Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have a 97 Cougar, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same under the hood as a 97 GT.

I wish to put 03 DOHC heads in and run a KB, but i have a few questions that beg response from those more experienced than myself. First, it will go on a short block being built. It is a 2003 Romeo Iron block,with cobra crank, eagle h-beams, probe 18.1cc dish pistons, and all the trimmings. I will use cometic MLS head gaskets, which are i believe .039" as well as ARP studs, for both mains and heads. The crank is turned .25mm/.25mm under. i will use plasma-moly rings, but havent figured the gap yet.

Anyways, these are the questions I have regarding the heads:

1) assuming that 99+ cobras fuel rails are returnless, are 96-98 cobra rails return style, and will they mate up to a 97 GT fuel system?

2) what injectors do I need? can i use my stock 19 lb ones or do i need to go to 24s

3) do 99+ cobra intakes fit 03 heads, or do I need one off of a mach 1. I ask because it will be a while before i can afford the KB and i will need to be NA for a while, so the cheapest fitting intake will suffice.

4) what front timing cover will work best, bearing in mind that i am using a new 2003 iron block and i need it to fit and work NA while being able to go to the KB later on. Does this mean I will need the one off of an 03 cobra ?

5) Also, if i get the 03 cobra timing cover can i run it sans blower pulley till i get the KB?

6) Accessories: what can i use off of my 97 GT engine, such as alternator, water pump, coil packs, crank pulley, valley heater tube, etc?

7) Can i use my NPI tensioners, chains, crank position sprocket, tensioners, tensioner arms, etc as it is a Romeo block, or will i need to change some of it

8) can i use 99+ valve covers with the 03 heads and keep my coil packs or must i use 96-98 valve covers. i care not for looks, only for functionality/price value.

Anyone who can answer these for me and bring to my knowledge anything I may not know or have forgotten about the swap, please let me know

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
check out www.cobrapoweredgt.com for more info, once you get the blower on you will need bigger injectors, not sure on the size, but if your around 15 PSI, i would assume 42 lbs, i belive for the intake you will need a mach 1 intake, however, a better option might be to get a eaton off an 03, im pretty sure you can find them cheep

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already have the block being built up, but are all the timing covers the same or must i use only an 03 cobra one if i want to eventually use a KB? Also, i can't use 99+efi as it is returnless and i want to stay return style

1 - 5 of 5 Posts