Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally put some miles on my new block, around 3k (see sig) and I took her out yesterday to the track. This was probably my third time ever taking my car to the track so I'm pretty new to this drag racing. I ran some et drags 26x8 leaving around 4k. My best time was

R/T----.603
60'----1.971
330---5.839
1/8---8.884
MPH--78.91
N/A

I granny shifted around 6k since I still have the stock tranny and rear end. Are these times low considering the new H/C/I. I haven't tuned it or put it on the dyne so I really don't know my power band, the thing is there were stock GTs pulling just as good times with street tires. What do you think I can do to get some better times? Where should I shift at with the track heat? I have my timing set at 16, Tire pressure was at 12, fuel pressure at 41, leaving the line around 4k with some wheel hope.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It seems alittle slow. Whats the specs on that cam? Work on the reaction.
-tyler

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I would think you'd be able to go around 82-84 mph. You may have more power in the tune. Your 60 ft is needs help too. Have you wieghed your car? You could be quite a bit heavier than most other Stangs out there with your car. You can play around with f.p and timing at the track, but a dyno tune and chip would be nice. Is the car bogging any at luanch?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know with some practice I will get my r/t and 60' down but I would think I can get a little more out of her. The cam specs I think are 480/500 lift 257/265 duration and 112. I really don't know what my car weights but I'm sure shes a pig. What do you think I should look into to get these times down? I do feel some wheel hop out the hole cause I see my rpm band jump high real qucik in first gear without me moving much. I have MM LCA which I know is helping me. I don't have a rear sway bar or subs, I don't know if it will help me much. Do you think with some better r/t and 60' times I can get in the 82-84mph. I am wondering what kind of hp I have now with the new H/C/I.

·
Registered
47 Posts
95looker said:
I don't have a rear sway bar or subs, I don't know if it will help me much.
You should run a rear sway bar! It helps with wheel hop and rear twisting.(Even a stock one) Sub frames are a must to keep the car from twisting, even more so with slicks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Your clutch isn't slipping is it? Or are you spinning the slicks? I was just wondering cause you say the rpms go up but you're not going anywhere. Or are you actually feeling the tires hop? Getting the car out of the hole better could help the mph, but I still think it may need some testing and tuning to find out where some missing mph is. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with Bobo, that you should do some more testing and tuning. Buying subs and especially a sway bay would be extra money you may not need to spend right now. Our cars are worlds ahead of the Fox bodies when it comes to rigidity, so subs although helpful arent needed as soon. Sway bars are the big rage right now, but you could go alot faster 60' before you really need one. When do you use the nitrous? (And your reaction time doesnt affect your ET.)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think that your et is lacking, looking at your combo. My 88 GT went 8.71 on the brakes. All it had was an off road pipe, shorty headers and a K&N drop in filter. Of course, that was power shifting, though:D . Still, the car went 8.80's and 8.90's when I granny shifted.

The 60' seems a little slow, too.

I would look at your launch and driving technique. Try adjusting the air pressure up a few lbs and see how that does. I usually run 14 in mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts