Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You always here about 500hp out of the cobra with mods and over 725 with kenne bell but why don't you see any body throwing a turbo kit on it. I know it would have to be custom fabricated but some of those people out there have enough money. Would that car just make an insane amount of power or should I just quit thinking about this?:confused:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You'd have to remove the supercharger, and replace that entire intake system. Than, the turbo kit itself would be ungodly expensive, considering the lack of space under the hood of a 4.6L DOHC Cobra.

SVT designed the 2003 Cobra to be run with a supercharger. Swapping a supercharger for a supercharger is one thing, but adding a turbo is no easy swap at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i posted that in my first thread, where it said it would have to be custom fabricated but i will say again there are people out there with that kind of money to let someone do it.

All you said is what i already know, i am talking about things killing it such as the cams for the cobra are built around a supercharger which will hurt when a turbo is put on but besides that, everthing is forged,iron block,low compression,aftermarket rings.It would seem to be set up right for a turbo to work wonders.

·
4,289 Posts
I personally would not turbocharge a 03 Cobra, I think it really pulls it away from what makes the car so great. If I had a 03 then I would go the KB and other mod route, make some great power and make no sacrifices to get there. That X2C kit, isn't it mainly a race kit and does not let you retain some accesories and such?

·
4,289 Posts
Nah, I think the 03 Cobra is a great package from the factory and requires very little to make awesome power numbers. I think to stray away from that setup drastically like a turbo just defeats the whole point in having the car. If I wanted a turbo Cobra, I'd get a 99 since those can be had for cheap usually and then I would go from there. In both cases you end up having to swap trannies and rearends, so might as well start off with something cheaper, that way you have more money to apply to more go fast fun parts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
true, I am thinking more along the lines of that 2003 engine already being ready to stomach some serious boost... where as the 99 would be a grenade at 12 psi... personally, I would wait until 2012 when the price on all this stuff drops. Think that when they redo the cobra it will have the DOHC 5.0?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Even being a turbo-biased person that I am, I don't think I'd turbo a 03 Cobra either. There is just too much potential sitting right there as is stock and even more by swapping the blower to the KB.

On the X2C turbo kit shown before, I gotta say it'll never work. The turbo is positioned way way too close the radiator hose and around too many other heat sensitive parts. Having no intercooler with that turbo swap will make street driving poor IMO too.

·
4,289 Posts
wesleythomas77 said:
looks like my set-up... maybe I should get a metal threaded line for my radiator...
I have always wondered what heat soaking issues with your setup would be like. We once did a front mount twin T3 setup on a 928 and the heat soak issues were horrible, would cause accesories to prematurely fail and in the end it caused the timing belt to stretch and fail.

·
Registered
381 Posts
CASTurbo... well, the X2C car has been used for daily driving with the turbo for about the last month, after putting down over 700hp and 700 tq at the wheels at a dyno session. As for an intercooler, it does have one, it's using the stock 03 air/water intercooler located in the lower intake... They've had absolutely no heat related problems yet, and BTW, it's no different than any of the PTK kits that are currently shipping for the mod cars...

I guess this PTK kit won't work either eh???

As for potential, you're right, the 03's do have lots of potential with the blower, they ran the stock blower to it's max, and decided that there was MORE potential in a turbo upgrade than the KB...they're probably right...

Justin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts