Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Car

I’ve had this setup for years. Craving a change. What’s out there?? I’m running 24mm 17x9 front and 36mm 17x9 rear. They fit perfect. Can I get away with 40mm rears? Seems like I can find tons of those.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Did you ever try the +24 on the rear? I'm curious how that fits?

I have some 18x9 +25 wheels and I really was hoping to not have to change my SN95 axles out back to fox length. I think i already know the answer.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have some 18x9 +25 wheels and I really was hoping to not have to change my SN95 axles out back to fox length. I think i already know the answer.
No way in hell they'll fit. I'm within a hair of my life of these 275/40/17's with the 36mm rubbing on the outside lip. I think if I did more to a 40+mm I'd be okay and everything would still clear. Although the flush with fender look of the 36's always has me fist biting how good it looks. I agree I don't want to change axles either. Everything I have works just fine.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
They fit perfect. Can I get away with 40mm rears? Seems like I can find tons of those.
Logically, it shouldn't even be a question. Folks have been running the R58 wheels w/275s on Fox axles for a couple decades now, and that combination would be closer to the inner fenderwell than SN95 axles with 17x9" +40mm wheels.

Or couldn't you just poke your head under the car and see if you have 4mm of clearance to the inside?

I had to roll the rear fender lips to fit M179s w/275s on SN95 axles. During my first drive with the combination, prior to rolling the fenders, I took chunks out of the sidewalls of the tires when I hit some bumps on the highway. But in the years after I did that, I've seen folks running the "later" 17x9" SN95 wheels ('03/04 Cobra, FR500s, 10th anniversary) which are all 6.12" BS. Based on my own experience I wouldn't have thought that would work, but I've seen plenty of examples here over the years. So if that combo fits, could you do another couple tenths of an inch? I wouldn't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if people have done it.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Logically, it shouldn't even be a question. Folks have been running the R58 wheels w/275s on Fox axles for a couple decades now, and that combination would be closer to the inner fenderwell than SN95 axles with 17x9" +40mm wheels.

Or couldn't you just poke your head under the car and see if you have 4mm of clearance to the inside?

I had to roll the rear fender lips to fit M179s w/275s on SN95 axles. During my first drive with the combination, prior to rolling the fenders, I took chunks out of the sidewalls of the tires when I hit some bumps on the highway. But in the years after I did that, I've seen folks running the "later" 17x9" SN95 wheels ('03/04 Cobra, FR500s, 10th anniversary) which are all 6.12" BS. Based on my own experience I wouldn't have thought that would work, but I've seen plenty of examples here over the years. So if that combo fits, could you do another couple tenths of an inch? I wouldn't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if people have done it.
My concern is more geared toward combos people have used. Having such different offsets makes finding staggered sets a bit challenging. 4mm is .15”. I get that….

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Buy 4 wheels with 40mm offset and use 15mm spacers up front?

Reactions: Nitrous SSC

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy 4 wheels with 40mm offset and use 15mm spacers up front?
I've thought about that as well. I think if it boils down to that I'd rather just swap axles. I've just seen so many problems involving spacers. Including the pains of having to redo studs whenever you swap hubs n' things like that.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I've run .5" spacers on the rear of my '86 GT with 3" Moroso studs as well as .25" spacers on my sn95 axles with 3" studs (also Moroso). Was running 5/8" spacers on the front, now with .5" on Moroso 3" studs. Been doing this for years without hub or axle bearing issues. But I've limited spacers to MM or equivalent pieces that require studs (not the built-in ones) with hub-centric mounting. If you read MM's Wheel spacer safety, and the physics of keeping the wheels on (maximummotorsports.com) I think you will feel a bit more comfortable using spacers.

As for swapping studs, just get a good set of 3" and do it once to both ends. I'm still running the same 96+ SN front hubs that I put on with the MM K; swapping studs was easy.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've run .5" spacers on the rear of my '86 GT with 3" Moroso studs as well as .25" spacers on my sn95 axles with 3" studs (also Moroso). Was running 5/8" spacers on the front, now with .5" on Moroso 3" studs. Been doing this for years without hub or axle bearing issues. But I've limited spacers to MM or equivalent pieces that require studs (not the built-in ones) with hub-centric mounting. If you read MM's Wheel spacer safety, and the physics of keeping the wheels on (maximummotorsports.com) I think you will feel a bit more comfortable using spacers.

As for swapping studs, just get a good set of 3" and do it once to both ends. I'm still running the same 96+ SN front hubs that I put on with the MM K; swapping studs was easy.
If I do go the spacer route the MM's will be the only ones I consider.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Same. I just wish they had 3/4” bolt on spacers. That way I could switch my axles to the fox length for one set of wheels, and then also run my SN95 17x8s that I really like.

I’m not really afraid of spacers anymore since hopping on YouTube and watching WhistlingDiesel jump a truck with about 5-8 sets of spacers stacked on each wheel. I figure what I’m doing is nowhere near that level of abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Same. I just wish they had 3/4” bolt on spacers. That way I could switch my axles to the fox length for one set of wheels, and then also run my SN95 17x8s that I really like.
Well, MM does - 3/4" thick wheel spacers, 5-Lug, hubcentric, pair, 1994+ Mustang (maximummotorsports.com) or Wheel Spacer, bolt-on, 5-lug, pair (choose thickness 25-45 mm) (maximummotorsports.com). I wanted to use different spacers to adjust rear and front track widths. But once I decided to convert to ABS, the rears pretty much can only increase by .25" per and the fronts can go between 3/8" to 5/8" per unless I put a shorter spring package on the C/O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts