Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2002 gt with only 900 miles on it smells like it's burning oil after say 0-60 run at WOT. All other times it is perfect. What gives? Are my rings not broke in yet? Also my wife said she saw some black smoke come out both pipes when getting on freeway a little hard.:bs:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i might get flamed here but i wouldnt be running around doing WOT runs with only 900 miles on it. i know i didnt. i waited untill i had a couple thousand at least. it was tempting but i held out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only did it that one time for may be 5 or 6 seconds. Otherwise I totally baby the thing. Just did the first oil change at 720 miles. And it has a filter magnet. The magazines test cars all the time with less than 100 miles on them. (I know it's not there cars.)

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Black smoke = 'rich' smoke, aka extra fuel.

Oil will be bluish-gray or bluish-white.

Coolant will look basically like steam (white) and smell sweet, like coolant.

Hope that helps a bit at least.

-Pat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not see it. My wife did so who knows what color it really was!:idunno:

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
kj385 said:
I could not see it. My wife did so who knows what color it really was!:idunno:
:lol: True!

-Pat

·
Registered
643 Posts
From stangnet.com
Basics of Oil Smoke

High-milage 4.6L engines generally will show some oil smoking due to two reasons. The first is oil making its way past the rings and into the combustion chamber. This smoking occurs during engine start-up, and during acceleration. The second type of smoking occurs when you accelerate hard and then back off the gas pedal. This smoke is caused by oil getting past one or more valve seals.

There isn't much of an easy (or cheap) cure for bad rings. You're going to need an engine rebuild. You can try using some anti-smoking additives, but all they are going to do is thicken your oil, which will reduce the life of your engine. On the other hand, bad rings are leading to a rebuild anyway, so I guess it's like telling a guy who's dying of lung cancer that he shouldn't drink. Smoking from valve seals can sometimes be fixed by using additives, like STP Stop Smoke, but there's no guarantee that this will result in a long-term fix. My 1995 PI started smoking from a bad valve seal, and I added a bottle of Stop Smoke at two oil changes. The car has stopped smoking even after two additional oil changes when I didn't use the Stop Smoke, but there's no telling how long that will go on.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sapperstang78 said:
i might get flamed here but i wouldnt be running around doing WOT runs with only 900 miles on it. i know i didnt. i waited untill i had a couple thousand at least. it was tempting but i held out.
Not a flame, just some food for thought.
I hit the rev limiter on the first day. No big deal.Now I have 47K and my compression is still even all around. Believe me, a few WOT runs will NOT hurt your car. Just think about how many WOT runs were done on your car BEFORE you bought it. Unless you picked it up as it came off of the assembly line, you have no idea what it went through (and I'm including the time on the carrier before it even got to your dealer.

That burning oil smell could be coming from a loose oil cap, or a gasket leak. Put some clean cardboard under the engine AND transmission over night to see if you have any leaks (you might see some oil between the engine and transmission, which could be a rear engine seal or the front transmission seal). Also, some oil could have spilled when the dealer topped it off on their pre-delivery check. It would have dribbled down the valve cover and gotton on the exhaust manifold.

One more thing, I do NOT recommend that you change your oil until it has at least 3,000 miles if you are THAT worried about "break in".

Life's too short. Have fun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, I noticed that after wide open throttle runs and the install of my new exhaust and X pipe I get a burning kind of smell. I have been told that the heat is baking and curing the paint.:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts