Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wheels are going to be here tomorrow 17x10 ccws just wondering if any of you guys have ran a 17x10 on the front with a stock fender?

I posted in the wheels and tire section but didn't get any responses.

First thing I am going to try is the spreaders on the front see if i can flare it out enough just looking to see if some one has already gone threw this.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know people have fit 16x10s, but don't know about the 17s. Honestly, I think they should fit with a little bit of work assuming they've got the max amount of backspacing and the car isn't lowered too much. Sorry, I'm realizing my post isn't much help :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are sooo many factors. Wheel offset, tire size, what control arms, what spindles, k-member, camber? Chances are you will need to spread, cut, fold and pull.

·
Registered
956 Posts
There are sooo many factors. Wheel offset, tire size, what control arms, what spindles, k-member, camber? Chances are you will need to spread, cut, fold and pull.
This.

Whats your setup look like? I barely fit 17x9 on the front of mine, '89 fender openings though. 94/95 spindles, stock k-member and control arms.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Previous wheels were 17x9 they fit without a rolled fender. 86 K member sn-95 a arms 94-95 spindles. The fact that I dont know the offset of the new wheels doesnt help much I guess I will have to get them on the car and see whats up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rolled the lip on my fenders on my 86 GT when I went to 17 X 9 wheels. I have police/taxi A arms with 94 spindles. I need to upgrade the the front though with a tubular K member, arms and coil overs for better turn in as I already have a Griggs panhard rod and rear adjustable control arms out back.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Break out the fender roller! We used the fender roller to stretch my fenders as well as roll them. Start saving your pennies for some of these too...

·
Registered
463 Posts
http://www.griggsracing.com/pdfFiles/FenderModification.pdf

Be patient, you can roll the vertical edge to match the rest of the lip also. It looks like it sticks out almost as much as my 17x9 6" backspace with 275s on my notch with 96 spindles and sn95 lowers, gr40 sla.

By pulling the front edge out in front of the leading edge of the tire really makes the difference, among a little bit from here and there.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
This.

Whats your setup look like? I barely fit 17x9 on the front of mine, '89 fender openings though. 94/95 spindles, stock k-member and control arms.
I have a Griggs k-member, MM non-offset fox FCA (because the k-member is forward offset), 17x9 wheels and 275 tires, 96-04 spindles and 2 deg neg camber.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Matt's fenders, the ones pictured, are Tiger Racing fiberglass fenders.
I talked to paul yesterday about the flares and the actual fender. I am inclined to go with the fender flares front and rear I dont think I have enough to fill them but with a new edge rear end and a fox v8 width k member and sn95 a arms I think they would fill out good.

http://www.griggsracing.com/pdfFiles...dification.pdf

Be patient, you can roll the vertical edge to match the rest of the lip also. It looks like it sticks out almost as much as my 17x9 6" backspace with 275s on my notch with 96 spindles and sn95 lowers, gr40 sla.

By pulling the front edge out in front of the leading edge of the tire really makes the difference, among a little bit from here and there.....
I took a measuring tape before I got my tires mounted and if I measured right my backspacing is 6" as well.

that is going to be the first thing that I try but than my rear is going to stick out as well my original plan was to do fox length axles in the rear and do the hole fender pushing out thing in the front.. BUT it seems like I would be going backwards reducing the front and rear track width. Maybe the flares in the rear for now and if i can some way pull enough out of the front get the tiger racing fenders that have the opening pushed forward 1.5 inches for when I get a K member and A arms.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Been running 17X10.5 CCWs with 295-35-17 Hoosier A6s for a few years now on my stock fendered 1990 LX. Lots of variables from car to car but with some careful planning and tweaks it can work. In my case I run 1995 SN95 spindles, stock K-member, stock control arms, 10" coilovers, and CCW wheels with 6.75" backspacing. On the front I use a 3/4" spacer (to clear the strut) with just under 2.75 degrees of negative camber (that alone helps tuck it up inside the fender), trim the lower front section of the fender wheel opening and stretch out with a steel rod to provide clearance when the wheel turns in. On the rear I run fox length rear axles, a 1/4" spacer (to clear the inside wheel well), roll the rear wheel housing lip and some persuasive hammer work on the inside rear wheel well. It's a tight fit but it works.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts