Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Granted that I'm still tuning out the bugs but I feel like I don't know my car anymore after this H/C/I install! I either bog or loose traction on the launch at the strip but feel like I launch perfect on the street.

I'm on street tires (Firehawk SVX) and launch around 2000 - 2300 after a good 2nd gear burnout with 20 psi in the rear tires at the track. On the street (not racing just practicing launches) I launch what I feel is better with 35 psi and no burnout...(maybe that's one variable I should experiement with?)

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or if I just need more practice with my new setup. Prior to the longtubes and H/C/I I was running consistent 14.1's @ 98 mph with a 1.9 60'.

On the street I launch at 2,000 - 2,300 and ride the clutch out till about 3800 and wind up screeching into 2nd for a second. At the track, 1st is decent but I loose traction at 4500-6000 and peel most of 2nd as well...

Most of my 60' times were 2.0 with one 1.9 (I bogged the car on this one) and I ran consistent 13.2's all night long at 106 mph. Am I really at the limit of my street tires and need DR's or should I be able to peddle out a 13.0 or 12.9? Is my MPH on par?

I guess I'm wondering if the traction issues are going to keep me from a 12 second time w/o Drag Radials.

Oh, and I'm at 45 psi of fuel and 14* timing with no tuning aid or chip. I'm getting a dyno session to tune in the A/F and find the best timing advance tomorrow so I'll see if I'm possibly running too rich... I'm hoping to find some more power hiding in the combo and that it may be slowing me down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
i ran 12.5 or 12.6 with slicks at 106. you need sticky tires. with 106 mph you will be in the 12s then.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I went 12.7 at 106.6 on DR's. Stop messing with street tires and get some stickies on there.... do it and your quest will be over! I forsee your MPH going up 1-2mph too when you are able to put the power to the ground in all gears and launch HARD, I know my car does.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stickies meaning DR's or slicks? I really don't have the $$ to upgrade the rear end right now so slicks are out of the question. The stock rear should hold up to DR's right?

Also, I know 4.10's would be ideal but my 3.73's aren't killing me are they?

So I'm guessing a nice set of 245 50 16 nittos will help me out then... Any places cheaper than discount tire direct?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
DR's should get you there. I ran DR's until last year on the stock rear and axles without a problem. Discount tire is the cheapest. Contact Todd there at 888-459-4080 ext 414 or ext 424 for Kevin if Todd isn't available and make sure you mention that you are from the corral.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good, I take it that corral members may get a discount?

Thanks 1BAD & Paul!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Spinning ? Add tire....
Still spinning.... new track. :D

DRs wont tear up your trac-loc too much. I ran them for a LOOONG time on my car and it was going 1.9 short times on a stock combo. Just make sure to give them a hard burnout.

Great trap speed man.... you can probably go 108 with traction.

Hows that pipe sounding man ? Get compliments ?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a few wide eyed expressions when I started it. hehe.

I was hoping that the speed looked good for 12's I'll have to save up for a pair of nittos I guess :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dale,

Don't be discouraged at all. Our combo's are very similar, look what I ran my first time out with the only difference drag radials. You have the same potential I"m sure.

45psi could be perfect for that combo or could be way off. That's what took for me to get a good AF, but every car is different. Only way to know for sure is to get it on the dyno.

Get some DRAG RADIALS and get a rematch with that track ;)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I had my car weighed and with 12 gallons of gas, full interior and the spare, the pig weighed in at 3350. Jeremy, what do you have removed from the car?

I know that Paul will chime in here and tell me that weight doesn't matter but your car is a miracle worker Paul!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Pig at 3350lbs??? HA! I could only wish mine weighed that! Don't worry, when you step it up a notch and get some sticky tires on there, great things will begin to happen.

BTW- my dad's 91GT fox body weighs 3350lbs too with him in it... it has gone 11.95 at 115mph on the motor with FTI goodies. :eek:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Why did I know that you'd chime in on that comment lol!! The 3350 is without me in it by the way (3420 with me) but still lighter than yours for sure.

I guess I've just got to save up for a bit and get a set of DR's then :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
FastGT94 said:
Jeremy, what do you have removed from the car?
Trunk was gutted (no spare/jack, carpeting etc...), Back seats were removed (both top and bottom). Other than that...I didnt' take anything else out besides floormats and other little trival stuff that could move around. I don't have subframes or aluminum driveshaft and I have all of my smog stuff removed including the air pump. Dog bone is gone and I was at about 3/8th tank of gas. I think that's it. She sat in at 3270lbs on the scale I put her on.

With AC and passenger seat removed, I think I could maybe sniff 3199lbs.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
FastGT94 said:
The 3350 is without me in it by the way (3420 with me) but still lighter than yours for sure.

Doing the low carb thing, huh ?

Either that or you must be the only drag racing / driving 9 yr old I know.... :D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehe oops. 3520 :lol: Math is good!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think a large part of your problem is the fact that you are doing burnouts on street tires. Street tires will get GREASEY when you overheat them, and will offer less traction than they would without a burnout.

Just turn them over once or twice to clean them, big, smokey, 2nd gear burnouts will only hurt you.

That being said, even by doing that, it's still going to be tough to run good times with HCI on street tires. I can only manage [email protected] in my car on street tires due to a lack of traction.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
intresting, I always thought that the burnout used to help me. I'll give that a shot next time I'm out. I can't really afford Nittos right now and I have another trip planned on the 7th. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Next time remove the passenger seat but run it with a nearly full tank of fuel... this will keep your weight around the same as if you had run it with a 1/4 tank of fuel, but the weight will now be over the rear wheels aiding in traction. Try the rear tires with around 25lbs of air too. If you go too low you can actually make the contact patch smaller because the tire will tend to cup in the center.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Crazy, mine was 3325 with me in it and I weigh 160. That was 3165 with a quarter tank of gas. Weight reduction includes: no smog, no EGR, no dogbone, no pass seat, aluminum heads, no spare or jack, no carpet or board in trunk, other than that it has leather, MACH 460, power everything, A/C....all that. Hopefully I can get it down to an even 3100 with suspension components and a few other things.

Jake

1 - 20 of 40 Posts