Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people here honestly have a daily driver than can run on premium pump gas without pinging? There's a set of TRW dome pistons in the classifieds I'm considering, but I want to use my car daily in the summer.

Any experience, good or bad, is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Me, Me, Me, Me!:D :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
11:1 is commonly used in street/strip applications where a power adder isn't used.

11:1 CR with normal timing and 93 pump gas is a good combination.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
what about 12:1... ?

I am looking at getting 47cc canfields with flatops in my 347... would this be a pump gas nightmare?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
GDAVENPORT said:
what about 12:1... ?

I am looking at getting 47cc canfields with flatops in my 347... would this be a pump gas nightmare?
Most likely... Unless you retarded timing way way back, which is something you dont really want to do if you like power:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm at almost 11.5:1 in my daily driver. I run 93 octane and have the base timing at 8* and my chip takes out some more on the street program. I can run the AC on 98* days and have no ping issues.

My chip is only running about 26* at part throttle and 28* at wide open. There's a noticeable drop in power once I switch to the street timing, but the way it pulls on race gas makes it all worth it.

Will

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cam size makes a difference too. I run 11:1 on pump gas with the comp 290HR. Not a trememdous cam but it gets the job done. I'm also running about 14 degrees timing. You might also need colder plugs. This is with ported World Windsor SR cast iron heads. I'm using autolight 23s. The shorter plugs.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
sorry to high jack your thread back there :)

you should be running aluminum heads, a colder T stat, and as high of octane as you can find.

I guess the key is that you can run REALLY high compression.. you just might be taking out too much timing to make it worth it?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am running 11.5 to 1 compression in my 347 but am only running 11 degrees timing and run 93 octane pump gas with no pinging..I will be putting the timing up to 15 or 17 this week...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
blue stanger said:
Anyone else? What minimum cam requirements does anyone suggest?
your best bet would be to talk to a reputable cam grinder...tell him the exact setup you plan to run and have him grind you a cam accordingly. Also, as stated above, aluminum heads and a very good cooling system will be necessary....otherwise you will have to sacrifice timing.....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My chip is only running about 26* at part throttle and 28* at wide open. There's a noticeable drop in power once I switch to the street timing, but the way it pulls on race gas makes it all worth it.
you should be running slightly MORE timing at part throttle not slightly less.... the most conservative part of the tune is at WOT.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm at 10.8:1 and use 91 octane with no detonation.

I run 10 degrees initial and use my Tweecer to add timing at wot. I run 30 degrees total at wot. It made more power there than at 32 and 34 degrees.

·
Registered
205 Posts
GDAVENPORT said:
you should be running slightly MORE timing at part throttle not slightly less.... the most conservative part of the tune is at WOT.
I guess to fix the part throttle pinging, they took out a few degrees there and added fuel. This is only on the Street program, the other three are setup as you speak of.

Will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts