Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally put some miles on my new block, around 3k (see sig) and I took her out yesterday to the track. This was probably my third time ever taking my car to the track so I'm pretty new to this drag racing. I ran some et drags 26x8 leaving around 4k. My best time was

R/T----.603
60'----1.971
330---5.839
1/8---8.884
MPH--78.91
N/A

I granny shifted around 6k since I still have the stock tranny and rear end. Are these times low considering the new H/C/I. I haven't tuned it or put it on the dyne so I really don't know my power band, the thing is there were stock GTs pulling just as good times with street tires. What do you think I can do to get some better times? Where should I shift at with the track heat? I have my timing set at 16, Tire pressure was at 12, fuel pressure at 41, leaving the line around 4k with some wheel hope.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We're 1/8 mile around here too, and it seems that most 1/8 milers run lower gears compared to what I see for comparable 1/4 cars. I think you could cut a good bit off if you went with lower gears (3.73-4.10) and launch a little harder. I think 60' is even more important for 1/8. I left at 5,00-5,500 w/3.73's and was able to get 1.60's with a stock motor and my P600.

·
Registered
371 Posts
95Looker: a few questions for you

Was that with the nitrous?

You say with some wheel hop? Curious as I have been drag racing with street tires, drs and slicks for 4 years with stock rear setup, I have never experienced wheel hop, EVER! Street or track. Cant fathom the wheel hop ??

When launching, after you dumped the clutch, did it bog out of the power band at all??

I know you know that power shifting will cut some ET off for sure, but I understand why you didnt.

What elevation are you running at? What track in CA?

BTW, what Isky cam are you running? How do you like it? Curious.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the times were w/out the bottle since I didn't have the bottle heater connected I really didn't want to bother with the temp so low 60*. I was lauching around 4k really cause I didn't want to tow my car home but I did see my rpm band jump real quick w/out me sticking all the way through it, that's why I felt like I might have gotten some wheel hop,as far as sea level I have no idea the track is located in Irwindale CA. whick is pretty close to the mountains. Isky cam specs are 480/500 lift the duration I think was 257/265 and 112 lc. What do you think I need to get to get these times down. I know practice will help and it's free but what else should I look into beshides axles. And where should I shift at?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You need to play with tire psi, launch rpm, etc. Shoot for a solid 1.85 60ft time. Yes you can go for "broke" and try for 1.70 and below but just do that to get your times. For eliminations and racing after you have established your car's et, back off and launch for the 1.80's. Just my 2 cents. (stock rear end, launching with slicks almost 4 years, nothing broken yet!) I actually bracket race with about 15 psi in my Hoosier drag slicks and run for consistant 1.95 60 footers. Car comes out at 4 grand, dump the clutch, spins just a skosh and off I go! I have a 1.79 to my credit but it sure does feel like something is going to give when I try for those. Maybe its me. It wont hurt to give it hell to get your lowest time. But once you "hit the wall", then back it down a skosh and work on a consistant launch and reaction time so you can win some races and go deeper into the rounds. Thus getting more practice.

Powershift that thing! You are running real close to the traps in an eigth mile and that last shift is critical for rpm drop and momentum going to the traps.(your last shift being the 2-3??? I assume) My stock clutch lasted 4 years of launching and powershifting. I miss a gear now and then, but only through lack of concentration.(usually looking across at the other guy to gauge how I am going to finish- stand on it or let up to win.

I have found my best times are shifting higher than most people think. I have stock cam, 1.7's and GT40y heads and Cobra intake. The Cobra intake alone got me about 500 rpm up on the high side. I would try a 1-2 powershift at 5800-6000 and the 2-3 at about 5600-5800. That is running NA from my best guess and comparing our cars. I have used a G-Tech for 4 years to save on testing at the track. This way when I add a mod, I already know what it will run come race day and its great for working out shift points, etc. Shift points can really gain you some ET once you figure out the best point and that without a dyno or other help will take some time and testing.

You have some good skins out back for traction and thats a great start. Taking street tires to a drag strip is like taking a knife to a gunfight!(IMO)

Your car from what I see, even being a ragtop, your car looks very capable of a high 12 second blast at sea level on a nice air day and without the juice. Find out what elevation that track is. I have raced at Sacramento and know its about 50 ft. above sea level!!! I run at 4200ft and that sucks! My car will gain .8 and 4mph just driving to Sacto!
Heading out from work. Will drop another line with a comparison for you on my best 1/8th mile last summer.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts