Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Cobra with a few minor mods, exhaust, pulley, chip, and a 50 shot of spray. Well here is my real question this is the second time since I have had the car I have broken the rear-end cover. The cover is bolted to the support bar that goes across the back of the car which is kind of a silly design with the horsepower & torque these cars put to the wheels with a few mods. It's not an expensive part it's only $60 but it's a real pain in the ass to change. Does anybody know of an aftermarket one that I can buy to keep this from happening again?Thanks again in advance for your input.....
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
399 Posts
So far none. Joe Lynch has fabricated a steel girdle. Search for Lynch.

How are you breaking them? I run ET Streets on my 03 and am getting some good launches pulling 1.5x 60 footers and mine is holding up. You must be getting some good traction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing I don't really understand, my 60's are only in the high 1.5's to low 1.6 range with a Nitto but the car wheel hops and thats what seems to be breaking this cover. Are you getting bad wheel hop with your E.T Streets? I would really love to find one of these steel covers, this problem has only started happening since I started spraying the car. Thanks again for the input....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Those are some great 60 footers. I thought I was the king of 60 footers on the stock IRS. I have three things I think that helps me. I owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra. I ran street tires and I had to learn to slip the clutch to prevent wheel hop. I think this really helps me in saving the rear end and half shafts. The ET Streets will eliminate all wheel hop, period. No BS. They will make the rear stick. The third thing that I really think makes a difference is a lower gear. I had 4.10's but I dropped to 3.90's in Feb of this year. I think the lower gear allows the rear end to translate the power to the ground and will cause the tires to slip before enough torque is wound up in the drive train to break something. Think about it, if you put the car in 6th gear and try to turn the engine with the crank bolt, it won't move. But, put it in first gear and it will move the car easily. Just a theory. I ran at FFW in VA a few weekends ago in an 03 Cobra specific race and a few 03 owners couldn't believe I hadn't broken anything. One 03 broke a HS on Saturday qualifying. I think a good welder/fabricator could construct you a girdle. I'm sure someone like UPR will make a billet one in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts