Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m looking into buying some weld Ventura’s for my car. They seem really reasonably priced but to my knowledge only make a 17x8 and 15x10. I’d like to buy some 15x10 for the rear and 17x8s for the front possibly (not much of a wheel expert) but don’t really know if running a 15x10 tire can be done with a good street tire that won’t kill me in the rain. Any input? Kind of an oddly worded question I hope that made sense

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have 15x10 SVE wheels on my 94 on Mickey Thompsons but they never see the rain.

When I used to daily drive my Foxbody I would run the Nitto NT555R in a 275/50 year round.

My current daily driver has the same type of tires on it right now, Nitto NT555R in a 275/50.

I live in California though, so these cars hardly see the rain.

If it rains like crazy where you live, you might just have to settle for the widest tire with the most wet traction.

I'd much rather be safe than look cool.

Got caught in the rain on bias ply Hoosiers once: not fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 15x10 SVE wheels on my 94 on Mickey Thompsons but they never see the rain.

When I used to daily drive my Foxbody I would run the Nitto NT555R in a 275/50 year round.

My current daily driver has the same type of tires on it right now, Nitto NT555R in a 275/50.

I live in California though, so these cars hardly see the rain.

If it rains like crazy where you live, you might just have to settle for the widest tire with the most wet traction.

I'd much rather be safe than look cool.

Got caught in the rain on bias ply Hoosiers once: not fun.
Do they make solid street tires for a 15x10? I wasn’t planning on running an ET street or any sort of similar tire but i wasn’t sure if they make something for that rim size

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
392 Posts
You can run a 255/60r15, that'll give you a lot more tread options, but it is a lot taller tire than the 275/50 option.. here's a pic of my fox with the 255/60's

This is with a 15x9 LMR 10 hole reproduction wheel too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can run a 255/60r15, that'll give you a lot more tread options, but it is a lot taller tire than the 275/50 option.. here's a pic of my fox with the 255/60's

View attachment 1074856

This is with a 15x9 LMR 10 hole reproduction wheel too.
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldnt a 255 be too small for a 10” wheel? Also what are the pros/cons to running a taller tire?

·
Registered
392 Posts
255/60 will fit on a 10 in wheel, they are about 1 in taller than a 275/50. The 255 are about 27 in tall and the 275's are almost 26 in tall, width wise the 275's are about 1 in wider than the 255's in a nutshell that's the differences in the sizes. With the 255's you'll have a lot more options as far as treads for a daily type, better behavior in rain ect. The 275's almost all you'll find there are gnna be really sticky minimal tread DOT tyres Like the NT555R's or Mickey Thompson's.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
255/60 will fit on a 10 in wheel, they are about 1 in taller than a 275/50. The 255 are about 27 in tall and the 275's are almost 25 in tall, width wise the 275's are about 1 in wider than the 255's in a nutshell that's the differences in the sizes. With the 255's you'll have a lot more options are far as treads for a daily type, better behavior in rain ext. The 275's almost all you'll find there are gnna be really sticky minimal tread DOT tyres Like the NT555R's or Mickey Thompson's.
Where should I be looking to buy? I’m assuming companies like nitto or MT like you said just with the 255/60 tread option

·
Registered
883 Posts
I ran ET street SS.. got caught in the rain several times.

Depending on your power level it's a good option.
For me it seemed a bit too compromised so going back to stiffwalls on the street.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah I'm going 26x10.5 et drag stiffwall.

The et street ss are a pretty good tire, but I have a Ti trim that really ramps in boost up top, so if I'm in drive and lean into it from 60 or or so... they hold until I get around 5k rpm and then it starts breaking them loose up top over 100.

That's what I meant about et street ss being a compromised tire.

Probably great for 500hp or less though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm going 26x10.5 et drag stiffwall.

The et street ss are a pretty good tire, but I have a Ti trim that really ramps in boost up top, so if I'm in drive and lean into it from 60 or or so... they hold until I get around 5k rpm and then it starts breaking them loose up top over 100.

That's what I meant about et street ss being a compromised tire.

Probably great for 500hp or less though.
I should be making around 500, I’ll look into the ss tire thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm running Cooper Cobra's on mine. I'm not making that kind of power yet, but I'm working on a big block swap for my Cherry Bomb!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
275/60r15 in a 555r or an et street ss is good on a 10in wide wheel. Rain isn’t too bad as long as you have a lick of common sense.

I wouldn’t even consider buying any size tire besides a 275/60r15 for a 10in wide wheel

·
USAF retired
9,699 Posts
I run 15x10s with 275/60-15 Cooper Cobras on both of mine. They both have spools, so wanted the hardest tire I could find.

Reactions: Werecow91
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.