Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Please tell me if i am wrong. But the 1988 GT comes with a T5 trans.. Correct... once again tell me if i am wrong. I got this thing a week ago and am looking to learn more about it.... Anyway back to the problem.... when i drive point a to be everything is fine but if i drive aggressively the shift from 1st to 2nd grinds if i don't baby it... First i thought maybe i didn't push the clutch all the way to the floor... but when it happend again... i realized something was wrong... i am thinking its the syncro and maybe the blocker rings .... am i rite.... if so can someone tell me how much that would be to fix or maybe recommend a better year trans i can drop in there that won't break the bank...

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I think U R right(Synchro's/blocker rings)..Rebuild it yourself..There is an excellent Video of how to repair your T-5 by "Hanlon Mtr sports" on here. Easy to do .That should be your ticket..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i hear that the trans from like a 91 or so is quit a bit better. Do you guys think i would be better off going with rebuilding a used one from maybe a 91 or 92? And if so would they bolt in straight with no problems without replacing a bunch of stuff.... also looking at making a short throw in it... my daily driver is a mits eclipse and its short... and i like it....

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
The newer trans (late 1989 and newer) has a revised gearset. It's rated at 300 ft-lbs of torque while yours is rated at 265 ft-lbs of torque.

SO it's slightly stronger...but still weak.

SOunds like you bought a car with worn 1-2 snychros. Rebuild now, or you'll damaged the gears with each grind and will need to replace the gear and slider for more $$$

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how about this i talked to a guy today that has a t-5 transmission from a camero. not sure what year. but if i change the bell housing will it work/fit my 88 gt? if so... i dont want to get ripped what would you guys pay for something like this

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would pay zero! Different tranny, different application.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
Nope, Camaro T-5 is different...plus most are non-World Class.

Basically you can't use it, you need a Mustang t-5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts