Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in the ford global catalog for a price and availability for the 03 cobra shortblock and came up with a questionable price but It was listed for applications starting from build dates in 2000 up to the 2003 supercharged engine. Of course the 03 is completely different but what about the service replacment. Any one have any info on this yet. I am looking for a forged rotating assembly/shortblock and was thinking about the 12/12000 waranty of the factory unit would come in handy, If the price was right.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
walker887 said:
Retail from a dealer to a walk in customer is about 4500.00
OUCH!

What does an equivalent aftermarket short-block with similar parts run???

·
Registered
474 Posts
walker887 said:
Retail from a dealer to a walk in customer is about 4500.00
Just curious, does that include a core charge for an exchange?

Brian

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've seen built short blocks from 2700 to 4,175 (SHM), however all require you to give them your block and crank. 4500 with out a core charge is probably right in line with everybody else.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
4500 sounds about right, but Im looking for a part number and availability. my price was 2xxx for a new short block but not too sure if its an actual 03 cobra assembly.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Houston Performance will want a usuable crank and block, not a problem if you can spare the down time on your car. If not it's going to cost you more.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
nope your wrong dude. on cobra motors they need a crank and block. on the gt they use a new block and a cobra crank, all for around 3300. check the website

there is nothing magical about fords block. buy a block and have a well respected engine shop put it together. it will be much cheaper.

·
Registered
586 Posts
No, I would be right. Since he was asking about an 03 Cobra block he probably wants and aluminum block and the cobra crank. The 3000 dollar price tag includes the cobra crank but not the aluminum block. He would at least need to find an aluminum block. I just figured he wanted an aluminum block since he was posting in the DOHC forum and was asking about the 03 Cobra block. Last time I checked with Houston Performance there was about a 1000 dollar core charge for the block. If all he wants is the Cobra crank then yes he price would be 3k.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
dude it must be early for ya.

the 03 cobra comes with an IRON block. big controversy about that, don't u remember.

if he wants an aluminum block, he can just buy a used one and send it out there with a used cobra crank

·
Registered
586 Posts
Oh yea, they did put that heavy iron thing in the 03. Sorry, I've been going back and forth in another post about this suspect aluminum block that I bought from KarKraft.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I thought the '03 Cobra iron block was a little different than the GT iron block???
I was under the impression that they were NOT interchangeable....

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
it may be, but u can get one for like 500 bux.

however a gt iron block with a cobra crank, manley h beams and forged pistons with a shm girdle will be just fine up to like 600 hp

·
Registered
384 Posts
3000.00 for assembled shortblock, forged crank, rods, pistons, fully prepped ballanced, etc, etc, no extras, no core for crank or block, shipped to Michigan from Houston, Texas, 3300.00 total

PI Iron block, You will not have any type of block failure related to and actuall block problem. Whether your running 1200hp or not.
Oil system and tune are more of a concern, and no block is exempt from that.

If you consider a bare block with internals, assembled by Ford to be worth an extra 1500.00 by all means have fun. I found 3000.00 was too much for me, not to mention all the extras you need to add, pump, sprokets, dowels, studs, seals, etc, etc, etc, etc. It goes alot higher on cost from there, imho your better to start off with a seasoned aluminum block, since things change after they are heat cycled, then it can be machined,no hunting for parts, with all the little extra parts already on a used block.

My .02

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guy's. Im still wondering if anyone has any info about the factory ford 03 cobra short block that you would buy from ford. Like I said before, the price I would pay for it would be 500-700 dollars cheaper than a performance assembly plus a factory waranty that includes labor. I just want to make sure what I want is the cast iron block with the manley internals.

·
Registered
950 Posts
2R3Z-6006-ABRM 2003 cobra longblock part number, does not include intake or blower assembly. Dealer cost is 3199.99, I should know.

A 99 or 2001 block can be converted over but there is a lot of cost associated with it do to the needed parts.

You can convert the 03 iron block to a regular GT with 2v heads if you want.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check EBay, Earlier today I saw a shop selling 03 shortblocks in the crate from Ford.

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts