Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 bullitt shocks/springs. Did a fun autox few weeks ago & started hearing clunks--alignment guy says my left bullitt shock is blown (and the right leaking). So time for new units. It appears there's no direct replacements available-were these shocks specifically tuned to the springs? Will the dampening be correct using some Koni sports or get adjustables or B6s? Last I found spring are rated 600#/250# rear. (it's a light autox, street car). Do I just chuck these shock/springs and go with something else? I do like the ride height--just barely below level on the A-arms, no isos (never had a NVH issue), handled great.

· Registered
10,369 Posts
The OE struts/shocks were made by Tokico. They were similar to the Tokico HP series, but I believe slightly valved differently. Those are now discontinued unfortunately. I ran a set of Bullitt springs with the Tokico HP's in my fox and loved how it rode, but it handled quite well, but the HP's blew out after some time. I've since retired that combo and gone with coil-overs and love how the Bilstien B6's ride. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to run them with the bullitt springs as I swapped to coil-overs. However, i wouldn't hesitate to run that shock/strut with them

· Registered
108 Posts
If you plan on autocrossing more (and possibly making more mods based on your SCCA Category/class), I recommend using adjustable shocks & struts. Most non-adjustable aftermarket shocks & struts are stiffer than OEM shocks & struts. They move the limit of traction further IN, which means the car will be more likely to understeer/oversteer when pushed out on course. Your goal is to move the limit of traction further OUT. Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to dial out understeer and oversteer, and fine tune the suspension when you make mods in the future.

If I recall correctly, the Bullitt springs lower the car 3/4" relative to a stock GT. I wouldn't recommend going much lower than that when autocrossing a 79-04 Mustang with stock-style suspension (not coil-overs). Going too low will limit suspension travel, which will lead to understeer/oversteer when you push the car out on course. These cars tend to handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool.

As an example, I use Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT autocross car with Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks & struts. On most courses, I have the shocks & struts set at 2 out of 5 (5 is the stiffest setting). On tight courses, I soften the front struts to 1. Going stiffer than 2 in the front or rear makes the car handle worse.

If you ever have any questions about autocrossing your Mustang, please ask. I'm always happy to help. You might also want to check out my YT channel; I've been an instructor for several years and I made a bunch of videos about how to get faster out on course.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOEWzAT17XoeGzSWysT1NXw/videos

· Registered
3,618 Posts
Koni Sports will definitely help the car handle well but just know that the compression resistance on the front struts is very strong. Some people find them harsh but they will handle much better than any of the stock struts, Bullitt Tokicos included.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts