Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that struts for 87-93s come with spacers that allow them to fit the spindles on 87-93s as well as pre-87s (specifically, 86s). Is this true for all struts? Specifically, tokico blues?

Are the shocks for 86s the same as those for 87-93? I assume that they are, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
they bolt right on

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
The '86 spindles have a wider mount that won't work with struts intended for '87-93's specifically. They will work with struts that have a wider pocket and come with spacers to make them work on '87-93's. I don't know which is the case for the Tokico blue's.

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
MFE said:
I don't know which is the case for the Tokico blue's.
Well, i have the tokico blues and i don't recall any spacers coming with them. They bolted right on and fit perfectly.

Might want to consider upgrading to 87+ 11" front brakes anyway. That will solve the problem :D

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
They bolted right on which car? if they bolted on the '88 without spacers then they will not fit on an '86. If they bolted on your '85 that's another story.

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
MFE said:
They bolted right on which car? if they bolted on the '88 without spacers then they will not fit on an '86. If they bolted on your '85 that's another story.
Well...the '85 has been converted to my '88's 11" brake/73mm caliper setup. But that's another thread for another day.

But yeah i meant they bolted right to my '88 perfectly with no mods or spacers. I think when i orderd the shocks they were specified for 87-93 only. Can't remember.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Right, and he appears to be asking about installing them on '86 spindles. Struts designed specifically to fit '87-93's will not fit '86 and earlier spindles because the pads on those spindles are far too thick to fit in the mounting pocket on the struts. I wouldn't want to mislead him by saying they bolt right on. They won't bolt on at all. But '86 and earlier struts will bolt on '87-93 spindles if spacers are used.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
hmmmi need to check out my front spindles a little closer then cause I always order 87-93 struts and they bolt right on. I'm using KYB's at the moment though. I dont; rememebr if they came with spacers or not and are for all cars or maybee my front spendles got changed before I purchased the car. Any way for me to tell if they are 87-93 front spindles?

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
FordFreak300 said:
Any way for me to tell if they are 87-93 front spindles?
What size brake rotors are on the front?

10" brakes are 79-86 ALL and 87-93 2.3L Mustangs

11" brakes are 87-later 5.0 Mustangs

I think 4-banger '79 Mustang got 9" front brakes...but you have an '84 so it should have come 10" stock.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I figured out an easier way to tell I called the previous owner being as he is my uncle) they have been switched to the 87-93 spindles

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been planning on upgrading to 87+ spindles/rotors/calipers, but if the struts would fit, then I could do them first and upgrade the brakes later. Oh well. I guess the brakes (or lack thereof) should be first priority anyway. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
86 struts will not fit v8 spindles. You must have 87 -93 spindles. I tried and spacing is different and bolt holes are different. I thought I had 4 cylinder spindles because car was a 4 cylinder but alot of digging and ran part number off struts yeah it came off an 86. Explained why it was wider and bolt holes didn't match up. Good thing someone converted to v8 so now I need 87-93 struts. Also 79 -86 struts will fit 87 93 4 cylinder spindels cause the 4 cylinders are wider. Hope that helps cause i was pissed buying new struts off a guy and finding out nope won't fit.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Yes, 86 v8 struts will fit 87-93 v8 spindles if spacers are used. 87-93 v8 struts won't fit 86 V8 and any 87-93 I4 spindle because the mounting pad is too thick. These also use the same 10" rotor. This has been discussed so many times, not just here but over at 4eyedpride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, 86 v8 struts will fit 87-93 v8 spindles if spacers are used. 87-93 v8 struts won't fit 86 V8 and any 87-93 I4 spindle because the mounting pad is too thick. These also use the same 10" rotor. This has been discussed so many times, not just here but over at 4eyedpride.
Bolt holes dont match. I have a set kyb Id like to use but bolts holes are wont line up. Guy gave me a set kyb off 86

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I have an 86. I put on the Saleen struts (Monroe something) when I still had the 10" rotors. Then I switched to the 87+ v8 spindles for the 11" rotors and used the same struts but had to use the spacers. Later I went to Bilsteins for a '94 and they worked too. Then I went with the sn95 spindles for my 5-lug swap, and used the same Bils. Not a lot of variation in mounting over the years. You might not have the struts you think you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok I just sent email to kyb to see if they sell a spacer. Holes are just a tad off. 🤔 Would be nice if I could use them and not have to buy another set. Part number 5005 wider then what I have on car. I thought i had a 4 cylinder set cause guy I bought it off of said it was but someone converted to a v8 cause they are the thinner spindles.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
just went through this with Tokico blue's on my 93. 4 cylinder. Same exact spindles as the '86LX I just sold (parts car). I had to swap to 87-93 V8 spindles, and of course the rotors, calipers, lines, everything. Good thing I already had all of it.

The 4 cylinder and 79-86 spindles are .230" thicker at the mounting point than 87-93 V8 and the hole spacing is slightly off. So you guys with 4 eye cars and all of us 4 cylinder guys get to pay the price (again) because basically everything that is made aftermarket is for 87-93 V8 cars only even though the product description RARELY specifies. MM outlines it. You can't use V8 specific struts on 4 cylinder spindles, but you can use 4 cylinder struts on V8 spindles with a pair of spacers that are .115" thick each.

The spacers. Used to you could go buy some Monroe Sensa-crap I mean sensa-trak struts at any parts store for a 93 mustang 4 cylinder and they came with the spacers. Monroe does not sell the spacers separately, or at least when I called them they said that they could not (for whatever reason--they didn't tell me). So the guy at the parts store at the time marked the struts "damaged" and gave me the spacers. There are 4 of them per car, one on each side of the spindle 2 per side. As said .115" thick each. One could probably make them just as easily, and I was plenty prepared to do just that.

On another car I had no choice but to use the 4 cylinder spindles and have .115" removed from each face of the spindle so that V8 adjustable drag struts would fit over them. That is always an option and a good one so long as it's done correctly. Hard to do with a grinder. I took them to the local high school and cut them myself in the bridgeport but nowadays I no longer have that option since the schools are all on lockdown once the bell rings. If you show up and aren't expected, you're met by campus security. If you have anything with you (like, say, a pair of spindles), they want to know why, who, what, when, where, and how--as if you're a criminal (BTDT). Sad days that we live in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts