Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought the 03 Cobra tank and pump. What else do I need for the install??? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob:evil:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
svtcobrastang98 said:
Ok, I just bought the 03 Cobra tank and pump. What else do I need for the install??? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thats it .It should be a straight bolt in deal..

The only thing to watch out for is the canister removal (they can break ) ..Besides that it is plug and play.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
lemosley01 said:
svtcobrstang98,
where did you get it from and how much?

Thanks!
I bought both items from Ebay. The pump was $344 shipped to my door and the tank was $365.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: 03 Cobra Tank & Pump installation

white99gt said:
Thats it .It should be a straight bolt in deal..

The only thing to watch out for is the canister removal (they can break ) ..Besides that it is plug and play.
I was wondering if there was a gasket I might need? That's the only thing I think I would need. I know the rest is easy...somewhat.

Oh lemosley01 just do a search on Ebay for 03 Cobra Tank/Pump. Here's one for the pump below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...gory=33555&item=7907325843&sspagename=rvi:1:1

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
contact randy stinchcomb here or on the modulardepot.He works for liberty ford and can get the 03 stuff cheaper than that..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I did the install yesterday. It was pretty easy. Only took my roomate and myself 4 1/2 hrs. We had problems getting the filler neck out of the tank. That was a B**CH and the bigger of the 2 blue canisters on the passenger side was a B**CH to get out and back in. The only other problem was the fuel line to the pump itself. Used 3 small jewelers screwdrivers to push the little notches in the fuel line to get it off (They make specific tools for this that are called "fuel line disconnect tools". I believe on my car the line was 3/8" or 5/16"?). I totally trashed out the stock pump and tank. Sliced up the grommets to get out the blue canisters easier. Same thing w/ the filler neck. Totally cut the wires from the top of the fuel pump so we could pull that off last. It was hard b/c of the lack of room we had. Plus it was hot as hell outside too and we were at work so we had some interruptions. It should've only taken 2 hrs but we went into it blind. I did print something off the net but it wasn't really informative but we figured it out. Any questions? Feel free to PM me. I am a novice at this by the way but have basic skills. I learn as I go. Oh, and it is plug and play. No problems (Knocks on wood). Now I'm ready for boost? Anyone out there care to give me an interest free loan? :lol:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Anyone know what the 03 pumps flow? Any idea of the kind of horsepower they are currently supporting?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blown284 said:
Anyone know what the 03 pumps flow? Any idea of the kind of horsepower they are currently supporting?
They currently can support up to 600 horses. I believe that's also w/ a Kenne Bell boost a pump too.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
svtcobrastang98 said:
They currently can support up to 600 horses. I believe that's also w/ a Kenne Bell boost a pump too.

600 RWHP or flywheel? LOL. I just recently dyno'd my turd at 456rwhp and ran out of fuel pump @ 6k so I'm looking for other options and that's why I'm asking. I guess 456rwhp on an automatic car like mine is around 550 flywheel if I use the generic 20% loss.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blown284 said:
600 RWHP or flywheel? LOL. I just recently dyno'd my turd at 456rwhp and ran out of fuel pump @ 6k so I'm looking for other options and that's why I'm asking. I guess 456rwhp on an automatic car like mine is around 550 flywheel if I use the generic 20% loss.
A lot of guys are using the 03 tank/pumps along w/ the Kenne Bell boost a pump. Do a search on here and you'll see. Read the articles in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords or 5.0 & Super Fords magazines. Also check out all the guys on here w/ 96-01 Cobra's and 96-04 GT's. It's mostly the Cobra guys but there's some GT's running around out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ran out of fuel at 6300 RPMs seeing 548 RWHP with 55LBrs and 2003 fuel system setup. I am either going the cheap (bandaid route) of the KB BAP or going with a real fix, AVIATOR dual fuel pumps (281 hps each). Once my solid axle project is over.

J

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
black99cobra said:
I ran out of fuel at 6300 RPMs seeing 548 RWHP with 55LBrs and 2003 fuel system setup. I am either going the cheap (bandaid route) of the KB BAP or going with a real fix, AVIATOR dual fuel pumps (281 hps each). Once my solid axle project is over.

J
Did you see the thread with Chris98Vobra upgrading to 2 Aviator pumps? LOL. That might be an option since those pumps are rated at 290+lph. Thinking out loud here.... :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
black99cobra said:

J
There's lots of guys running the 03 Cobra Pumps. Maybe it's time for bigger fuel rails and lines? Not sure? I'm not the resident expert on this. I'm learning as I go.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
svtcobrastang98 said:
Ok I did the install yesterday. It was pretty easy.
<snip>
Any questions? Feel free to PM me. I am a novice at this by the way but have basic skills. I learn as I go. Oh, and it is plug and play. No problems (Knocks on wood). Now I'm ready for boost? Anyone out there care to give me an interest free loan? :lol:

I have a question about the return vs returnless system. The '98 Cobra is a return style system, and the '03 tank is one of the main components of the returnless fuel system ......... What did you do with all the venting lines and stuff associated with the returnless tank?

I'd guess that if the tank sees atmosphere, the EEC will set a check engine code. Also, do you live in a place that does air pollution checks? I know here in VA, they check and can tell if the seal in the gas cap need replaced.

Just curious,

Joe

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone want to chime in here?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Joe,

I am running an 03 tank/pump set up in my car and just upgraded to dual Aviator pumps. These flow about 270lhp each and fit right into the 03 basket. There was an article written about how I did the upgrade for my 98 with return fuel system. It is at the bottom of my web site. Click on the link and download the scanned pages.

I need to update my site to reflect my new engine.

These should support in excess of 700rwhp with no BAP. I also run #8 wire from the battery to feed them.

Chris

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Chris,

Thanks ....... that was exactly what I was looking for.

Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts