Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I’m a complete newbie when it comes to body work/mechanics but I’m using this project to learn. I bought the car (87 GT) thinking the body/frame was in good condition. After purchasing it I realized the strut towers were starting to crumble and needed to be repaired. Just recently I noticed that the carpet was wet on the passenger side so decided to pull the carpet up to see what was going on. Noticed that the passenger side floor was rusted but not as bad as the drivers side. I started to cut out the rust without giving much thought Into how I would fix the floor. After I removed a certain part near the toe boards I got concerned that I might have cut out a brace that was supporting the frame. I need someone to identify the bracket behind the dead pedal and it’s purpose.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Get the car up on stands and look underneath. Your front subframe ties into this area of the floor. You’ll likely need to drill out spot welds in this area to free that section of the floor when you cut it out.

I recommend doing some searching for previous threads on floor repair. Some have photos that show you the general structure with the floor removed in that area and it will help you out in knowing where to cut. You don’t want to cut into some of the structural pieces in that area

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the car up on stands and look underneath. Your front subframe ties into this area of the floor. You’ll likely need to drill out spot welds in this area to free that section of the floor when you cut it out.

I recommend doing some searching for previous threads on floor repair. Some have photos that show you the general structure with the floor removed in that area and it will help you out in knowing where to cut. You don’t want to cut into some of the structural pieces in that area
Thank you, that was very helpful. I’ll search though the threads to find similar floor repairs. That’s exactly my concern I didn’t know want to destroy anything that’s structural.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cut my whole floor out about a year ago along with my strut tower. For the floor u don't have to cut out the frame rails. You have to drill out the spot welds. Make sure you get a wire wheel or something to clean off the edges to show where the spot welds are. Use a scraper to clean the seam sealer also. Not a hard job but very tedious. May wanna purchase a welder also if u plan on welding everything yourself.
Gas Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Metal

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup after my initial post I watched a tonne of videos. I’m starting to get comfortable with removing the floor but I’ve got zero welding experience so that I might leave that for someone else. Where did you purchase the replacement floor from?
Thanks

I cut my whole floor out about a year ago along with my strut tower. For the floor u don't have to cut out the frame rails. You have to drill out the spot welds. Make sure you get a wire wheel or something to clean off the edges to show where the spot welds are. Use a scraper to clean the seam sealer also. Not a hard job but very tedious. May wanna purchase a welder also if u plan on welding everything yourself. View attachment 1078446

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup after my initial post I watched a tonne of videos. I’m starting to get comfortable with removing the floor but I’ve got zero welding experience so that I might leave that for someone else. Where did you purchase the replacement floor from?
Thanks
Me either...watch videos and practiced...brought a cheap welder. So far so good for me. Took floor pan out, haven't replaced yet. Also got u a some panel separators, makes the job alot easier.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Art Font

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me either...watch videos and practiced...brought a cheap welder. So far so good for me. Took floor pan out, haven't replaced yet. Also got u a some panel separators, makes the job alot easier. View attachment 1078450
Thanks
Haven't purchased one yet. Still looking around bc the price is the same but the freight charge is where they getcha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts