Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blew the bottom end out of my 04 GT. I can't say for sure what went wrong but the D1SC just didn't play nice with the stock bottom end. For the hell of it I priced out an 04 cobra long block (I work at a ford dealer). Looks like I can get one for just under 3000 plus tax. Looking for pros and cons of going this route. Building my 2V to handle boost is not going to be cheap so I thought this might be a good alternative route.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
You will need a lot of counter parts to make it work. I would say just get the cobra bottom end and stay 2v since u have everything u need. To go 4v you will need wiring harness, intake manifold, etc can get pricey.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if I sold my D1SC and went with the eaton setup? Would that take care of most of it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
No not really I have done a few of the swaps now.
If you want a strait forward swap just use cobra short block.
Other wise the little parts and wiring. Will cost a bit of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
a 4v can run on a 2v computer, you could build a 4v, get the mmr 1000 4.75L stroker kit 1800$, find some 4v C heads ($300-$600 used) mach intake 325$ 4v Coil on plugs used 80$ 4v alternator (not sure on price)

a forged 4v engine can be built for $3000 if you built it yourself or with a couple friends

if you get a 04 cobra short block it will have really low compression 8.5 to 1 (with 4v heads) a little higher with 2v heads

it you have the time to build a 4v go with 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression with your centrifugal

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a 4v can run on a 2v computer, you could build a 4v, get the mmr 1000 4.75L stroker kit 1800$, find some 4v C heads ($300-$600 used) mach intake 325$ 4v Coil on plugs used 80$ 4v alternator (not sure on price)

a forged 4v engine can be built for $3000 if you built it yourself or with a couple friends

if you get a 04 cobra short block it will have really low compression 8.5 to 1 (with 4v heads) a little higher with 2v heads

it you have the time to build a 4v go with 9.5 or 10 to 1 compression with your centrifugal
I deffinately need to look into it more. That some good info. Thanks. Do you know where I would find a good write up on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its a very easy swap if you have all of the engine accessories. I just did this swap in my 2001 gt and there really isn't all that much stuff to change as long as you keep your gt computer and harness, which is what I did. Off the top of my head, you have to reverse the polarity and extend the wires on the cops, extend the iat sensor wiring, extend the alternator wiring, change the power steering hard lines at the reservoir, wire in the inter cooler pump, and there might have been a few other wires to extend but nothing hard by any means if you have a fair bit of mechanical ability.
I might have forgot some items but feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a very easy swap if you have all of the engine accessories. I just did this swap in my 2001 gt and there really isn't all that much stuff to change as long as you keep your gt computer and harness, which is what I did. Off the top of my head, you have to reverse the polarity and extend the wires on the cops, extend the iat sensor wiring, extend the alternator wiring, change the power steering hard lines at the reservoir, wire in the inter cooler pump, and there might have been a few other wires to extend but nothing hard by any means if you have a fair bit of mechanical ability.
I might have forgot some items but feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks I appreciate the help. I definitely want to give this one some thought. It's blown anyhow. Good time for a swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts