Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,661 Posts
Been running 17X10.5 CCWs with 295-35-17 Hoosier A6s for a few years now on my stock fendered 1990 LX. Lots or variables from car to car but with some careful planning and tweaks it can work. In my case I run 1995 SN95 spindles, stock K-member, stock control arms, 10" coilovers, and CCW wheels with 6.75" backspacing. On the front I use a 3/4" spacer (to clear the strut) with just under 2.75 degrees of negative camber (that alone helps tuck it up inside the fender), trim the lower front section of the fender wheel opening and stretch out with a steel rod to provide clearance when the wheel turns in. On the rear I run fox length rear axles, a 1/4" spacer (to clear the inside wheel well), roll the rear wheel housing lip and some persuasive hammer work on the inside rear wheel well. It's a tight fit but it works.
I hear all this, and I see it happen all the time, and then I look at my car, and I just don't get how it's possible :rofl:

No arguing with success. What spring rates are you running front and rear?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Another thing that adds some clearance - pull all the push plugs out of the front plastic inner fender liner then loosen all the fender apron bolts then push the fender out as far as you are able. Wider gap between fender and hood is hardly noticeable. Redrill the liner push plug holes. Also working a baseball bat on the top of the tire and inside the fender wheel opening can stretch it a little, too.

Chassis height is not slammed. Rear lower control arms are level with the ground. 575 conventional location springs on adjustable height rear control arms and a 5-link. The front ball joint PIP is 1" higher than the stock K-Member control arm mount height with 400 10" coilovers.

Come visit Florida this winter MFE and we'll make 'em fit.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hear all this, and I see it happen all the time, and then I look at my car, and I just don't get how it's possible :rofl:

No arguing with success. What spring rates are you running front and rear?

I am with you there..

This gives me tons of hope do you guys have any more tips for mad front fender clearance?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Rob. I knew you could give some good insight on this subject.

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
Go find some Capri fenders and cut the upper flare and stretch it out, then fill in with some sheet metal.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I would say do whatever you can to get the wheels to tuck

- Fender rolling
- Flare fenders out with a turn-buckle
- Run lots of negative camber
- If all else fails, get CCW to modify the offset

Here is what I had to do with my Griggs K due to the 1.5" forward offset with my BBS RK wheels. The first picture shows why I had to flare the fenders. The second pic shows the flared fender (I only had to flare them by an inch or so to gain clearance, others needed more obviously above)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
car is pretty much together fenders are bolted on not just a fender set on and here is where i am right now

that is max camber going to get some crash bolts with that and doing the spreader thing and rolling the inner fender lip I think I will be good than fox length axles in the back.

·
Super Moderator
27,661 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
17X9.5

Mine are 17x9.5 up front.

The suspension...

UPR K member, UPR A-arms, QA1 coilover, 300lbs QA1 Coil springs
Strange Adj Struts, Race Craft 2" Drop spindles, Ext Studs, 13 Cobra Brake kit.

·
Super Moderator
27,661 Posts
Nice some good info on that thread. What is the intended use for those turn buckles? I wonder if its something I can go pick up from home depot.
That's where I got mine. Turnbuckles are used for all kinds of things like reinforcing gates and so on. They're made in different sizes, and out of steel and aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
27,661 Posts

Mine are 17x9.5 up front.

The suspension...

UPR K member, UPR A-arms, QA1 coilover, 300lbs QA1 Coil springs
Strange Adj Struts, Race Craft 2" Drop spindles, Ext Studs, 13 Cobra Brake kit.
What's the setup in the back?

·
Banned
247 Posts
subscribing...

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
What's the setup in the back?
Hoticks Upper adjustable Control Arms
Max Motorsports Lower Wieght Jacker Control arms
Strange Adjustable shocks.