Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work has a 95 Z28 with 90k miles on it. (275 factory hp? and maybe a chip.) He'd like to race against my stock (auto) 00 GT. He seems threatened by it, and wants me to meet him at the 1/8-mile drag strip. I always thought his car was an RS until today. What are my odds? I'm not sure what trans he has.

My wife wants to race our car just for the fun of it. I'm thinking these things were made with racing in mind, so it shouldn't hurt the car or trans, right? Ours has just over 20k miles on it. We love it a lot, and wouldn't want to put it in any great risk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It will depend on the driver, those 2 cars are very evenly matched. If he has 3.42 gears he may get you by a car or so. 95 Z-28 has 325 lb ft of torque to your 302 ft lbs. He has 275hp to your 260hp.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Depending on actual mods it should be mightly close. So close that things like tranny types may be the difference. Drivers will be as well if he has the M6.

Put it this way, I got to run a few with my car bone stock and only nosed them in the quarter, about a car length. But I ran 14.00s in my car bone stock and a 5 speed. I added nothing but a Bassani and 3.73's and could pretty quickly pull a length or two even with a 200 pound passenger. BUT things can vary from car to car and you have an auto.

I say too close to call. But do it anyway and do it at a racetrack. Not only is it the only right way, but eliminates many variables and sniffling.

Ed

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Assuming you both have street tires, it should be close especially in the 1/8. Reaction times will play a big part in who wins. You have the advantage with the auto with two closely matched cars. Especially if he has a stick and is a novice driver.

You didn't say if you had any track experience either...

Try this:

Do not go through the waterbox, go around.
Do a short burnout to clean off tires w/ shifter in 1.
Move shifter to D, stage.
Hold brake, rev to 1100.
Launch at 3rd yellow.
Roll throttle open.
Hope you got him!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I just red Gm high perfromance magazine and they got 13.87 in the 1/4 out of a stock auto Lt1. You might have your hands full. It also dynoed 239 rwhp and like 270rwt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

GrantGT2000, thanks for the help! I've never raced a car before, but I raced a motorcycle while stationed in England. Just street bike races, and it was mostly about beating my own personal best ET. My wife wants to race the car. I might just leave that to her, in order to limit the car's track duty and save on tire costs.

Does drag racing abuse the car in stock condition? Does it need valve springs or transmission mods first? I'm sure we'll want to mod the intake and exhaust eventually.

Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You won't really hurt a stock auto car drag racing. I've found out that you don't really break parts till you start leaving the line hard with some low 60ft times. If you want to beat that Z add a off road pipe and a T/a and some sticky tires then that guy will be scratching his head wondering what happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts