Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what is the 1/4 mile times for the auto version is and what are the sticks running too. I drove an auto version and was impress with the performance. haven't seen any tests on the autos so any info would help. Have a 1996 Cobra with 4:10 gears, exhaust and love it, but would like an auto for stop and go traffic.

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
don't no about the times, but an auto won't hold its value as well.. But you won't have to worry about missed shifts:D

Chris

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Some of the guys over at Lamotta performance were talking about the Mach yesterday, and their favorite model would be the automatic if one was going to heavily modify it for drag racing. That would include going thru the engine and replacing the crank, or just putting an all out built motor in. And modifying the automatic for drag racing.

Me...I would prefer the 5 speed, and just not do much to the car.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
clink99 said:
don't no about the times, but an auto won't hold its value as well.. But you won't have to worry about missed shifts:D

Chris
so what's your logic behind that statement?
A high performance mustang w/ an automatic transmission is a very rare thing indeed! :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
A stock Auto is not all that great for racing.. A modified AUTO is the way to go.. Look at what the fastest cars are running. Some form of auto.. You can only go so fast with a stick.Your body will not move sat enough..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
auto times

I plan on keeping the 96 Cobra since its paid for and plan on putting a 5.0 32v crate motor in it when Ford gets around to making it available. I was just wondering what times the auto's were doing down the 1/4 since no one has published any times. Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well I just got everyones favorite source for ET's and testing :rolleyes: , and according to them during some Ford sponsored testing the Auto ran as quick as 13.90 cold, and 14.15 hot-lapped. The 5-speed ripped off a 13.52 @ 103.97.

When they did their own testing they were able to run a 13.13 @105.51 on the stock Goodyears. This was with the alleged god of the 5-speed Evan Smith at the wheel.:rolleyes:

Take it for what its worth, but that must be one helluva torque curve for a 305hp/320tq DOHC to run those numbers stock.

I want to see it done by a normal human being, thank you very much.

SOMEBODY BUY ONE ALREADY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The autos have weaker engine internals FYI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info

thanks again, wish ford would get that 5.0 crate motor out, instead of just teasing us. I got a 96 Cobra waiting for one. May go with the manaul sence it has the better crank. I wish Ford would get with the program and make an auto that can handle high horsepower. Its like the 80's all over again!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks like those Mach 1's are posting some great times. Let's see if our ford source and internet drag racing warriors are telling us the truth. It's only a matter of time before the track opens back up for the season.:D

Razor.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
Me...I would prefer the 5 speed, and just not do much to the car.
:lol:
Not do much to the car, huh?

Ralph Greene
98 Laser Red Cobra (Wingless)
Vortech S Trim 3.3 Pulley (FastTrack Cooler)
SHM 575 Longblock
Custom SuperChip Tune
T 45 4.10's
18" BBS RK Wheels
Lots of Other Mods
(Back to SPEC 2 Clutch and Stock FW)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Eric 94 Cobra Coupe said:
The autos have weaker engine internals FYI.
:bs:

Hmmmmm.... I can't say for sure why Ford would have such a difference in redline between the 5-speed and Auto ( 6800 vs. 5800), but I would be willing to bet it is NOT because the automatic has weaker engine internals. To save the AODE? Yes, maybe... but your going to have to prove to me how and why they are allegedly "weaker" before I buy into that one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
PritchSVT97 said:

Hmmmmm.... I can't say for sure why Ford would have such a difference in redline between the 5-speed and Auto ( 6800 vs. 5800), but I would be willing to bet it is NOT because the automatic has weaker engine internals. To save the AODE? Yes, maybe... but your going to have to prove to me how and why they are allegedly "weaker" before I buy into that one.
I agree with the above. The tranny in that Mach 1 (Auto) is junk.

Razor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
PritchSVT97 said:

i'm not sure but i thought the auto has a cast crank and the 5-speed a forged one? im not sure if there are any other differences

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Blue98Snake said:
i'm not sure but i thought the auto has a cast crank and the 5-speed a forged one? im not sure if there are any other differences
Yep. Right on.

The auto mach has the GT crank (since it won't rev to 7k anyway...) and the stick mach as the forged steel cobra crank.

Technically, yes, that makes the internals weaker on the auto than the stick.

Although, you don't hear about many crank failiures in SOHC motors. Even in high HP applications with nitrous/blowers.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Ralph, why did you go back to the stock flywheel?

Regarding the auto and its cast crank. Ford did it to save money, why spend extra $ on a motor that won't see over 6k rpm (stock) since their tranny can't handle WOT shifts over 6k rpm?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
The GT crank idea might hold up, given the fact that Ford would have had to come up with an 8-bolt flexplate to mate the AOD-E to the Cobra crank that they may not already have. The GT crank would readily accept the standard auto GT flexplate.

My other thought tho is this:

Wouldnt it be more cost effective to just produce an 8 bolt auto flywheel for manufacturing purposes? I am sure this is a bit of a production line headache having to separate the Autos from the Manual motors. This would also be a new technique to Ford with the stang, as far as I know they have not gone to these lengths on the Mustang line. The GT crank fits the Auto and 5-speed, and the Cobra is all 5-speed.

I cant see why they would go such pains on a limited production vehicle. I thought they did whatever they could to avoid extra expense... thats what the Corporate Parts Bin is for, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
auto trans

I think Ford was cutting corners, they could have used the aviator 5 speed auto with the mach 1's 5 speed engine with no worrys about high RPM WOT shifts above 5800 rpm. I drove a new aviator with the 5 speed autoimatic and it hit off some nice shifts above 6,000 rpms easily. This tranny would of have been great because of its ability to keep the motor in its power band longer. Just look at the times of the aviator which is 1000 pounds + heavier than the Marauder but with the same motors turns in almost the same 0-60 times!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts