Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im doing a dual exaust on my 85 notchback that has a 5.8 and bbk 5.8 swap shorty headers. I have a 87-93 h-pipe and got a double hump crossmember from an 87-93. my car is an AOD and the H-pipe hits on the shift cable bracket on the back of the transmission. The bracket is the one off my 85 AOD. Is there a difference between 79-86 and 87-93 shifter brackets? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
bracket

imo, my 90 5.0 lx aod had a mac h-pipe. when i swapped to a t-5---no problems at all. my .02$ is that bracket or something on the cable is diff. someone with more exp. should chime in soon. good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea im thinking the bracket must be different, but before I go and spend the money on another one I want to make sure its going to solve my problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
my reason to say that was, i know the 351 is a physically bigger engine , so the h pipe is wider where it hooks up to the headers. but in 85, was an aod a trans option? i would think a bracket for an aod stang COULD be the difference your looking for. Then again, i could be wrong as heck too:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is a wider engine but the swap headers dump in the same place. Yea my car was a factory AOD and im using my stock bracket. The H-pipe is in the right spot as far as headers and trans hump goes. The cable just ends up like right in front of the driver side crossmember hump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts