Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!

this is my first post and i have some major problems...

i have a 1989 mustang GT with the 5.0

i have built my motor from the ground up and everything is perfect but one thing...

my timing chain cover leaks right where the water pump seals to it and i can not figure out why!!!

i have tried:
putting just gaskets behind the plate and the cover... still leaked
putting ultra grey everywhere with new gaskets behind the plate and the cover... still leaked
ive sprayed the gaskets with RTV with new gaskets in place... still leaked
ive even gone as far as double gasketing... still leaked
ive bought both a new timing cover and water put with new gaskets and still leaked.

please help it is the only thing holding me back from putting her on the road!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Did you put a light coat of RTV around the coolant ports? Torqued down correctly? Should be 12-18 ft.-lbs.

I haven't done a ton of water pump, but I've never had any leak. Do you have the correct timing cover to match your water pump and the right gaskets?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Have you tried to tighten the bolts that hold the plate down on the bottom of the pump? I took mine off so I could check over stuff, but they were pretty loose right from the manufacturer. If I wouldn't have checked those bolts and just bolted it up, I know it would leak from under there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're using the backing plate behind the water pump with the proper gaskets on BOTH sides right? Mating surfaces are nice and clean of crud and old gasket material? Did you chase the threads that the water pump bolts/studs go into? Are you reusing the old nasty water pump bolts/studs?

I finger blast some ultra black behind every gasket on the front of the motor and throw torque specs out the window, I go until they're snugly tight.

EDIT: Fox88 has a good one there, those 2 little bolts in the backing plate. Double check those are tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you chase the threads that the water pump bolts/studs go into? Are you reusing the old nasty water pump bolts/studs?
i am using the old bolts, should i try some new ones? and i have not chased the holes... what size thread is it so i can grab a tap from work today and give her a try this Saturday..

and the plate bolts are tight ive made sure of it because ive ran into that issue before.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
what size thread is it so i can grab a tap from work today and give her a try this Saturday..
As I was reading, I was going to suggest a warped timing-cover, but then you said you replaced it. Next time you have the cover off and everything is clean – put the bare cover on the block bare and see if it significantly rocks any back and forth to test if the mating surfaces are level. Very slight movement is probably ok - mine had/has a bit but seals fine with no leaks.

Also – you should not use a tap to chase those threads. (Get a chasing bit.) A tap can remove material weakening the threads making them more susceptible to stripping. (Ask me how I know…)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had what I thought was the same thing, but it ended up being the seal in the timing cover that the balancer goes into. This was on a brand new engine with a ford seal. Pulled the balancer & put in a new seal & my oil leak stopped. Just an idea for you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
You're also supposed to put a small dab of RTV on the keyway before installing the balancer. Something I read in the service manual.

Anyway, just grab a drink & some snacks, pull a chair up to the front of your car and stare at it for awhile. Has to be something you're just not seeing yet. You'll figure it out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would assume that you're leaking water, yes?

I ran into the same problems last weekend. I bought a nice, purdy Edelbrock 8840 and, much to my chagrin, the 8840's backing plate was cut for a truck-style timing cover's water passages. They're cocked 90 degrees off of what they are for cars and, as such, cause all the water you put into the radiator to end up on the floor.

I swapped over the backplate from the old pump (after cleaning it up, of course) and properly installed the gaskets and, lo and behold, it held! Imagine that.

Take your backing plate off the pump and put it against the timing cover and see where the holes are.

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
I would assume that you're leaking water, yes?

I ran into the same problems last weekend. I bought a nice, purdy Edelbrock 8840 and, much to my chagrin, the 8840's backing plate was cut for a truck-style timing cover's water passages. They're cocked 90 degrees off of what they are for cars and, as such, cause all the water you put into the radiator to end up on the floor.

I swapped over the backplate from the old pump (after cleaning it up, of course) and properly installed the gaskets and, lo and behold, it held! Imagine that.

Take your backing plate off the pump and put it against the timing cover and see where the holes are.
Depends on which year of truck too. I have a '95 F-150 with the 302, and ran into the same problem when I replaced the water pump. I finally told them to give me one for an '89 Mustang, and they lined up. I don't know WHY Ford did that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts