by many different models.

I’m not sure about the temp sensor. I know in the sn95 world you can make the temp gauge functional, but I’m not as versed in foxes like a lot of other guys here. An auxillary temp gauge from a company like bosch is your easiest route to monitor temps on the fly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It would seem that most of the video it’s in 2nd gear. As soon as you let your foot off the gas the rpm’s dip, which wouldn’t happen in 3rd or 4rd due to tc lockup. If the tv pressure is set up correctly I’d pull the valve body and clean it thoroughly. Could have a lot of varnish and crap in it after all these years. And make sure all the accumulator pistons are free moving in their bores. Also crap in the governor can cause issues with it not wanting to shift as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts