Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if things work out for me as planned I'll end up with a 1969 351W for FREE! I'm already planning out the build-up. From what I understand the engine needs to be disassembled and parts cleaned. I don't particularly like the idea of using an undercut crankshaft so I would like to find a source for new O.E.M. standard size cranks (the idea of material being taken off the rod and main journals bothers me). Who makes brand new O.E.M. cranks? This is going to be a daily driven engine so I'm already set on doing stock rebuild going .010 or .020 overbore (don't see the need for .030) since I'm not going overboard with this engine. I'd like to avoid the crappy Chinese cranks, too. I intend to see somewhere between 400 to 500HP naturally aspirated with no intention of ever using any power adders of any kind. I feel a stock crankshaft and a decent set of inexpensive rods won't have any trouble with this power level (D.S.S. main support and Pro tray will be in it). The 6,250 RPM limit is good enough for me since I rarely take the engine that high on the street or strip anyway. The engine will have nothing other than ARP hardware to keep things together. I already have the induction pieces and cam figured out, but I don't think I'll get into that right now. :evil:

So far I'm just not quite certain as to which pistons to use with the C9OE/D0OE rods that can safely handle the amount of power I plan on making. I want to use a flattop yielding no more than 11+ compression with a 64CC head so I can use pump gas. Getting reconditioned rods would probably be cheaper than getting mine reconditioned, what would you engine builders think?

For those of you using stroker kits in early blocks.......are you guys still using 2 piece rear seals or did the kits let you change over to 1 piece? I always wondered about this since I've never put together a stroker before. I think this would help me for future reference when building another motor later. Well, it's late so I can't think of anymore questions at this very moment so I'll be back later. :joy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
its ok to have the crank turned....its a 3" main journal so there is plenty of meat :)

Those heads most likely aren't 64cc, mine are 56cc with stock chambers and .02 mill......and are only 58cc polished

Be careful choosing pistons for the early block, the compression on mine is going to yeild 10.2ish with a 13cc dished piston lol

get the block align honed and square the decks......if you get new rods try to find some truck 'football' rods

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAT88GT said:
its ok to have the crank turned....its a 3" main journal so there is plenty of meat :)

Those heads most likely aren't 64cc, mine are 56cc with stock chambers and .02 mill......and are only 58cc polished

Be careful choosing pistons for the early block, the compression on mine is going to yeild 10.2ish with a 13cc dished piston lol

get the block align honed and square the decks......if you get new rods try to find some truck 'football' rods

I'm sure the crank would be fine, but I've already made up my mind on that part. I'm going new. I don't plan to use any old heads. I've got my mind already set on a particular pair of aluminum Windsor-style heads. Are you going with a power adder with those dished pistons?

Helmut Roner
1988 GT

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
nitrous.......I need the dish to keep it under 11:1 lol

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Digging up this old thread.

Well, as things are going right now the block is STILL on the stand and has not been to a machine shop as of yet. I'm not going with any of the above parts I first mentioned. I'm going to build this block into a 393W. I was careful in piston selection. I found that JE Pistons part # 131656 will work just fine as they are made for 9.480 deck blocks (1969 & 1970). I will be using a Scat 3.85 crank with a 5.596 rod. Opinions on rods? I have the Edelbrock 60379 heads on my 5.0 right now and will just swap them over box-stock when I'm ready for the swap. As I did mention before the 6,250 RPM limit will stay that way. Crown Vic oil pan w/ Lokar ED-5005 dipstick are waiting to be used. With this build-up I'm rethinking which intake I'm going to use and whether or not to stay EFI or carbed. The car must be capable of being daily driven so it has to be reliable for a couple years at the least.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
Them is some mighty small heads for that 393. Hope your goal is a truck engine that will rip stumps out the ground.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,738 Posts
You need huge flow for the stroker Windsors. Those heads are totally going to choke it up. Good luck getting 11:1 to not ping on pump gas. I ended up swapping my pistons out for some 10.5:1 units with a dish and I'm hoping things will be alright after that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just some advice. Edelbrock 60379 heads on 393w is definitely not enough flow for that amount of cubes. Look into some AFR 205, Brodix, or Edelbrock Victors (2.08 int.) for that monster. Using 5.0 parts on a Windsor (stroked one especially) runs 5.0 numbers. Think bigger.

If you are trying to build a street-friendly combo, try to keep it around 10:1 to 10.5:1 MAX, unless you like buying 93+ Octane all the time. It gets hot in Florida.

Good luck on your build-up.

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This going to be a street engine. It will see a lot of driving. Big heads and big cam are out of the question. I'm trying to stay away from stud-mount rockers, too, so I don't have to keep adjusting the darn things.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Dont skimp on parts... ( i didnt read all the posts) but when building the 393 or whatever you deciding to do... get a good set of pistons, good set of rods and good crank. Do it ONCE and be done. I skimped out on mine and didnt get new rods. Now i just got my new rods yesterday and have to get it rebalanced. Its ALWAYS cheaper to do it right the first time and not touch it again.

SVT

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
HELMUT RONER said:
This going to be a street engine. It will see a lot of driving. Big heads and big cam are out of the question. I'm trying to stay away from stud-mount rockers, too, so I don't have to keep adjusting the darn things.
I just want to point out a flaw in your statement.
What would be considered a big cam and big set of heads for a 302 or even a 351w wont be big in or on a 393. With that in mind if your going to stick a set of Edel Performer heads on it and a small cam then your money ahead to not build a stroker and just build a real mild 351w. The best way to plan a build is to first look at other peoples mistakes and when it comes to heads and cams I have made a few. LOL
Also what makes you think stud mount rockers constantly need adjusteded, They are alot more reliable than pedestal mounted rockers.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
A 393 with a combination to peak perform in a 302 at 5200 RPM will hit HP peak at 4000 RPM. You putting this in a pickup and plan to pull a house around the block?

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1087 cam (old version, not the revised version).
Linked roller lifters from either Crane or Comp Cams.
I already have a carbed Victor Jr. tapped for nitrous in all runners, but haven't made up my mind to use it (not running nitrous, though) or find an EFI intake that can be used on a 9.48 deck.
Haven't researched which carb, yet, if I stay carburated. No accessories at all on the front of the motor (same belt setup Cobra Jet NJ has). Still not decided on connecting rods. The Edelbrock 60379 heads have a 60cc chamber so the compression (according to the site should be well into the 10.5 to 11.1 range). It's 11.3 with a 58cc head with the JE 131656 pistons which I have decided to get.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
wow this is an old one! I haven't had the 351 for quite a while now

Kim has some extremely valid points (as always)...you're going to run out of steam too quickly with those heads

if you take your time with the stud mounted rockers, they wont need adjusted as much as you might believe

you aren't going to find an intake specifically made for that deck height...just get a typical 351 intake and mill it down as needed

working over the heads, and contemplating a different cam selection will do some good. Selling everything off and purchasing a more capable set of cylinder heads and a cam to match would be ideal

Either way its your cash, your car...I just can't imagine spending all that time and money on a decent shortblock only to castrate the combo with heads that can't even make a mild 302 scream

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MAT88GT said:
Either way its your cash, your car...I just can't imagine spending all that time and money on a decent shortblock only to castrate the combo with heads that can't even make a mild 302 scream
I see what you're talking about. I agree if it's a race motor, though. Did you ever follow that thread of mine about the 60379 heads?

Bob's (Rel3rd) experience with the heads and the "room to grow" with these heads is what made me choose them to start with. There are not going to be any power adders on this motor. The pistons will be able to withstand a shot of nitrous if I decide to add a little bit to it, though. It will hardly, if ever, see the rev limit in the car so. I believe there is a lot more potential from the 60379 heads. Flow? This is a street engine not a race engine. Although, I would be curious as to how well they flow with this combo it isn't that important to me. This combo doesn't need to be pushing the envelope here either because everyone in this area runs a stock car with a power adder and hardly any of them can get out of their own way. Most of what are considered "fast" cars here in Tampa are low 12, maybe high 11 second cars running with their baby bottles or girly hair dryiers. If I can wipe the grins off their faces at the track with motor only that's my only real goal with this engine combo and crappy looking car of mine. I can only imagine the hurt I could put on the car in the other lane if I had the heads worked. I'll worry about that down the road.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts