Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, well i was having a coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant problem, well i replaced my lower intake gasket yesterday, and its not helping. im almost positive its not the headgasket, im guessing maybe cracked block. anyways, im going to order the 302 bare block from summit for 300 bucks. im going to army basic training, then advanced training for 17 weeks. in that time, im not going to be spending much money and im hoping to save 7000, plus im going to part out the engine in my signature.

my question is, can i build a mid ten second engine on that budget, i am going to stick with the TR-3550 untill it blows up, and my rear can more then handle it, i want to go with a 331 forged stroker kit, supercharger and i want DFI, can i build an engine like that on this budget, i have a very trustworhty friend of the family who owns an engine shop who will work with me from a distance. what is the best heads/cam/intake to run on the car. it is gonna see occasional track use, but primarily a nice sunday eveining run around town type of car. if this can be done, im going to be sending money to my friend from advanced training starting in august to get this put together, then when i get my two weeks leave in december, i want to get the car mostly put together. once im stationed, i can come home here and there and finish it and eventually bring it with me.

thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You have already made one mistake...... Try a Sportsman 302 block. Should be good for that budget. Maybe $850ish.
Alot better start than the stock unit. Also when parting out your old engine, you might want to keep the 1.6's, about the only thing I would keep.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the sportsman block more likely to overheat though, i was under the impression the sportsman, A4's, R302's overhead becuase of not having water jaeckets between the cylinder walls, i would prefer to have a better block, but i want to keep the car a somewhat reliable weekend toy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Your impression is wrong... But 10's don't need a good block. I would sell most of your parts to offset the costs of some tfs or afr heads, a holley intake, 75mm t/b, 80 maf, decent cam, and a supercharger. You don't need cubes, or dfi to run mid 10's. The setup I mention with a mild 10-12lbs boost should put you in the high 120's trap speeds which is good enough for a mid-low 10 on the stock shortblock.

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
for that budget are u looking for the longblock or EVERYTHING? to handle all that power i'm sure your tranny and suspension will have to be upgraded if it's not already.

there are several possibilities for that budget..

#1 351 block stock crank, rods, forged pistons 800
heads 1500
cam & lifters... solid roller 650
carb 400
intake 225
tranny (c4) 500
stall 500
and spend the rest on suspension.

forged 347 short block 2600
heads 1500
cam and lifters hyd roller 450
holly systamax intake 500
blower (s-trim) 2500
injectors and fuel system 1000

#3 408 stroker motor forged (3000)
heads 2000
carb 450
intake 250
solid roller and lifters 650

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wont run carb, i want fuel injected, and i want to run a blower. im looking to build something in the 10's that wont break when just playing around town. im not talkin 9 grand shifts, from a stoplight, maybe at the track. i just want to build a CLEAN 10 second setup, that wont have me tearing off heads, replacing gaksets, etc after every sunday at the track

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brad, my rear will handle that power no problem, my tranny is a TR3550, so it will hold up for a little while i hope, i want to keep the car 5 speed, so i'll probably go TKO after i blow up the TR3550, im running racecraft suspension, so yes i will have to upgrade to something that can handle a good launch, but i will prob be able to sell the used racecraft setup for a 200 bucks or so, who knows. like i said, i want to run fuel injection. what is the benifit of DFI over EFI, i was under the impression you could run a much more powerful setup with a bigger fuel system, and the car will still have good street manners, am i wrong?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good luck in Boot camp !! It sucks!!!! Hope ou are not going to Ft. JACKSON S.C Hot as Hell there!! Good luck on your Motor also. But don't plan on making a lot of money while in Training especially if you are Single. :D

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
awhh should have checked out your sig.. my bad

in that case..

run the b50 block 1000 after machine work
331 stroker assmebly 1400 balanced from wynnespeed
afr/vic/tf heads 1300 + 100 for pushrods
1.6 rr 200
nice custom hyd roller 500
systamax intake 500
70mm accufab 230
42lb injectors ???
S-trim 2500
custom chip 500 with dyno time.
and you should be well within budget!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can build the motor for a lot less than 8 grand, but the supporting parts add up quick. For example the DFI you're talking about will run you about $4000 before you're done.

By specifying you want to do it with a 331, supercharged, using a manual trans, and with DFI you've already busted your budget., but even if you hadn't you're putting bigtime restrictions on the recommendations we can give.

If you want to keep your financial goal, your best bet is to do it with nitrous and a DFI. This would work ok with your manual trans. I'll keep the nitrous specific recommendations to myself unless you ask for them.

If you're dead set on a [centrufugal] supercharger, then you would really be better off with an automatic. I'll keep the rest of the supercharger specific recommendations on hold until you ask for them.

- Steve

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
As I said, YOU DON'T NEED A BUILT SHORTBLOCK!!!!!! A stock rebuild on your 302 with forged pistons will get you there, WITH STOCK COMPUTER, your blower will push you to where you need to go......you are WAY OVERBUILDING for what you want to do. CHeck out jimsyellow88 or something to that effect, 550rwhp (read: high 9's at 135+ if it hooks) with a 306, ported tfs, tfs #2 cam, and a blower pumping 15psi or so. ITS EASY TO GO MID 10's....... You should be able to do it for about 5 grand if you are halfway smart about the way you do it.

Brad......we don't need him to spend all his cash on his shortblock do we? You are the king of running weak parts and overworking them.....now you recommend an all forged 347 in a good block??? You contradict yourself....ha ha ha.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, ok, a lot of comments here. i dont really want to do nitrous due to the fact you have to fill your horsepower back into a bottle when it runs out. Not only do i like the power on demand luxury of the supercharger, but i LOVE the sound a vortech A-trim or S-trim makes. I want to keep it 5 speed because i hate driving automatic, and because the car is going to be primarily a fun street car and not a track queen, i am opting to keep it stick. im not going to rebuild my block due to the fact that it is already a 306, going .040 over im afraid will make the block too weak. IBStanged, i am going to Ft. Jackson, im NOT looking forward to the heat, thanks for reminding me:) at the same point in time, im going in as an E3, so i am hoping to be able to save a little money during training. i dont know if there are any added costs i dont know about, but i will be recieving the full 1300 or so a month as an E3, even in training. i do have to pay off my new cobra R's though.
Well, i thought the addition of a stroker kit would help me out a lot, apparently not. i am open for ideas in this price range, needs to be fuel injected though. just trying to get ideas. i was also wondering if there is a big difference when having head work/porting and polishing intake, etc.

thanks for all your suggestions:) keep em coming

-craig

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Is something wrong with your 306? If not, just bolt on some new parts and pull some numbers, mid 10's are cake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Craigm1841, I wish well on Boot Camp got a friend leaving for there Next Week and had 2 friends left last week for AIT there. And hope ya get that motor done. You will be a changed person when you get back. And as a pointer DO MESS WITH THE FIRE ANT"S!!!!!!! Good Luck
:joy:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IBDStanged Im leaving May 15... only a few more days.:eek:

Im not messing with the fire ants, misquitos, none of that, im doing my basic and im off. but as if the heat isnt bad enough there, i start AIT in August in southern Texas, haha.

This is the thing with the 306. it only has 25K on the rebuild, but i am getting a coolant leak into the oil and oil into the coolant. its not my lower intake gaskets, and its not my head gaskets, so im shooting for cracked block. its cheaper to order the 302 from summit then it is to have the block go through that process to check for cracks. you guys are getting me all:confused: haha. i guess with the technology for windsors today, tens would be cake. i want to build reliable tens though. can anyone answer the DFI question i had? wouldnt it be worth buying a forged setup for peace of mind. if im pushing 12,13,14 LBS through the engine, it would be nice to know i have a setup that will handle it. oh, and how much power will a stroker make anyway?

thanks again
-craig

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
paul.. i'm suggesting he not make the same mistake i made.. my weakest link is the block. i would suggest a stock 351 block budget rebuild and a small shot of nitrous personally!!!! thats around 3500!

but a 347 in a good block would be nice also..

and all of my internals are the BEST!!!!!! thats the only reason my stuff hasnt slung across the country!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
N2O88 said:
CHeck out jimsyellow88 or something to that effect, 550rwhp (read: high 9's at 135+ if it hooks) with a 306, ported tfs, tfs #2 cam, and a blower pumping 15psi or so. ITS EASY TO GO MID 10's....... You should be able to do it for about 5 grand if you are halfway smart about the way you do it.
I believe Jim has a post right now in the Power Adder section about his broken block:eek: Been there, Done that...
FWIW, I have a stock block 306, unported 6037 E'brock heads, TFS stage2 cam, TFS Trackheat intake, and a YS trim making 18 psi max....Been a best of [email protected] The car will run mid 10's at ANY track it's ever been to, traction or not...
Never overheats
With timing taken out, and pump gas, on the street, I have gotten 17mpg's! (Driving sanely, of course)

My engine/blower combo has cost me a total of about $3500.
That includes the price of the used blower, the used pistons and rods, the intake, cam, and all of the incidentals needed to build the engine, which I did myself. Figure another $3000 for fuel system, PMS, and injectors/maf meter, used aluminum radiator, etc...
The "supporting cast" are what drives the investment up quickly...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
yeah, and he also mentions making 600rwhp when he did that....I was just making the point that its easy to get to that point without the cubes. All that is really needed to run in the 10's in a street car is about 450rwhp, which is much less than jim's car was making.....and a quite reliable level on the stock block, for the most part. ALthough a 1/4 mph would be easier to recommend, because we all know traction makes times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts