Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I posted about this before, but I didn't get much response so I'm going to write the whole thing one more time to get some feed back on it. Alright, long story, so bear with me:

I lost control of my car one day and did 2 360s into a curb in reverse in oncoming traffic. Fortunately, no one was hurt and I have learned not to be a [email protected]$$ driver anymore. Either way, It hit the curb in reverse on a sideways angle at probably 45-ish. I was standing on the brakes at this time. So, next thing I know the car's still running while i'ms itting on the curb. I get out and look at it, magically, and miraculously, everything looks fine and normal, except for a 1/4 scraped rim...but nothing's cracked. At that speed, it was nothing short of a miracle. Next thing, I brought the car to the local shop, had them take the rims off the tires and clean the mud out from under them, and then do an alignment. The alignment was WAY off from waht it should have been (Can't remember the numbers exactly). Anyway, I figured it was a bent axle, so did he. There is no vibration when driving, and I tried the slowing from 15 with the E-brake, and everything was fine - no wobbles. So I was convinced, after I put the car into the Dealer for an axle runout, that the axle was not bent. They said nothing about replacing the axle and further diagnosed that the squeaking coming from the rear wheel was caused by the suspension. They replaced all of the rear shocks, suspension bushings, and various other parts. The squeak remained. Over a period of weeks, the sound got louder and louder. It grew to where it would squeak upon braking. Then once the brakes were fully depressed, the squeaking stopped. So, I figured it had to be something in the breaking. Finally, I put the car in the dealer yet again. They diagnosed that the rotors needed to be resurfaced (40% surface left) and that new brake pads were needed. THe other reason I had put it into the dealer was because there was a grinding as I turned quickly with the brakes engaged. I figured that I wasn't going to spend the 2xx.00 they wanted to get the rotors redone until i consulted you guys. I would like to knwo what it causing this irritating squeaking noise from my wheel. It occurs at all speeds and is loud enough to hear it with my Off road H and flows with the radio on low. Please help me! I don't know what to do. My latest conclusion is that I was standing on the brakes for the 5 or so seconds it took for my little spinning stunt to occur. I'm wondering if I could have worn out the pads during this period of time. I will be replacing the pads soon to see if it fixes it. The squeak is clearly rotation-oriented. ANY suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
One thing you did not mention was the bushings. Maybe you crushed one or knocked it out when you went 4X4ing. Check the control arms and the swaybar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know what you mean about learning your lesson. I once did a 540 and would have launched my car over the curb but by God's grace I barely made it into a deserted intersection. As for the squeak... Do you here it at all during off the line acceleration? I had a bad squeak coming from the rear passenger side wheel well that turned out to be the quad shock. I simply sprayed some wd-40 where the shock connected to the body and it was gone. I know you said you replaced the shocks but maybe going at all the moving parts with some lub would help. Oh yeah, and also try bounceing the car in the rear, if you hear the squeak then you know its suspension and not brakes. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks....

Hey there,

Well, I don't believe it;s suspension becuase it makes no noise upon bouncing. I don't know where else to start. they replaced the quad shocks, yes. I will try some wd40 and have soaked the brakes with cleaner...so it's nothiing obvious that I can think of. I'll give that a shot and the new brake pads. Thanks man. Any other ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sounds like your rear wheel bearings were probably damaged from the side impact. Have they been checked yet?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear wheel bearings...

Hey,

I'd like some more information on that. I don't know what those are. Yes, the suspension bushings were all replaced in the back. Where are these bearings located so that I know what to look for. My friend thinks I somehow bent a caliper and that it's applying pressure to the pad, and consequently the rotor. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same sqeel coming from the rear and found that it was the caliper bracket slide pins that had locked up and caused it to aline incorrectly. This is not the first time that it happened to me I replaced the other side once before doing the same thing. Ford told me that those pins freeze up quite often.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any more info...

Hsram,

Do you have any more information as to how to fine these caliper bracket slide pins? I'm sure i'm looking right at them, but i'd like to know just to make sure. I'm going to throw some of the lubricant in there also when I get a second to see if that hcanges anything. I bought new front pads, since I needed those , but not new rears yet. I'm loooking to get them if none of this changes them. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
The pins are mounted to the caliper bracket ,and have a little rubber boot around them. When you pull the caliper out of the way they are the only thing on the bracket they are what the caliper bolts to. If they are working right you can move the peice in and out and can turn it but if it is frozen you will not be able to move it by hand. I went to junk yard and picked one up for $20 but I dont even want to guess what ford wants for them. Also check to make sure that you have not lost one of the antirattle clips because this will cause the same problems if the are not all on the pads. I had that one happen too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Red00GTStang,
My friend did the same exact thing about 4 days back. His right axle, bearings, and rim had to be replaced. Believe it or not, the entire right rear brake components were good to go. Just food for thought.

:cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well..

Well guys,

I got in there today and messed around. I put that "Brake Quiet" stuff on the calipers and pads, and it stopped the squeaking - for all of 10 minutes....and then it came back. How do I stop this confounded noise, i'm about to go insane. By the way, it didn't stop it completely. There was still the ocasional noise. Any other ideas? I think i've atl east isolated it to that area of the brakes. That's a good thing :) we no longer have suspension worriesa s far as I know.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ttt

ttt...any ideas?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Squeek noise at the rear wheel is common. Its the axle seal. Usually from the axle bennding under load. To fix I would replace the seal first and drive it for a while, If the noise comes back then youll need new axles. This is a problem on all rear drive ford cars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
axle seal...

Hey,

Thanks FastBack Brian, do you have any more information specific to my car that tells me where the axle seal is found? thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
The axle seals are located at the outer ends of the axle housing. With the wheels, calipers, and rotors off the seals can be seen. Try sprayin some lube between the seal lip and axle shaft to see if the noise goes away. If so than this will only be a temp fix utill
you replace the seals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Red00GTStang,
You sure are getting more replies than I did when I posted the same question a few weeks ago. I guess you are still having the same problem as I am with that noise. It seems to get more and more irratating, as well as louder, as I drive the stang. I also believe that it is brake related since it does it while pressing the brake pedal, but I also get a slight squeak while the car is in motion as well. Hopefully both of us can get this thing fixed soon because I am sick of that noise. To those that have replied, thanks! If anyone else has any suggestions, please chime in. Later, Steven.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ok digging up a REAL old one. I had this squeak on my passenger rear so I replaced both rear bearings and seals. The squeak went away for ~120 miles and now it's back, same as before. Could it be anything besides the seals? how about brakes? maybe a rattle clip came out?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i never had any accidents with my car, but for some reason after putting my strange axles in, the passenger side rotor was very close to the brake bracket, and it would squeal from time to time, especially when turning and taking a driveway approach. i ended up buying two washer and using them to shim the bracket away from the rotor and that was then end of my problems. so take a look at your bracket and see if its close, or touching your rotor.

Ryan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts