Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel kinda stupid right now, because I bought these Vintage Cragar Super Trick rims on Ebay for my Foxbody drag project and I start doing some research. Only to find out that they are notorious for bending and cracking due to street usage.

Anyone have more experience with drag wheel setups on the street, do you think these 50 year old Cragars will hold up? They look cool as hell so Im hoping they’ll at least make it out of the neighborhood...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My centerlines leaked somewhere in the rim as well, just made more maintenance.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I’ve ran welds on the street. I will say they can definitely get tweaked if you hit a big enough bump, but they can work just fine. Idk if I’d run a wheel that’s notorious for cracking though. It’s not worth losing a car over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve ran welds on the street. I will say they can definitely get tweaked if you hit a big enough bump, but they can work just fine. Idk if I’d run a wheel that’s notorious for cracking though. It’s not worth losing a car over.
Well, maybe not “cracking” like splitting it in half, but like a seal gets cracked or something. I really dont know a whole lot about them. All my idols in the drag world ran them in the 60’s and 70’s, thought they looked cool so I picked them up. Just dont know how safe they are for a street/strip wheel. They are so old and hard to find that I really dont know if I even want to risk damaging them. I dont know. Kinda stuck.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
they are light weight. Drag racing only. THey don't do well with corners/turns. When Wal-Mart quit selling rims in the early 1990's, they put them all on sale. I bought about 5 sets of those exact rims all brand new for $28 each, kept two of them for my Ford Maverick which I drove on the street. They were fine for a while but after a year or two of VERY limited street driving they developed cracking at the bolts. In 04 I rebuilt the entire car and put Weld's on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are light weight. Drag racing only. THey don't do well with corners/turns. When Wal-Mart quit selling rims in the early 1990's, they put them all on sale. I bought about 5 sets of those exact rims all brand new for $28 each, kept two of them for my Ford Maverick which I drove on the street. They were fine for a while but after a year or two of VERY limited street driving they developed cracking at the bolts. In 04 I rebuilt the entire car and put Weld's on it.
So I should only use them on the strip, got it. That sucks! Id get welds for the street, but $400 per rim isnt exactly ideal.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I know the feeling.

One reason I don't drive race cars on the street. I just picked up a boring DD 19 ecoboost for daily. That way when some soccer mom T-bones me while trying to put on makeup and talk on the phone while trying to smoke a cigarette and scream at the rodents in the back seats, at leas she'll hit a cookie-cutter car and not something nice. One of many reasons people with really nice/expensive cars don't drive them much. Neighbor owns 4 Ferrari's, he MIGHT get one out a month-if that, and totally weather dependent. Now that schoo's fixing to start, probably won't see any one of the four on the road until about June of 2022. When school's back in the drivers get like weird and stuff. Bumper cars!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I ran Weld draglites. Definitely have to drive differently, especially with the skinnies.
I also ran Draglites. My car was a '90 GT convertible. I ran a 15x8/15x4 setup. The 15x4 wheels had a sticker on them "Off Road Use Only". I drove it 98% like any other car I drove. Only thing I did differently while driving it was I tried to keep extra room for panic stopping and I was more aware of what was next to me on the highway so I could plan lane changes better. Other than that I drove like a maniac. Same as normal. Never a problem. Not even when I spun off the road in a rain storm into the median at 60-65 mph. After my brother came and pulled me out we put the wheels on the tire balancer and looked for a bent wheel or other problems and found nothing. Drove on them for 4 more years (about 7 in total).

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT
9 Posts
Super Tricks are my favorite wheel, but don’t use them on the street. They are a 2 piece wheel and are known to crack from too much cornering. I have one that’s been just laying in my basement, had a very fine crack and now it’s spread just from the damp cool basement

·
Registered
678 Posts
Shouldn't have to say it but just avoid pot holes and the obvious.. drive more aware of the roadways & what's in them.

For the last 25 years I have driven "track only" wheels on the street, some were daily driven year round when I was younger.

Specifically I have driven on Weld Draglites, Pro Stars, RT-S, Magnum 2.0. Centerline Auto Drags, Convo Pros. Billet Specialties 15 x 3.5" Street Lites, Multiple RC Comp wheels, Cartel double beadlock rear wheels.

The only wheel I had a problem with which was drivers fault (mine), was a Draglite... years ago.
I was on an unfamiliar road in the dark and hit a massive pot hole, folded a front wheel like a taco.

Other than that, knock on wood, i've never bent another wheel & I have driven a lot of miles on the wheels mentioned above.. some of which are track only wheels, and even the other "street/strip" wheels, they can be damaged badly on plenty of poorly maintained roadways.

I would say DRIVE THEM!

Enjoy them & have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts