Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm worried that the engine won't hold up to the twin screw. Do you really think it can work without rebuilding the engine first or do you plan to rebuild before installing the supercharger?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KIKN ASP said:
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm worried that the engine won't hold up to the twin screw. Do you really think it can work without rebuilding the engine first or do you plan to rebuild before installing the supercharger?
psi will be the basic 6-8psi. At that psi, it will be very safe. the 03 cobra block can handle 20psi+ that's the difference :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
lafear01, when do you plan on installing the supercharger? I'm very interested in your results. I wasn't planning on getting a supercharger until next March, so let me know if things go well with your setup. I would love to have the Kenne Bell on my car, since it is 99% street driven. BTW, to make the supercharger work we would need a 03 cobra lower intake, innercooler and fuel system. Anything else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
KIKN ASP said:
lafear01, when do you plan on installing the supercharger? I'm very interested in your results. I wasn't planning on getting a supercharger until next March, so let me know if things go well with your setup. I would love to have the Kenne Bell on my car, since it is 99% street driven. BTW, to make the supercharger work we would need a 03 cobra lower intake, innercooler and fuel system. Anything else?

I will be doing the supercharger (with lidio at alternative auto) in september.
Lidio has already done this on a marauder.

You do NOT need a 03 lower intake. you use the KB lower that is provided with the kit.
We will be customizing a bracket that will reverse the alternator and put it just below the power steering pump.
You have to grind down two aluminum "nubs" on your heads intake side.

Other than those nubs, the 01 and the 03's ports match right up...

All this info is based on what I have been told. I would suggest calling Lidio at alternative auto for more details. I'm guessing he will be doing lots of these conversions in the near future. He is apparently really sold on the twin screw blower (as am i).

PS: if it helps, he visits my car clubs forum on a regular basis. You could just ask the question there.... www.eastsidemotorsports.com

good luck
Chris:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Thanks for the information and let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
lafear01 said:
I will be doing the supercharger (with lidio at alternative auto) in september.
Lidio has already done this on a marauder.

You do NOT need a 03 lower intake. you use the KB lower that is provided with the kit.
We will be customizing a bracket that will reverse the alternator and put it just below the power steering pump.
You have to grind down two aluminum "nubs" on your heads intake side.

Other than those nubs, the 01 and the 03's ports match right up...

All this info is based on what I have been told. I would suggest calling Lidio at alternative auto for more details. I'm guessing he will be doing lots of these conversions in the near future. He is apparently really sold on the twin screw blower (as am i).

PS: if it helps, he visits my car clubs forum on a regular basis. You could just ask the question there.... www.eastsidemotorsports.com

good luck
Chris:cool:
I hate to bust your bubble on this one, but the KB will only work with the 03 lower, it doe not ship with a lower.
it is a direct headunit replacement for the 03 Eaton. so the only way it will work on a 01 block and head combo is with the 03 parts.
but it works very good we are at about 588 rwhp.
also as for fixed prices no , I can sell a KB at whatever I want and yes that is below 3700 and 4000
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
walker887, what is your take on installing the kit on a stock 01 Cobra bottom end? Do you think it will hold up at low boost or will we have to rebuild the engine before installation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
serpentnoir said:
I do not think so. You need the intercooler from an 03 plus the intercooler pump, heat exchanger, fuel tank, fuel pump, injectors.........
Hey Eric,

Long time no talk. You still need to show your face this summer. :p

Anyway, your prolly right. and i prolly spoke out of turn, but i'm sure Lidio already knows all this (as he made the conversion on the marauder).

my bad...

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
walker887 said:
I hate to bust your bubble on this one, but the KB will only work with the 03 lower, it doe not ship with a lower.
it is a direct headunit replacement for the 03 Eaton. so the only way it will work on a 01 block and head combo is with the 03 parts.
but it works very good we are at about 588 rwhp.
also as for fixed prices no , I can sell a KB at whatever I want and yes that is below 3700 and 4000
Don
Walker, bursting my bubble is OK. I didn't have my ducks in a row apparently when i spoke, but Lidio does. I will have the TS blower on in the fall (whatever it takes). I'll send you a PM on picking up the blower from you (if its OK w/ you)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Long time no talk. You still need to show your face this summer
Not for lack of trying. Originally I wanted my car done by May 1st. But I had to buy a bunch of tools and wire the garage for the compressor and the welder. that set me back 1.5 months.

Then I started installing all the MM stuff and ran into a bunch of fitment issues. Very frustrating considering that all the stuff I am installing is top of the line and I paid top dollars for it. My latest dilemma is the JBA headers not fitting with the steering shaft with the MM K-member installed. Tonight I am taking the hammer to the headers in "no uncertain way". I am less than pleased with the JBA parts. You would think that a company that makes headers would make sure that they clear offset rack & pinions. They say in the instructions "will not fit offset rack". But you have to buy the F...... part to find out !

If it were not for the fact that the passenger side is installed and ready to go, I would sell those POS headers and go back to stock manifolds (my trouble is not worth 15hp). Should of started with the driver side first. What can I tell you.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
serpentnoir said:
Not for lack of trying. Originally I wanted my car done by May 1st. But I had to buy a bunch of tools and wire the garage for the compressor and the welder. that set me back 1.5 months.

Then I started installing all the MM stuff and ran into a bunch of fitment issues. Very frustrating considering that all the stuff I am installing is top of the line and I paid top dollars for it. My latest dilemma is the JBA headers not fitting with the steering shaft with the MM K-member installed. Tonight I am taking the hammer to the headers in "no uncertain way". I am less than pleased with the JBA parts. You would think that a company that makes headers would make sure that they clear offset rack & pinions. They say in the instructions "will not fit offset rack". But you have to buy the F...... part to find out !

If it were not for the fact that the passenger side is installed and ready to go, I would sell those POS headers and go back to stock manifolds (my trouble is not worth 15hp). Should of started with the driver side first. What can I tell you.......
well good luck. If you need a hand, let me know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
My headers were the biggest pain in the ass as well. First I had a defective drivers side header. After I got a new one and everything was installed we noticed that the passenger side header was leaking. Had JBA send a new passenger side header and it had same defect as the previous header (unleveled mating surface). Paid a machine shop to smooth out the mating surface and now they seem to be working well. PITA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I'd like to see pics of this car that it has been done on because I'm a huge doubter of it happening. Everything "besides the blower" runs around 3k from ford. That includes IC (both of them), plumbing, piping, injectors, wiring, fuel lines, sensors, etc etc. Then try fitting the 03 IC on a 99/01 front end... I'll save you the greif, it won't happen. You have to have the 03 front end... but guess what that doesn't match up to the 99/01 hood. It's a domino effect.

The reason I know this is because I researched it extremely heavily. It looks to be about 2k more than just buying a vortech.

Best of luck though because I'd love to see someone do it... and not blow the stock motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leif said:
I'd like to see pics of this car that it has been done on because I'm a huge doubter of it happening. Everything "besides the blower" runs around 3k from ford. That includes IC (both of them), plumbing, piping, injectors, wiring, fuel lines, sensors, etc etc. Then try fitting the 03 IC on a 99/01 front end... I'll save you the greif, it won't happen. You have to have the 03 front end... but guess what that doesn't match up to the 99/01 hood. It's a domino effect.

The reason I know this is because I researched it extremely heavily. It looks to be about 2k more than just buying a vortech.

Best of luck though because I'd love to see someone do it... and not blow the stock motor.
well............at the very least, i can do this: http://www.alternativeauto.com/marauder.html

i'm sure the same can happen w/ the lysholm, but if not, then this setup is the next option i'm open to...
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top