Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to buy some drag radials again. Last year i bought 17in 275/40 Nittos DR's and the best i could pull for a 60 ft was 1.91 with my 4.10s. If i go to say a weld rim and a 15in DR with 275/40s will i be able to cut a better 60 ft, or do i just need to practice my driving on my 17's? If i do the 15s i will need to buy some rims but i dont want to spend to much money. What should i do?

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you gonna buy some drag radials for the track only get some BFG's on a 15" wheel. You could use some cheap 15" rims from summit or Pep Boys. I think they are like $40 a wheel. Not sure the name of the wheel or the part number though. Was that 1.9 on spray or not? What do you have for suspension??

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to pull a 1.9 on both spray and N/A. My suspension sux, MAC springs and stock shocks and struts :barf: Should i redo the suspension first? and if so what should i do for springs and shocks? The car is a daily driver and sees track time probably 6-7 times a year. And the cheap wheels from summit are they any good? or are they POS heavy steel rims, i heard the heavy ones arent worth it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
go with the 15" BFG's. you will definetly cut better 60' even on a stock suspension. Also since your car is a daily driver, Nittos are gonna wear out fast, so you might as well get a set of cheap 15" rims and run the 275/50/15 BFG's for the track. I am running Nitto's on a suspension and I am still fighting to get less than 1.9 60's consistantly. I am going with a 15" rim setup for the track very soon.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm going with the 275/50/15 BFG's on a set of American racing equipment wheels....Part # ARE-7675866 from Summit...$37.95

They aren't the prettiest of things, and not as light as some Welds or other aluminum wheels, but they work!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Juiced46 said:
I was able to pull a 1.9 on both spray and N/A. My suspension sux, MAC springs and stock shocks and struts :barf: Should i redo the suspension first? and if so what should i do for springs and shocks? The car is a daily driver and sees track time probably 6-7 times a year. And the cheap wheels from summit are they any good? or are they POS heavy steel rims, i heard the heavy ones arent worth it. Thanks
Invest in some control arms. That will help you out big time. The stock shocks and struts are fine. Hell I cut a 1.55 60ft on slicks with stock c/a's, springs and struts :) Yeah its those steel ones. I used them on my car. But definitely invest on some c/a's and BFG drags.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Juiced46 said:
I am in the market to buy some drag radials again. Last year i bought 17in 275/40 Nittos DR's and the best i could pull for a 60 ft was 1.91 with my 4.10s. If i go to say a weld rim and a 15in DR with 275/40s will i be able to cut a better 60 ft, or do i just need to practice my driving on my 17's? If i do the 15s i will need to buy some rims but i dont want to spend to much money. What should i do?
Summit sells the Bart Economy Modified 15x8 with a 5 inch backspacing for right around $37/each. They're slightly lighter than a standard steel wheel. I have no clearance issues with mine and I run no spacer. You'll need to buy the 1/2" fine 45 degree circle track lug nuts (about $6 for 5 nuts) to fit the wheel better. I'm using the BFG's 275/50/R15's and I love the way they hook compared to my runs last year with my 245/45/17 Nitto's. Summit has those tires as well for about $129/each.

So far, on a slippery repaved no traction track this year, I've 60' at 1.88. I'm hoping for better this Wednesday after the track has been prepped.

·
Registered
96 Posts
dr's

if you run the 275 15's bfg dr's on back can you keep the stock 17 in rims on front or do you need skinnies in front 15x3 i would think the 15's in rear and 17's in front would mess up the susp or alignment

·
Registered
121 Posts
I cut 4/10 off my ET just switching from 17" dr's to 15" dr's. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the 17's to begin with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: dr's

y2k silver gt said:
if you run the 275 15's bfg dr's on back can you keep the stock 17 in rims on front or do you need skinnies in front 15x3 i would think the 15's in rear and 17's in front would mess up the susp or alignment
It works fine. They are the same height.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: dr's

y2k silver gt said:
To add to what Gary01GT said, it is fine to run them like that. You will get a bit less cornering force out of the 15's if you run them on the street, since the sidewall is not as stiff and is taller than the 17's. I ran mine at 12psi at the track, and the car felt fine. It gave a little bit of wobble at the end of the track, but was fine otherwise on the drive to and from the track.

Now, if you can do skinnies, well that will reduce your rolling resistance and unsprung weight off the car. All that will help you drag racing, but don't expect the car to be a corner-carver after that.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts